Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
05 OB XT 5EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 05 OB XT and I want to put in an aftermarket head unit to make the stereo sound better. There are installation kits that you can get (Metra 99-8901 (met-998901) Single DIN Installation Kit for 2005-) but they are only made for the head unit with the analog A/C controls.

Could I swap my head unit out with a head unit from another outback with analog controls? Is there any difference in the connection plug in the back?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
It's more involved than that- you would have to change part of the climate control system as well to accommodate the manual control cable.

I went through the same thing with my '06. I decided to install the JDM kit to solve the problem in mine. I would think that converting the HVAC system to manual would be at least as difficult.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
55 Posts
@rasterman, any issues when following the DIY thread? I'd love to do this as well and the instructions look reasonable. Did you get the parts from the links in the thread or elsewhere? Thanks for that link, I'd never seen it before!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
@rasterman, any issues when following the DIY thread? I'd love to do this as well and the instructions look reasonable. Did you get the parts from the links in the thread or elsewhere? Thanks for that link, I'd never seen it before!
I got my gear from the links in that thread. SVXdc is a great resource for the harness adapters as well as advice, and the bracket kit from Japan was legit.

I bought the JDM hazard flasher switch and would recommend it to others- considerable time saved and risk avoided just by using that part vs. adapting the USDM switch.

Sawing the dashboard frame is by far the roughest part of the project. Check twice, be careful and have a shop vac handy.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts