Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - 5 speed - 191K
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I started this project. Another learning process. Got it up on stands again and dug right in.

1. Drive shaft disconnected - No Issues
2. Differential cross memember removed - No Issues
3. Bushing thru bolts - Big Issue. These had to be cut out with cutting wheel on my grinder. Soaked with Penetrating oil but nothing would budge them. Couldn't use a brake bar because I couldn't get a solid grip on it, the worn out rubber kept moving which reduced the power of the breaker bar. I got the impact wrench attached with 2 feet of extension bars, it didn't budge it. So.... After 15 minutes of sparks the nuts came off. I had already bought new thru bolts and nuts so all is good.
4. Lower Differential to the ground - Big Issue
I loosely follow the Haynes manual when working on this car but the instructions for differential removal in the manual is crap. Manual says you can get the differential out by removing the exhaust, let the differential hang and the axles can be pulled out. NOT!!!!

Let me save some time for anyone that does this. Don't try that. I didn't remove the exhaust, only because the flange bolts at the mufflers were almost dissolved and I would have to cut them off, but even if I had there does not appear to be enough lateral movement to allow the axles to come out. PLUS you will likely ruin the side seals when you go to reinstall the axles.

MY SOLUTION - Remove the driver side axle. I had to disconnect all the control arms I installed 2 weeks ago, plus I had to disconnect the lower strut bolt, but it gave me the ability to remove the axle. Once the axle was out the passenger side slid right out. ADVICE - The differential is not too heavy but make sure you have a good grip in it or strap it to a floor jack when lowering it to the ground.

Once the differential is out I was able to gain front and rear access to the Bushings. They are both torn and have significant wear and cracking. I attached a removal tool but I can't get them to budge. I am going to try again today (10/24/17) but will likely have to resort to burning them out which will be fun given the proximity of the gas tank.

I am confident I'll get the bushings out, I am just praying I can install the new Whiteline Bushings that apparently need to be pressed in.

More to follow soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAY 2

I gave up trying to press out the bushings. I went Caveman and used fire.

These came out easier than the trailing arms. They were torn fairly badly and, after about 5 minutes heating, the metal center came out fairly easily.

Hooked up the Sawzall and both were out in about 6 minutes.

Now the fun part.... Pressing in the Whiteline Bushings.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DAY 3

FANTASTIC NEWS!

I Got the Whiteline Bushings Installed. It was easy and difficult.

I had to create a tool to do it but I got it done.

ADVICE - If you do this, DO NOT press the bushings in from the front. IF you do, you will paint yourself into a corner. Kinda hard to explain but if will work much better if you press them in from the back side.

ADVICE - Keep the Whiteline center steel crush tube in the bushing when you press it into the bore. The crush tube helps keep the threaded rod centered. YOU WILL have issues keeping the bushing centered and it will press in cockeyed, keep trying and it will go in.

ADVICE - take a small rasp file and file the leading edge of the bore, it will help get it started straight. ALSO, sand the leading edge of the bushing. It will also help it get started.

Now I need to fix the differential that I screwed up. See my other post. I NEED HELP with that issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Havent driven it yet. I was waiting for the new differential bushings to come in. They will be here Tuesday (10/31). Once back together I will def report driving characteristics. Need to replace the tranny mount too. That will be a different posting.

Monday (11/6) the engine comes out to fix oil leak behind flywheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts