Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Also did the swap this past week. went very well!

huge thanks to Bnoland for writing this up

and to JJ1390 for answering a bunch of questions I had.

300 miles on it so far, and no problems at all.

the transmission I bought for the swap was from a 2015 legacy.

it took about 11 quarts of CVT fluid to completely fill it.
used a mixture of Valvoline cvt fluid and the OEM subaru cvt fluid from my local subaru dealership.

also checked and filled the differential fluid after I installed the trans, which took about 2 quarts.

I'm assuming the "fake shift points" is a function of the TCM (which is still the original unit behind the glovebox)

I went with the 906BT because it does have some of the functionality of the 908P (minus the J box) So I was able to go into the TCM, select "Special Function" then "Clear AT learning Value" and then "Compulsory Learning Mode" which had me hold the brake pedal in D and R if i remember correctly. I think its an important step to take, to reset the pressures/etc. that were still programmed in from the failed 100k mile unit.

I hope this is helpful to others!
Yes the TCM controls the "shift points"

any follow ups on these sawps? i have a 13 that has a bad trans
So far so good, i'm up to about 1500 miles since the swap and it's been going well.

Had to top off the cvt fluid about 500 miles in, as the trans i got was apparently drained out completely.
Total from when i installed it, it took ~11 or 12 quarts to fill

on occasion i will have hesitation when accelerating from a full stop, but according to other threads (with stock trans) that could be because of the way subaru has their shift points programmed.
will be re-doing the learned shift points soon.

but yeah. pretty awesome, really happy with how it went and I have pretty decent confidence in it.

I would be putting those in new anyways before i installed it.

I have heard of a 15 going into a 14 model

if all the sensors bolt up and the differential gearing is the same I would get the newest one i could. if the 15 works then generally speaking any trans from the same driveline setup should as wel (15-19)l

I would be putting those in new anyways before i installed it.

I have heard of a 15 going into a 14 model

if all the sensors bolt up and the differential gearing is the same I would get the newest one i could. if the 15 works then generally speaking any trans from the same driveline setup should as wel (15-19)l
all the wiring on my 13 plugged into the 15 transmission sensors.

Following this tread have a 2013 outback 2.5L 3.9 gears. Found a 2017 legacy trans same gears and wondering if changing the top plate and cooling lines would work on the swap as well. Never had an issue with the converter and wondering if I should put in the 2017 converter. Original Transmission had 220k on it. Thank you in advanced for all the help

I have a 2014 outback with the 2.5 and the front diff is clunking and gets really loud. I found a 2015 subaru legacy tranmission for $480 with no torque converter. This should work fine correct? Reusing the torque converter won't cause any issues? Car-part.com shows the tranmission up to a 17 to interchange with the 2015 on the tranmission. Just a bit worried.

I purchased a transmission for a 2015 legacy sedan and will be replacing it later this week. Any hints/tips? Any value in the old transmission? The issue with old transmission is the differential, not the transmission part.

I got the replacement transmission today and got the old one pulled. The torque converter stayed on the motor. Do i need to pull it or can i leave it on the motor when i install the new transmission?

Well, I got the new transmission installed, and left the torque converter on the engine. It worked great. Then 3 miles from the house on first drive after installing I hit a deer and totaled the car. Airbags deployed and everything.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts