Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you may remember, I had a 2011 OB which I had to get rid of with just 2,700 miles. I've had my 2013 for 2 weeks now and I just had to fill up.

I've noticed a difference in the gas mileage between the 2. When I got my 2011 I would average around 22.5 and when I got rid of it I was averaging 25mpg. Now my driving is 50/50 back and forth to work,but weekends it's all city.

Onto the 13, I just filled up with 357 miles on the trip and the car took 14.3 gallons which averages out to 25mpg. The tank consisted of back and forth to work, a 58 mile highway drive, and quite a bit of city. I'm very happy with the fact that I'm already achieving 25mpg right off the bat. Also, before I got on the highway on my trip, I reset the trip computers going both ways and according to that I averaged 33.9(calculated between there and back) which I'm sure is a little optimisitic. I didn't see those kinds of mpgs until 2,500 miles into my 2011.

Also, trip A(since I bought the car) says 25.8 and trip B(from my highway trip) says 30.6. My range went up to 520 when I filled up! I know I can't go that far, but it's nice to see. I see no reason why this car can't go 500 miles on a single tank on the highway. My 2012 Impreza I traded was averaging 25.5-27 in the same driving, so I'm very happy with the mpgs!

Subaru's seem to be one of the only manufacturer's that actually exceed EPA numbers.

sorry for the ramble. I know I said this before, but I love my Outback!

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
My computer said 26.4 and hand calc on my first tank was 25.3. I drive a lot of mixed but with the hot weather lately I'm running it with the AC on while we load up and strap the kid in, load groceries...etc. Normally I don't start it until I absolutely have to. My Legacy in similar conditions probably would have been 26 max 27 so I'm very happy as well!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to add I usually keep the a/c on the third bar most of the time. I also don't let the car idle unless I need to.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
As many of you may remember, I had a 2011 OB which I had to get rid of with just 2,700 miles. I've had my 2013 for 2 weeks now and I just had to fill up.

I've noticed a difference in the gas mileage between the 2. When I got my 2011 I would average around 22.5 and when I got rid of it I was averaging 25mpg. Now my driving is 50/50 back and forth to work,but weekends it's all city.

Onto the 13, I just filled up with 357 miles on the trip and the car took 14.3 gallons which averages out to 25mpg. The tank consisted of back and forth to work, a 58 mile highway drive, and quite a bit of city. I'm very happy with the fact that I'm already achieving 25mpg right off the bat. Also, before I got on the highway on my trip, I reset the trip computers going both ways and according to that I averaged 33.9(calculated between there and back) which I'm sure is a little optimisitic. I didn't see those kinds of mpgs until 2,500 miles into my 201

Also, trip A(since I bought the car) says 25.8 and trip B(from my highway trip) says 30.6. My range went up to 520 when I filled up! I know I can't go that far, but it's nice to see. I see no reason why this car can't go 500 miles on a single tank on the highway. My 2012 Impreza I traded was averaging 25.5-27 in the same driving, so I'm very happy with the mpgs!

Subaru's seem to be one of the only manufacturer's that actually exceed EPA numbers.

My 12 Impreza has a hard time meeting the 27 mpg rating in the city. I'm around 23 with a little over 2k on it. In comparison, my 10 OB with the EJ/CVT meets that. I do drive hard though.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
Forgot to add I usually keep the a/c on the third bar most of the time.
The speed of the HVAC fan really has nothing to do with your gas mileage. Set the HVAC to the most comfortable setting for you and your passengers, and forget about the fan speed having any effect on your gas mileage.

:29:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 12 Impreza has a hard time meeting the 27 mpg rating in the city. I'm around 23 with a little over 2k on it. In comparison, my 10 OB with the EJ/CVT meets that. I do drive hard though.
I had no problems averaging 25.5-27. I took a 1,400 mile trip back in May and my thoughts on the highway mileage were that I could easily do the same in the OB. I averaged 33. I wasn't impressed with the highway mpgs and I never got 36.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
On our under 300 mile 2013 Outback 2.5i we were getting 34 mpg in the flat lands going 75 mph with AC on, but going up hills it kicked down to 24-25. Average for the trip was probably around 28 mpg. I have heard of 2012's getting over 30 mpg on the hwy flat grounds, but that probably comes after some mileage on the odo

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Sat in the Arbys drive through for 15 minutes last night watching my MPGs fall, fall and fall some more! I was so frustrated but I couldn't back out because there were people behind me. This is why I almost always park and go in. However showing up home without that orange creme shake for a 38 week pregnant wife would have been a bad idea.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts

Onto the 13, I just filled up with 357 miles on the trip and the car took 14.3 gallons which averages out to 25mpg. The tank consisted of back and forth to work, a 58 mile highway drive, and quite a bit of city. I'm very happy with the fact that I'm already achieving 25mpg right off the bat. Also, before I got on the highway on my trip, I reset the trip computers going both ways and according to that I averaged 33.9(calculated between there and back) which I'm sure is a little optimisitic. I didn't see those kinds of mpgs until 2,500 miles into my 2011.

I have noticed a very slight up tick in my mileage around town I do a two kid daycare run twice a day which is all semi rural a couple of stop signs a decent hill etc - two years ago the 2010 was posting a solid 23-24mpg with around 15,000 miles on the ODO.

That same run now it is posting a solid 25.9 mpg and I'm not trying to get good mileage. ODO is at 38,000 miles.

The new engine design will be interesting to see if the mileage is fairly stable from the get go or if it shows decent gains as you get miles on the engine and it breaks in more. Also I wonder if the torque which comes on earlier and has a flatter curve will result in better city MPG over all given its giving you more grunt at lower power so in general your going to be lighter on the throttle than the old 2.5 - this will probably be very slight difference but even a slight change in throttle behavior seems to impact the old 2.5 in fairly decent changes in MPG averages.

Very interesting to see how the new engine does as it gets miles on it. Congrats on the new car!

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have noticed a very slight up tick in my mileage around town I do a two kid daycare run twice a day which is all semi rural a couple of stop signs a decent hill etc - two years ago the 2010 was posting a solid 23-24mpg with around 15,000 miles on the ODO.

That same run now it is posting a solid 25.9 mpg and I'm not trying to get good mileage. ODO is at 38,000 miles.

The new engine design will be interesting to see if the mileage is fairly stable from the get go or if it shows decent gains as you get miles on the engine and it breaks in more. Also I wonder if the torque which comes on earlier and has a flatter curve will result in better city MPG over all given its giving you more grunt at lower power so in general your going to be lighter on the throttle than the old 2.5 - this will probably be very slight difference but even a slight change in throttle behavior seems to impact the old 2.5 in fairly decent changes in MPG averages.

Very interesting to see how the new engine does as it gets miles on it. Congrats on the new car!
Thanks! Hit 400 miles today. I have gone about 45 miles and it's just hovering on full. Also, got stuck in some traffic this afternoon and the mpgs actually stayed at 25.8 which was surprising. Unfortunately around here it's true city. Traffic lights are very close together and they are timed very poorly. It's not until you get out of the city that it gets better.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
So far there are not too many 2013's on Fuelly, but I filtered for the H4 engine and the two 2013's are averaging 25.9 MPG over 8 total fuel-ups so far.

There are 72 2012 H4s (including mine) averaging 25.5.

It's too close to tell yet, but I would guess that the new FB25 engine will eventually generate about 1 real-world mpg more than the older EJ engine in this car.

Subaru Outback MPG Reports | Fuelly

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
1,011 Posts
Well, the 2013 OB 2.5i (with the FB25 engine) has an EPA rating of 24/30, whereas the 2010-2012 2.5i's had an EPA rating of 22/29, so it seems reasonable to expect about a 1 mpg improvement.

The 3.6R's EPA rating for all years is 18/25.

My driving (I have a 3.6R Limited) is mostly highway to work but in heavy start/stop traffic a lot of the time. My average mpg as read by the dash gauge is usually between 24.6 and 25.2, and gets 1 mpg worse if I calculate it using actual gas purchases (i.e, between 23.6 and 24.2).

On pure highway driving, on long trips, etc., the gauge average is routinely 27 and change, and sometime 28-29 (again, subtract 1 for "real usage"). But still above the EPA highway rating. I think my worst tankful ever was 22.8. Not bad for a 3.6!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ignition key broken?

I'm going to play "nice Looby," just so I can claim I've seen such a thing.....and even though I did it. ;)

Turning off the car in a drive through is a good idea; it is a myth that starting a car, per se, "wastes gas."

If you're going to sit for more than 15-20 seconds, shut the car off and restart when it's time to move. About the only time I'm ever in a drive-through is the bank, and I do it without fail.

BMW now has an auto-kill feature that does this every time you stop, and then auto-restarts when you push on the gas pedal. I think some hybrids, like Prius, have had this all along.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
Turning off the car in a drive through is a good idea; it is a myth that starting a car, per se, "wastes gas."

If you're going to sit for more than 15-20 seconds, shut the car off and restart when it's time to move. About the only time I'm ever in a drive-through is the bank, and I do it without fail.
There's got to be some "waste" involved with starting a car, as fuel is being used not to move the car, but overcome the engine's inertia. However, I agree that if you are stopped for really any amount of time, you are wasting more gas idling than it takes to start the car.

I'd imagine the myth was probably born in a different era of car technology, where there might have been greater waste in terms of gas and time starting the engine.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
There's got to be some "waste" involved with starting a car, as fuel is being used not to move the car, but overcome the engine's inertia. However, I agree that if you are stopped for really any amount of time, you are wasting more gas idling than it takes to start the car.

I'd imagine the myth was probably born in a different era of car technology, where there might have been greater waste in terms of gas and time starting the engine.
Hey guys if you spend a week in the Serengeti shutting the engine off every time you stop even if its for a minute makes a big difference in fuel use. We spent two weeks out and about our truck was owned by a small company three drivers three trucks they log their fuel use and hold a competition to see who can get the best mileage per trip etc.

I was asking our driver former Tech worker for a phone company wrote java code ha ha. Anyway started talking to him about mileage of the strait 6 TD in the truck and during a lunch break he pulled out the fuel log to show me. One of the drivers his first time out never did the shut down and start up and posted 19.5mpg US numbers for a two week trip.

He then showed me our trip so far one fuel top off done a day before. Our average was running at 25.5mpg and he said that nearly every trip he does with that truck which was just over a year old with the newest TD engine toyota put in the REAL flat sided land cruisers which get purchased in Japan and shipped to Africa where they get completely torn down - stretched - and have military grade leaf springs added and 9ply tires put on them. He said the weight gain doubles the original weight of the vehicle!

Oil companies would fight tooth and nail to keep clean TD large SUV's out of the US if all of us wanted our 25mpg huge heavy SUV's LOL

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts