1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought these:

I went with Yellow - Pro combination.

I had them installed at All Pro in Atlanta. I know.. "You could do it yourself!" Well... yes... but I'd rather not so I had them do it as I needed the full bumper guard pulled off.

Anyway.. Tonight was the first night I really got to use them and, for those of you wondering where I came from:

Before I had the stock fog light housings with Philips H11 (I think Ultrabright) LEDs in them. These were MUCH better than the incandescents that came with the car which were like a birthday candle in each light. Still... All the really did was light things up right in front of the vehicle. Think of where the bottom of the low beams hit the pavement and imagine from that line back being lit up. Nice, I suppose. Better than the originals. Not very helpful.

Tonight I tried the DD SS3 Pro (yellow) for the first time in some light rain and it was night and day. Literally, after having them on and then turning them off you immediately think, "Wait.. are the low beams still on???" - and I'm generally impressed with the low beams (LEDs, I believe) on my car.

The color and the light helped with one of the roads that otherwise would have been completely black (think: I can't see the stripes) and, with the fog lights on, the stripes are clearly evident.

If you're on the fence about these, hopefully this post will push you over. I'm really glad I did the upgrade.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
93 Posts
You said you went with the Pro, any particular reason? I have the Sport in my cart ready for check out, and would like to hear why you went Pro over Sport. The price difference is considerable. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was really just "more power" / more light.

I saw another person on YouTube who bought the normal version and thought it was plenty and couldn't imagine having more. I'd still go with more power / more light but, really, that's why I got the pro.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Totally understandable! The Pros look insanely bright, maybe too much for me honestly. I do appreciate your feedback, thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the main difference is the beam pattern is much taller on the pros.

* edit Diode Dynamics did a comparison video a few months ago

would be interesting to know the beam pattern degree numbers for the factory OEM Outback Fogs(think they used a WRX style light for Subaru instead)

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
735 Posts
im also on the fence if i need the pro vs the sport. currently running the yellow philips LED ultravisions and i want more out of my fogs. i think the sport would be fine for those who drive more street than offroad, also if theyre aimed properly the sport should be more than enough for a daily driver

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As @crucialcolin mentioned: The sharpness of the upper cutoff with the pros is less than with the standard set. I think this was mentioned in one of the Diode Dynamics videos (worth watching to get a feel for them).

I really think that the stock fog lights are ornamental. Even with replacing the bulbs with LED (white or yellow) I think it's a stretch to say that they do more than light up directly in front of the vehicle (maybe 15-20' out and an extra 5-10' on either side - and I think I'm being generous with that).

The DD lights (well, at least the pros - I'd expect a similar, but not quite as bright pattern with the standard) light up what you'd expect a fog light to actually light up in front of you.

Standard or Pro, I think you'll be pleased with the DD's SS3s.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
563 Posts
Are these mounted on the stock mounting points? Looking to make sure they are aimed & stay aimed correctly.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,966 Posts
C'mon now, this is a premium product, just read the product description. ;) If the fog version couldn't securely mount, it would no doubt be a serious hazard, particularly with the "pro" level output. I probably wouldn't consider the driving beam pattern on my 2015 since the SRF function defaults to ON and I'm not aware of a hack to fix that (I'm in the habit of turning it off, but my wife not so much).

Plug and Play. Thanks to custom-molded brackets, the SS3 Fog Light Bracket Kit can be installed on your Subaru Outback in minutes. Simply remove your factory fog light assembly and ours will bolt right in its place! Wire adapters are included to connect the lights to your factory bulb sockets - no additional wiring needed!

·
Registered
60 Posts
As @crucialcolin mentioned: The sharpness of the upper cutoff with the pros is less than with the standard set. I think this was mentioned in one of the Diode Dynamics videos (worth watching to get a feel for them).

I really think that the stock fog lights are ornamental. Even with replacing the bulbs with LED (white or yellow) I think it's a stretch to say that they do more than light up directly in front of the vehicle (maybe 15-20' out and an extra 5-10' on either side - and I think I'm being generous with that).

The DD lights (well, at least the pros - I'd expect a similar, but not quite as bright pattern with the standard) light up what you'd expect a fog light to actually light up in front of you.

Standard or Pro, I think you'll be pleased with the DD's SS3s.
I did notice based on their videos the SS3s don't seem to have as quite a smooth output throughout the entire beam pattern. Obviously a side effect of TIR optics.

I'm strongly considering standard SS3s(pro outside my budget) in white as an alternative to XenonDepot Xtreme Pro or Philips H11 LED in the stock fog housing. HID at 4300k to be installed in low beams. Just not sure if that beam pattern will bother me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did notice based on their videos the SS3s don't seem to have as quite a smooth output throughout the entire beam pattern. Obviously a side effect of TIR optics.

I'm strongly considering standard SS3s(pro outside my budget) in white as an alternative to XenonDepot Xtreme Pro or Philips H11 LED in the stock fog housing. HID at 4300k to be installed in low beams. Just not sure if that beam pattern will bother me.
I would be very interested in seeing them in white.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts