Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 2011 outback. I replaced the fog lights with leds but she really needs the headlights replaced
Please help me find the right bright ones for her safety.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Federal law specifies headlight bulbs be 55Watt. The Sylvania from Wallyworld will be just fine.

Installing higher-wattage bulbs will lead to shorter bulb-life and perhaps even melted headlight housings.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bulb output does depreciate with age. A fresh set of bulbs can certainly help on an older vehicle. Also, if your lenses are badly hazed, reconditioning will help.

Aftermarket high output retrofit bulbs should be avoided. This includes halogen, HID or LED. Use the type of bulb for which your lamps were designed. Your fellow drivers will appreciate your not blinding them with glare. And in extreme cases, meltdowns or even fire can occur.

FWIW, I find the stock lighting on our 2012 more than adequate.

Note that most factory foglamps add practically zero value to forward vision.

I spent the early part of my career working in automotive lighting. A lot of work goes into meeting regulations and performance targets and the proper bulb is critical to doing so.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
ruby2012
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing