Subaru Outback Forums banner

Differences / Interchangeability of TR580 CVT "Lineartronic" Especially TR580KHEAA vs. TR580KHEBA

Gen 4 
43K views 60 replies 24 participants last post by  Jaroob 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I'll get to it. I've got a 2014 Outback Wagon 2.5 CVT, the chain/guides are pretty noisy and I'm planning to replace the whole transmission. I'm trying to figure out what all would interchange and be a "plug and play" option. From the research I have done I know that the 2014 Wagon has a TR580KHEBA and the 2014 Sedan has a TR580KHEAA designation. Is the only difference the Torque Converter? How about a TR580GHDBA in a 2015 sedan or a TR580SHACA in a 2015 wagon? Any light to illuminate any differences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

According to Hollander interchange (salvage yard software) it is 2014 only, Wagon only, 2.5l only....

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Cars101.com lists the final drive ratio as different between the wagon (3.90) and the sedan(3.70). This would mean that the transmissions are NOT interchangeable because they need to be matched to the rear end gear.
I noticed that also, but the differential is a replaceable part of the transmission so options could be:

1. Swap front differential from old transmission to replacement transmission
2. buy Sedan transmission with rear differential and TCM (shows slightly different part number) and hope everything else will "jive"
3. spend 3 times the money for a transmission with 3 times as many miles out of an actual wagon.

thoughts?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I also see that the 2015-2017 outback SEDAN uses a 3.90 ratio, but the TCM mounts on top of the tranny... would the plugs off the tranny still plug into my 2014 harness? (my TCM is behind the dash)

Discussion starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, I finally had time to work on my 2014 Legacy Outback Wagon CVT. Here's what I ended up doing. I noticed that the 2014 Wagon and the 2016 Sedan have the same final drive ratio, which is important since the front differential is basically integral with the Transmission (at least I wasn't willing to swap them) I also went this route because the prices and selections of used ones on Car-Part.com was WAY better than the 14 wagons. I knew going in that the TCM (Transmission Computer) was different as in my 14 wagon it mounts behind the glove box and on the 16 sedan it mounts on top of the transmission itself AND they were made by different manufacturers. So I ordered up a transmission out of a 2016 Legacy Sedan that had 7,000 miles on it for $275 plus shipping and got to it. the ONLY things that will need to be swapped is the top cover (held on by 12 10mm bolts on top of the transmission) and the cooler lines (unbolt from case). The top cover of the transmission uses a metal gasket and I did reuse it with no problem, once the cover is off, you will see a white electrical plug that attaches the top cover to the transmission, simply unplug it and use the cover and wiring harness off of your original transmission. I will attempt to upload some pictures.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Machine
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part
Sculpture Auto part Art Carving Statue
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle

Attachments

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Transmission installed, TCM reset (used my Autel 906BT), I've put about 100 miles on it. it works perfectly! 0 issues whatsoever. if your thinking of replacing your '14 wagon CVT do yourself a favor and get a '15/'16 sedan CVT. It's not 100% plug and play, but SUPER easy to change over the top plate and the cooler lines.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
yes, according to Hollander all 2014 2.5L AT Wagons had a 3.90 ratio and all 2015 2.5L AT Sedans had a 3.90 ratio. see below
2014 Subaru Outback (Legacy)
Carrier

Rear, SW, 2.5L, MT (4.44 ratio)
Rear, SW, 3.6L (AT, 3.08 ratio)
Rear, Sdn, 3.6L (AT, 3.08 ratio)
Rear, SW, 2.5L, AT (CVT, 3.90 ratio)
Rear, Sdn, 2.5L, AT (CVT, 3.70 ratio)
Rear, Sdn, 2.5L, MT (4.11 ratio)

2015 Subaru Outback (Legacy)
Carrier

Rear, Sedan, 2.5L, AT (3.90 ratio)
Rear, Sedan, 2.5L, MT (4.11 ratio)
Rear, Sedan, 3.6L (4.11 ratio)
Rear, Wagon, 2.5L, AT (4.11 ratio)
Rear, Wagon, 2.5L, MT (4.44 ratio)
Rear, Wagon, 3.6L (4.11 ratio)

Discussion starter · #19 ·
I'm assuming the "fake shift points" is a function of the TCM (which is still the original unit behind the glovebox)

I went with the 906BT because it does have some of the functionality of the 908P (minus the J box) So I was able to go into the TCM, select "Special Function" then "Clear AT learning Value" and then "Compulsory Learning Mode" which had me hold the brake pedal in D and R if i remember correctly. I think its an important step to take, to reset the pressures/etc. that were still programmed in from the failed 100k mile unit.

I hope this is helpful to others!