Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Roadmaster Xl Base Plate Kit 920-1 on my brand new 2013 Outback (2.5i Premium). Roadmaster hasn't done their "test fit" on a vehicle yet, but I can tell you that the 920-1 fits just fine. The pipe spacers that go inside the radiator support are a tight fit to get in, butthey do fit inside where the bolt goes.

Happy Trails...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just installed the Roadmaster Xl Base Plate Kit 920-1 on my brand new 2013 Outback (2.5i Premium). Roadmaster hasn't done their "test fit" on a vehicle yet, but I can tell you that the 920-1 fits just fine. The pipe spacers that go inside the radiator support are a tight fit to get in, butthey do fit inside where the bolt goes.

Happy Trails...
I was lucky. I asked Blue Ox if they had a base plate for the 2013, and the did not have one. However, they asked me whether I would come to them (about 300 miles from me) and they could use my car as a "test fit" vehicle. In return I would get the baseplate for free and the tow bar and safety cables, all for free installed, etc. Additionally, they gave me 25% off of every other item (I got the Patriot braking system from them). I like the Blue Ox base plate because it is almost invisible once the connection "horns" are removed.

I towed the Outback home from there (my motorhome has a F53 chassis with he V10), and I hardly could feel the Outback behind it. If I would not have seen it in the rear camera, I would not have known it is there!

Do you have any idea how to lock all doors and the rear hatch when the key is in the ignition lock for towing?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I just want to chime in here with a warning to readers - only manual transmission Outbacks can be flat towed without damaging the drive train.

I would hate for someone with an automatic to make the wrong assumption and ruin his car and vacation.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was lucky. I asked Blue Ox if they had a base plate for the 2013, and the did not have one. However, they asked me whether I would come to them (about 300 miles from me) and they could use my car as a "test fit" vehicle. In return I would get the baseplate for free and the tow bar and safety cables, all for free installed, etc. Additionally, they gave me 25% off of every other item (I got the Patriot braking system from them). I like the Blue Ox base plate because it is almost invisible once the connection "horns" are removed.

I towed the Outback home from there (my motorhome has a F53 chassis with he V10), and I hardly could feel the Outback behind it. If I would not have seen it in the rear camera, I would not have known it is there!

Do you have any idea how to lock all doors and the rear hatch when the key is in the ignition lock for towing?
Update: Subaru answered and had to say the following:

Before you set the key in the first position for "OFF," lock all of the doors. Then, just unlock your driver's door. So, when you turn the key to the correct position for towing it behind your motorhome, you need only to manually lock the driver's door with the button. The other doors are already locked, including the rear hatch.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
They do not pump fluid to keep the turning bits cool when they are not running.

This is common for nearly all AT's I recall way back when Saturn first started it was a popular car for the RV types given it was SUPER cheap and light. I recall GM came up with some type of modification to the AT so they could be towed behind the RV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You were lucky. Roadmaster offered the same thing to me... if I brought the car to them. I live in NC and they are in WA, so it didn't work out for me.

This Outback replaces my previous dinghy. Are there any problems with battery drainage while towing the Outback? Do I need to remove any fuses for long trips to reduce battery drainage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many vehicles with automatic transmisions can be flat-towed. Motor Home Magazine publishes an Annual Dinghy Towing Guide that provides a wealth of information about what vehicles can be towed and any special actions needed to do so. You can download the most recent version at www.motorhomemagazine.com/download-dinghy-guides. It is always necessary to double check with the vehicle manufacturer's data (websites, owner's manuals, dealers).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in process of purchasing a 2013 Outback Premium with manual trans. I know people tow these but was concerned when the manual does not say anything about being able to tow 4 wheels down and nothing at all about manual trans. It only addresses manual towing.
I put the deal on hold until I can get some documentation from Sabaru that says it's OK to tow manual 4 down. Otherwise I am concerned that they could invalidate the warranty since it is not specifically addressed in the manual for towing. Many other brands do.
My wife drives a 2010 Outback with auto trans so we know we can't tow it other than on a trailer.
Am I just being paranoid? I can't believe this has not been asked of Subaru and they don't have something that address towing 4 down for the manuan trans.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2013 manual 2.5 Outback. I just put 2,000+ miles towing it in December. Not the first issue with towing.
I found a note in the owners manual and on the Subaru website saying it could be towed 4 down without any issues. I also told the dealer my intentions, and made them note on the cars paperwork that it was OK to tow this Outback 4 down. I know you can't tow ANY of the Subaru's on a dolly.

PS - one nice feature is since the ignition is off, and the odometer is electronic, no mileage accumulates while towing. I don't worry about locking the doors - I haven't had anyone try to steal the car yet while I'm booking down the road ! :) I also keep the master ignition key in my motor home and use the grey valet key in the car while it's being towed. Also, there is no battery drain while the key is turned to the first spot either.

I had the Subaru dealer install my Blue Ox base plate. They had the body shop do it. I figured the body show was more experienced at removing the front-end and replacing it than the RV dealership was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Towing 2013 Subaru Outback 4 down

Thanks, that was very helpful.
We also managed to get an email from Subaru and from the dealer. Here it is in case anyone else needs it. It's stupid of them to have nothing in the new manuals about flat towing manual trans four down other than emergency.
Dear Ms. Gerhardt,
Thank you for visiting the Subaru Website and for your interest in our products.
AWD Subaru vehicles with manual transmission can be towed with all four wheels on the ground and the transmission in neutral.
AWD Subaru vehicles with automatic transmission can only be towed with all four wheels OFF of the ground.
Therefore, since you are interested in towing a Subaru behind your motorhome, we would suggest purchasing a manual transmission Subaru.
When towing a manual transmission Subaru behind your motorhome, you would want the transmission in neutral and the key in the 'ACC' position. As all new models are equipped with digital odometers, mileage will not accumulate when being towed.
Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-SUBARU3.
Best wishes,
Kelly Shinault
Subaru of America, Inc.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I had the Subaru dealer install my Blue Ox base plate. They had the body shop do it. I figured the body show was more experienced at removing the front-end and replacing it than the RV dealership was.
That was a shrewd decision. I have dealt with RV service departments and my conclusion is that for the most part they are clueless morons who shouldn't be allowed near tools of any kind.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
32 Posts
Use the gray "Valet" key to unlock the ignition, and keep your primary electronic key with you, and lock the doors and the hatch by pressing the lock button on the keyfob. I haven't tried this myself yet on my 2014 OB, but I can't think why it wouldn't work with the key in the ACC position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
ctsurv553
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing