Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 L.L. Bean
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a 2001 L.L. Bean that just had the rear half shafts and CV joints replaced. Unfortunately we should have replaced the differential seals as now they're leaking. The differential is the "T" type unit, does anyone know what the part number for these seals is, or if there's a part number replacement at an auto parts store that is equivalent?

Thanks,
Trek L.
K.C., MO.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
if you're talking about the front differential on an Automatic - be advised that they are held in place by a retaining cap that sets the backlash for the differential. so don't plan on just pulling the seal and popping a new one in, it's more involved than that. and you have to be absolutely certain on how to set those retaining caps on reinstallation or you'll be needing a new transmission when the front diff goes out as they are an integrated unit - a "transaxle".

part number should be available at any auto parts store, subaru, etc.

·
Registered
2001 L.L. Bean
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response on this, sorry if I wasn't clear, but yes the fronts are OK, the rear half shafts were just replaced which requires removing the differential to complete. Unfortunately with 260,000 miles we should have replaced the seals when I had the ability to put the car down for a few days. Now that I don't have that luxury I was hoping to get some part numbers from someone that may have done this to try and speed things up.

Thanks again,

Trek L.

·
Registered
18,297 Posts
For part numbers, try http://opposedforces.com/parts/

(Drill down under the Legacy listing, then B12 for U.S.A, etc.)

However, you might still have to order parts from a dealer (local or on-line) based on the VIN number and not just the part number found elsewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts