Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'02 Outback Limited, '00 GT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to change the tranny and differential fluids on my 02 Outback Limited. Any recommendations as to fluid brands and weights? Should I stick with Subaru brand oils? I had some less than positive experiences in the past with the rear differential (limited slip) on my Pathfinder. The dealer seemed to think that any differential oil would do. But when I replaced with a true LDS oil the differential would shudder around corners until I flushed/changed the oil again. Thanks.

·
Registered
'02 H6 Sedan - gone :(
169 Posts
I switched mine to amsoil (differentials). No one is giving much input on trannies here. Other sites are 50/50 on the flush & fill vs. drain & fill on trannies. I followed manufacturers recommendations on viscosities.

Front & rear diff on the H6 was relatively simple. I purchased a $5 pump to fill the rear diff & could have used it on the front, but I had a funnel that worked on the first try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. What type of pump did you get? I have a cheap thing that screw to the top of the individual oil bottles, then you pump like a soap dispenser. Very slow but it works.

Regarding the Amsoil, did you use the recommended 80w-90? Did you use an LSD additive for the rear diff or is your Amsoil LSD compatible? In other vehicles I have used Amalie, Castrol and Sunoco oils. I did not notice a big difference other than varying amounts of transmission (manual) stiffness in cold weather.

As for the transmission, the dealer has ATF for the 5EAT transmission but it is noted as acceptable for all Subaru transmissions. What is the 5EAT?

·
Registered
'02 H6 Sedan - gone :(
169 Posts
I used the 75-90 fluid. Yes, the pump you describe is the same as I used (arm did get a little tired :) ). As you said, slow but it works.

No additives and I haven't noticed any problems.

The 5EAT is the "model number" for new tranny. I believe yours should be an 4EAT (?).

Wife currently has the Subie on vacation. I filled it up for her (not excessively topped off). And she is reporting 300+ miles and just less than a half tank of gas. :D Syn's do work :D

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
one way to get the stuff from bottle to diff/trans is to invert bottle, punch pinhole in bottom, and apply air pressure either from breath or regulated compressor output. there's also the approach of shoving the vinyl tubing as far as it will go onto the tapered nozzle of bottle (you DO save those, right?), holding it in place with either fingers or zip tie, and squeezing gently. finally, you can hang bottle like an IV bottle and let it gravity feed if you punch pinhole in bottom.

obv, pinhole approaches require having a spare empty bottle to decant any excess into, preferably handy so you don;t roam around lookin fer it while holding the oozin bottle...

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
I have put the NEO Oil fully synthetic diester base in my Outback 3.0R. It is a worthwhile upgrade. It seems to be running alot freer and quieter. Havent done the auto tranny but I don't think I'll bother.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How to drain torque converter?

How do you drain the torque converter on an '02 Outback (Limited wagon with 4EAT)? I have not changed the ATF in a Sub before. I was expecting close to 10 quarts to drain out but all I got was about 3.5 quarts. Did I just complete a half-assed fluid change? Based on some of the responses to Jay H ("I'm and idiot") it seems that what I did was appropriate for a basic ATF change but someone also mentioned draining the torque converter separately. Any advice?

I went with Subaru ATF (auto transmissions scare me and did not want to risk using some other fluid), good old Castrol for the engine, but I changed the differentials to Amsoil. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts