Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm trying to decide what color wheels will look best on my Carbide Gray Outback. I have the 18'' Limited Wheels, and want to downsize to 17'' wheels. While I would like to find something used on Craigslist for cheap, the right thing isn't easy to come by.

I'm considering buying wheels from Get-Primitive or Method, but can't visualize what the wheel colors will look like with my car color. Right now, I'm leaning towards black rims but I just can't picture it!

Does anyone have photos (or have a Carbide Gray Outback) that they can share with different colored rims?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
50 Posts
Navigate to http://www.tirerack.com, click on the "Wheels" link and then indicate that you want to shop by vehicle. Put in the specifics for your car (year, make, model, trim level) and then start shopping.You should see a picture of your Outback with the wheels that you are looking at. To set the color of the vehicle, simply click on the rainbow-color-wheel and pick your color.

I wish that the Discount Tire Direct website (www.discounttiredirect.com had this feature because I highly recommend them if you are looking for wheels and/or tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Navigate to http://www.tirerack.com, click on the "Wheels" link and then indicate that you want to shop by vehicle. Put in the specifics for your car (year, make, model, trim level) and then start shopping.You should see a picture of your Outback with the wheels that you are looking at. To set the color of the vehicle, simply click on the rainbow-color-wheel and pick your color.

I wish that the Discount Tire Direct website (www.discounttiredirect.com had this feature because I highly recommend them if you are looking for wheels and/or tires.
Unfortunately Tire Rack shows Carbide Gray as a dark metallic gray with no blue. It looks nothing like the actual color! Nothing else seems to come close on their selection either. I did try this!

Just out of curiosity why do people prefer Discount Tire over Tire Rack? I’ve seen DT plugged a few times here but have always heard TR was the go-to.

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
166 Posts
i have a 16 carbide grey limited. black looks the best, and i have dipped mine flat black which looks even better. i also like the bronze. yeah i know, but its different, and it looks good on the right style of wheel. chrome is ok, but dosent do anything for me. if you use discount tires wheel tool, use the light color blue for comparison. close and gives you a slight idea.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Just out of curiosity why do people prefer Discount Tire over Tire Rack? I’ve seen DT plugged a few times here but have always heard TR was the go-to.
One thing that DT has is brick and mortar stores and customer service in person. I know that TR has a list of shops that can provide the same services. I think, some people prefer it being under on umbrella. My father has used TR for many years and many cars. If I still lived in my home town and my trusted installer was down the street, I might as well.

I live less than 3 miles from a DT, I have bought 1 set of wheels and 3 sets of tires from the same shop. They take care of me and have even patched tires I didn't buy from them.

That's why I DT ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is what the black looks like on mine. pardon the tires, gotta remove the dip overspray.
Oh wow. I like this.

I'm looking at getting the Sparco Terra wheels in black with white lettering. This may have just solidified my choice.

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
166 Posts
Oh wow. I like this.

I'm looking at getting the Sparco Terra wheels in black with white lettering. This may have just solidified my choice.
good choice in wheels. they look good on the outback. i think my son wanted these for his 17 fist, in white.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited Carbide Gray
74 Posts
And Method 501s on a 2016 3.6.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hello!

I'm trying to decide what color wheels will look best on my Carbide Gray Outback. I have the 18'' Limited Wheels, and want to downsize to 17'' wheels. While I would like to find something used on Craigslist for cheap, the right thing isn't easy to come by.

I'm considering buying wheels from Get-Primitive or Method, but can't visualize what the wheel colors will look like with my car color. Right now, I'm leaning towards black rims but I just can't picture it!

Does anyone have photos (or have a Carbide Gray Outback) that they can share with different colored rims?

Thank you!
If I did this response correctly, there should be 3 photos of the BBS carbide and machine wheels I put on my 2017 OB Touring. They are not black, but rather carbine gray, and would look awesome on
a Carbide Gray OB. These are 18” wheels and I am pretty certain that BBS sells them Iin 17” as well. You can order them on Tirerack.com. Very happy with the wheels
AND with the Michelin LTX 235/60/18” I was able to squeeze on with out any rubbing. Picked up an additional 1/2” of ground clearance with the 235/60’s.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I did this response correctly, there should be 3 photos of the BBS carbide and machine wheels I put on my 2017 OB Touring. They are not black, but rather carbine gray, and would look awesome on
a Carbide Gray OB. These are 18” wheels and I am pretty certain that BBS sells them Iin 17” as well. You can order them on Tirerack.com. Very happy with the wheels
AND with the Michelin LTX 235/60/18” I was able to squeeze on with out any rubbing. Picked up an additional 1/2” of ground clearance with the 235/60’s.
Thank you for sharing! Do you worry at all about extra weight and/or rotational differences with the bigger tire?

It would be great to go straight up to the 18'' Yokohama Geolander G015s but I'm worried about throwing off the driving dynamics, vehicle efficiency, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, I'd be interested with the 3.6, how does that affect your mileage? Thanks... Car looks great. Also, did you add any lift or have any rubbing?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts