Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so irritated, I could chew nails. Eight months and four days of ownership - and my first door ding.

A lulu too - a deep, sharp crease, with broken paint, right above the driver's side door handle where I'm gonna have to look at it every time I get in the car. No, I have no idea who, my wife brought the car home with it, she didn't see it until I pointed it out to her. (Although she must have been distracted by a UFO, this thing is so freaking obvious). It's too ugly, and too visible, I'm gonna have to get it fixed.

I hope there is a special place in **** for door dingers. How can people be so inconsiderate? I'm constantly amazed at how people fling doors open with reckless abandon, not a care in the world about someone else's property.

The position of this points to an SUV as the culprit since it's so high. More support for the position that SUV drivers are self absorbed, to-****-with-everyone-else types of people.

I know it's an Outback and all, but it's a street Outback. It's not supposed to have battle scars. I've got a Jeep for battle scars. (Nothing quite as wussy as a pristine Jeep) And this isn't a crunched rocker or brush pinstripes, it looks like what it is - a jerk parked next to you.

Done ranting (for now)

·
Registered
33 Posts
oh man

i feel for you.i owned a vw jetta before my subie.had it for 5 years.no dings at all.my friends constantly made fun of me cause i would park all the way over in osh kosh to avoid other people.but it worked.now they still make fun of me.they say your not driving a vw anymore.and i just turn and stare at them till they shut up.besides the extra walking is good for you.
i am really paranoid and vigilant about people parking next to me.if i walk out of a store and find someone parked next to me i have been known to do a complete walkaround of my car to see if that person dinged me.and then god help them.......:14:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Z--

i sympathize. at one point, i was wanting to make a rub strip for door that would hang in place when i parked car, with roofing nails pointing outward.....fortunately better judgment prevailed. and now you'd have to have 2 or 3 due to height of SUVs.

you'd think a hit that big wd have set off the alarm. not too confidence inspiring......

How can people be so inconsiderate?
inconsiderate is charitable. i think it;s almost semi intentional...in a society where rudeness and disrespect for others is seen as a virtue...calling someone a rude dog did not useta be a compliment...and where the new truk/SUV names, and many of the ads, convey images of Krushing Anything in the Way.....Titan and Armada come to mind. i'm waiting for the Conquistador, the Manifest Destiny, the Lebensraum, the Berserker, and the Viking....

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I feel the pain, like my car does when it gets dinged. You know, no matter how far you park away from everyone, or how careful you are in choosing a stall, some dipthong will always get you. Maybe not ding you, but park right up on you.

Just like that recent commercial when that hunk of crap goes through the huge empty lot and parks right up on the newer car, the only one for 60 feet. It never fails to amaze me how careful I can be, and how others can be the exact opposite. Brian

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
cptoversteer said:
...and where the new truk/SUV names, and many of the ads, convey images of Krushing Anything in the Way.....Titan and Armada come to mind. i'm waiting for the Conquistador, the Manifest Destiny, the Lebensraum, the Berserker, and the Viking....
Or how bout the "Bush."
Sorry, couldn't help myself there...

After 8 years, my baby has about 5 dings and dents, all of them on the drivers side, I can't figure out why it's that way. They are scattered about from front to rear and most of them are clearly at SUV height.

I always try to park next to minivans if I have the option. Children in SUV's can't handle the large swinging doors and as a result they usually bang them into the car next to them. However, in a minivan the child simply has to slide the door back, which eliminates the potential for "dinging-by-reckless-child."

·
Registered
93 Posts
I here you the wife come home the other day in our black outback and I could see a ding in the drivers door as she was driving in the driveway..ah aah ah ah ah.
you realy notice it now that i know its there.have to get the touch up guys to fix it up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I carry a center punch in my console for the inconsiderate prick that dings my door.If i catch them,i'm gonna make a smiley face with my center punch.I watch who and where i park and try to keep from getting dinged.I try not to be to long anywhere i go to keep from getting whacked.Watch out,them **** door dingers are everywhere! Riding through the parking lots looking for fresh sheet metal & paint.:eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Baja Turbo said:
I carry a center punch in my console for the inconsiderate prick that dings my door.If i catch them,i'm gonna make a smiley face with my center punch.I watch who and where i park and try to keep from getting dinged.I try not to be to long anywhere i go to keep from getting whacked.Watch out,them **** door dingers are everywhere! Riding through the parking lots looking for fresh sheet metal & paint.:eek:
The anoying part is that the door dingers couldnt care less about there own car letalone somone elses,I sugest to the wife to park sensibly out of the way if possible and sure enough your car will have a car parked either side of an empty car park when you return

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Zumdish. I thought I was the only one who obsessed about these kinds of things.

Leto. I, too, park as far from other cars as I can at malls and shopping centers--thankfully I rarely go to those god-forsken place anyhow. People think I'm eccentric.

Anyhow, no door ding stories...BUT

My worst similar experience came recently when I stood on my balcony and watched golf ball sized hailstones batter the roof and hood of my Volvo wagon two days BEFORE I was to take it in for a trade-in appraisal as part of my '05 Outback XT deal. At least it was an act of nature, but it sure did a number on the car.

Hey Cptoversteer: How about The Anschluss? (nice German engineering).

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I try to park far away, too. I posess a superhuman ability to walk distances of 50 feet or even more, so I can put the car along some back edge of the lot.

My main annoyance is the 95% probability that a Mobile Blind Spot will park next to me, no matter where I park. These vans and SUVs give out the best door dings, too. (I've thought of using the pen name Alex VanDoording)

One good trick is to park the car next to a landscape island, so you at least know one side of the car won't have a vehicle next to it. Just make sure they're not mowing that day...
:eek:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I try to park far away, too. I posess a superhuman ability to walk distances of 50 feet or even more, so I can put the car along some back edge of the lot.
yeah, i frequently also find relying on people's laziness is safest bet. # of door dings seems to decrease as the square of distance from door of store...... 'course, in this much lovely world, this plan may not work for women in some areas due to safety considerations.

i wouldn't do this close in, but out at edge of lot, you can also park the car at an angle to the parking spaces so people really have to work to get parallel to you.

i'm really interested any ideas anyone has on this as i dropped $3000+ and innumerable man hours of labor into putting a perfect paint job on my VW bus...i don't want to find out how i'd react if some milestone on humanity's slide back to the stone age dings the doors i spent many many many hours getting perfectly straight....aging deadhead to The Incredible Hulk in .3 seconds flat.....???

in the late 70s early 80s they used to sell a sort of door protector that was held down with magnets and clamped in place by closed door to prevent theft. i've wondered abt replicating these, likely with "keelguard" or "Keelshield"....plastic rub strip designed to stick onto the keel of boats to prevent dmg.....it comes in 4-6" for firberglass boats and 12" for alum boats. mounted to some of the flexible magnetic sign material....?? i may try this to hopefully avoid having to deal with the hulkification factor. stuff is available from Cabela's and likely other hook-n-bullet set purveyors.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
cptoversteer said:

>i dropped $3000+ and innumerable man hours of labor into putting a perfect paint job on my VW bus...
Mmmmm, VW bus, huge expanses of flat sheet metal, like big blank canvases...

I drove a 1975 Buick Regal when I went to school at OSU; it collected so many door dings that it looked like I had parked it in Beirut (which was the Bagdad of those days).

·
Registered
111 Posts
as my Ma was backin out our outback, she hit the basketball hoop right above the front left fender it was creased all the way down, we got it maccoed and as we were picking it up, we noticed that there was another dent in somewhat of the same place but 2x bigger! those Macco Idiots! dont trust em with anything!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I watched as a fat old broad in a '76 Cutlass coupe pushed her door open with her foot, right into the driver's door of my brandy new Pilot a few months ago...the car raised up about 4" when she got out. Fortunately, it caught on the plastic side molding and just scratched that. I usually park way away ("does the bus run out here?"), but the restaurant we were at filled up pretty quickly at the international feeding hour. She left before we could go out and survey the damage.:mad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
At work, I try to park next to people with nice, expensive cars. (Lots of doctors where I work, and there is no shortage of nice new cars in the lot.) When I get there, I can usually park in the same spot between a new Audi and a new Mercedes. They are probably more concerned over their car than mine, but it results in fewer dings for me.

I did notice some very small scratches all the way down the right side of my car on Wednesday after leaving a bar following a small concert where a friend of mine was singing. I am assuming they came from someone carrying something between my car and the one next to me, and it dragged against my poor OBW. :( I haven't driven anywhere that would have caused scratches like that. (No brush/branches, etc. scraping the car.) Some of the might buff out, but other are deep enough that I can feel them with a fingertip. Not down to metal, at least.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
Decius
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing