Subaru Outback Forums banner

Differences / Interchangeability of TR580 CVT "Lineartronic" Especially TR580KHEAA vs. TR580KHEBA

Gen 4 
43K views 60 replies 24 participants last post by  Jaroob 
Major props to BNoland for pulling this off!
I'm curious if the shifting behavior is any different. If I recall the 2015+ introduced those fake shift points when accelerating to mimic a regular AT. Not sure if this is a function of the TCM or the valve body. If I understand correctly, you're still using the existing 2014 TCM, correct?

Now if we combine this with teebeekay's successful install of a 2014 CVT into a 2013 Outback (see this thread ) It would appear that with minor modification, a 2015/2016 Legacy Sedan's CVT is, in fact, compatible with both 2013 and 2014 Outbacks.

Hey I had some question about a transmission swap for my 13 subaru outback wagon, I put a 15 legacy sedan trans in and swapped wiring harness over and the trans lines but now it wont go into any gear, and im getting a p0841 and p0700, i was wondering if I needed to do a trans relearn or somthing before it will go into gear, View attachment 538649 View attachment 538649
Check continuity of the fluid pressure sensor and wiring harness. Sounds like it's not going into gear because it's not getting the expected signal from the fluid pressure sensor. See Service Bulletin for P0841 diagnosis here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10111091-9999.pdf

Nevermind...as expected, the torque converter wasn't fully seated.

I hate to be the guy that drags up an old thread but I'm stuck. I'm working on putting a newer legacy transmission into my wife's 2014 OB. Everything was going fine until it came time to tighten the bell housing bolts. I slid the transmission/engine together as far as possible; till the alignment pins started into the holes. When I start pulling the engine and transmission together with the bell housing bolts the assembly binds up so the engine won't turn over.

Any ideas? I'm using the newer torque converter that came with the legacy transmission. I left the torque converter on the transmission and made sure it was fully seated before mating to the engine; this is how I usually do it when changing a transmission but this is my first Subaru transmission change. I have a couple of the torque converter to flex plate bolts installed.
Let us know how it works out!

Pretty good so far. Finished up yesterday and drove the car for some errands. Then the wife wanted to go to a rodeo that was about an hour away so we took the OB. Drove really nice, but the comparison is the old transmission which jerked like crazy and had torque bind so…

There seems to be a slight wobble at low speed during acceleration. Not sure what it is or if it really exists. I’ll keep checking things over and putting some drive time on the car.

The transmission came out of a 2017 Legacy. I used the torque converter that came with the transmission. I swapped out the top plate, wiring harness and cooler lines.
Nice work! How's the condition of your transmission mount? If that's worn or cracked, it could cause a low speed wobble. Some of the lifted guys install a "cke" rubber insert to stiffen up that mount and reduce the low speed wobble from the increased prop shaft angle.