Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently had a loud humming noise that the dealership had told me was my wheel bearings being totally f-ed up so I replaced them...after that my mechanic and I got in the car aand realized that the new bearings were awesome...but the noise we were were hearing was actually 2 noises...the bearings were drowning out the the very similar sound that was coming from my differential. I didn't have money to try anything so I just tried to keep driving and hope for the best. A couple days later the noise got much worse, then the whole car started shaking violently (I had been experiencing some shaking on slight left turns at highway speeds for awhile) and now I'm pretty sure the diff has completely gone.

I'm trying to figure out which parts I need to buy to have my mechanic hopefully get this fixed but I can't get him the car right now and I'm not letting the dealership do this, my mechanic is my Uncle who is a Mercedes Master tech and we can only do the work on weekends and I can't leave the car there so I have to order my parts pretty much blind and HOPE what I get is the right stuff. I was hoping htere would be a package called "Front Differential Assembly" or something which would have the whole thing but I can't find one. I went to Rock Auto and Partsgeek and found lots of individual components for differentials but I don't have any idea which ones I need.

Have any of you guys had to do this? HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,618 Posts
check car-part.com for a used transmission, most popular approach is an entire used trans swap.

but, I think you should confirm diagnosis first as the center carrier bearing for the driveshaft can also make a lot of noise.

and fill us in better on ; what car, miles, new to you, general condition, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check car-part.com for a used transmission, most popular approach is an entire used trans swap.

but, I think you should confirm diagnosis first as the center carrier bearing for the driveshaft can also make a lot of noise.

and fill us in better on ; what car, miles, new to you, general condition, etc.
The car is a 2013 Outback 2.5 with 201,000 miles. I bought it new in 2013 and outside of the high mileage it is in fine condition. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Did you service the front differential and rear differential gear boxes with gear oil at minimum every 60,000?

They rarely ever fail unless the gear oil isn’t serviced and they basically get run dry

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Look first at the differential oil to see if there are metal shavings in it ( may times the oil will look like silver metallic paint). Check also for play in the CVs - they could also be shot. You can do both of these in just a few minutes at home by jacking the car up (put on stands, of course) and draining the diff oil, and just trying to shake or twist the axles. With any luck, this will help narrow down where the issue is.

The CV's, with that sort of mileage, probably need, at the minimum, re-greasing and new boots put on anyway.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
^ agrreed the cvs can get noisy especially if you have cracked boots and dry joints. Only use oem axles the aftermarket cv-axles are known to cause this same issue not worth the labore and cost to find out you need to replace them again vs just doing oem to statt with.

Clean cv just reboot them.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,618 Posts
did this happen soon after some service?

not impossible for some 'techs' to confuse draining/filling various sumps on Subarus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts