Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn on the headlights, the infotainment/navigation screen dims.

Is there any way to disable this annoying 'feature'?

(If it is snowing, and it is we got over a foot, I want to be as visible as possible so I turn on the headlights. But in the middle of the day, I don't want any screens dimmed).

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
510 Posts
If it behaves like the Gen3 models, the screen brightness is tied to the dashboard illumination level. Start by finding the knob/dial for the radio and gauge backlights, and crank it all the way up. There might also be a menu option for "day mode", though I don't know anything about the info system those years.

Reactions: Yoda_One

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Mine will keep the screen at full brightness, even with the headlights on, if the light sensor detects it's still daylight outside. It seems to kick over to full at what I would consider marginal daylight.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it behaves like the Gen3 models, the screen brightness is tied to the dashboard illumination level. Start by finding the knob/dial for the radio and gauge backlights, and crank it all the way up. There might also be a menu option for "day mode", though I don't know anything about the info system those years.
Nope. The brightness knob/dial only controls the instrument panel. The infotainment/navigation screen is not controlled by the knob.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
355 Posts
That's common behavior because the dash and screen need to be brighter in the daytime than at night. but as per a previous post you can manually crank it up back to the daylight brightness. If you then drive it at night, you might have to knock it down from the max setting since daylight brightness at night is almost blinding.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No. You cannot. My brightness dial is at max. It only controls the instrument panel.

If you rotate the the dial all the way to the end that is max brightness. Then if you go a little farther it will put all the lights at the brightest regardless of the sensors. It is a harder “click” to go to that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
93 Posts
My 2018 the dash brightness dial will dim the Infotainment screen. Just tested on the way in this morning.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you rotate the the dial all the way to the end that is max brightness. Then if you go a little farther it will put all the lights at the brightest regardless of the sensors. It is a harder “click” to go to that level.
I tried that and there is no final 'indent' on the wheel.

For confirmation, I emailed Subaru customer support to see what they say about the 'indent'....I'm waiting for their response.

[Update]

Subaru replied: "Your Subaru retailer is in the best position to be of assistance to you with this situation. I'm not familiar with what you are describing."

I tried it again....there is no final indent. But thanks for trying to trick me into breaking the switch!

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
510 Posts
Alright John Doe ... I got over to the 2013 Navigation manual and found that you can set it to "Headlight", "Time (of day)", and "None (manual)" mode, and was about to report back.
Then saw this was the 2015+ forum. My mistake. So, for those 2013/2014 members lost in this thread, look here on page 81.

It doesn't sound like it's the case for your year =[
So, for a 2017 3.6R with nav... here are the manuals. "2. BASIC FUNCTION" manual shows an on-screen menu for manually tweaking brightness and contrast. And, "7. SETTINGS" lists an "auto light-sensor" setting, which can be 'low', or something else. Maybe that one can help a bit?

Otherwise, I also don't find any way to do that. I sympathize! Might go as far as finding the illumination-control cable and redirecting it to an override switch... but that kind of thing makes warranties nervous.

Bonus: if you break the switch, it's an excuse to rewire the lighting circuit anyway!!

maybe somebody who owns a Gen 1 or 2 can weigh in on the question and give us an incorrect answer too
That's actually me, all the Gen 3s belong to family! ;-)

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
I tried that and there is no final 'indent' on the wheel.

For confirmation, I emailed Subaru customer support to see what they say about the 'indent'....I'm waiting for their response.

[Update]

Subaru replied: "Your Subaru retailer is in the best position to be of assistance to you with this situation. I'm not familiar with what you are describing."

I tried it again....there is no final indent. But thanks for trying to trick me into breaking the switch!

I dunno, Our early build 2017 brightens the Nav Screen when you turn the wheel up till it clicks. It's not full brightness, but it works.

Dive into the screen settings, you can adjust the brightness there. There are separate settings for headlights on, and off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts