Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two diff sets of tires on my car . They have been on for about 2500 miles . What will will happen of I keep these tires on the car ? If I change the tires and get four of the same all the way around will stop the hurt. ?

Concerned

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
No problem at all...

unless they are more than 2/32" different in wear or size. Then you'll be doing a search for torque bind. Great way to damage the drive train is to not go out and get 4 new tires... right now... today!!!

Now if they are all the same size and wear, then no problem.

·
Registered
16,290 Posts
Also here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/47883-two-different-tires.html

The tread depth tolerance (2/32-inch) would apply only to identical tires which, it is assumed, would also have the same circumference to begin with.

Tires of different brands or models, even if the same nominal size, might not have the same circumference, either initially, or under load due to different tire construction. They also might not have the same starting (new) tread depth. For example, one tire might have a 10/32 tread depth when new, while another might have 11/32 when new (they are different tread design). These tires would probably not have the same circumference to begin with. Consequently, tread depth measurement should only be used with identical brand/model/size tires, and be understood to be a "first approximation" to determining if the circumferences are different.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I would bite the bullet and buy four identical tires. These cars are much happier if all four corners match and it might save you bigger hassles and costs in the long run.

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
put the FWD fuse in and start shopping for tires. Sometimes, you can get used tires on ebay to match exisiting worn tires. It would be a false economy though if the tires you have are worn more than - say - about 1/3 down from new.

DO nOT drive for a long time with the FWD fuse in - it's intended for temporary use.

(if the odd tires are on one SIDE and you have open diffs, it might be OK to run 2 sizes - anyone?)

I just wouldn't risk it - clutchpack problems scare me!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had one of four identical tires get a sidewall tear. I ended up finding an exact match online. By the time I paid for the tire, then for my mechanic to patch three holes in it and mount it, I would have been better off just buying an entire new set, as I had nearly $100 into a USED tire!

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
I had one of four identical tires get a sidewall tear. I ended up finding an exact match online. By the time I paid for the tire, then for my mechanic to patch three holes in it and mount it, I would have been better off just buying an entire new set, as I had nearly $100 into a USED tire!
yeah - even having a tire shaved down locally, it's kinda a poor financial decision. I mean, buy a new tire, then make it half worn out! I DO feel Subaru dealerships should at least all offer free/low cost tire shaving.

One reason I buy cheap tires (that is, low tread wear but otherwise good traction, heat rating etc.) is because, I KNOW someday I'll have to buy a full set because one of then has a sidewall puncture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing