Subaru Outback Forums banner

Diode dynamics wilderness fogs - anyone running them?

618 15
May pick some up on the BF sale.

User opinions?

Yellow or white?
Reactions: Usmc1968
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
171 Posts
Hahahah, I just posted this exact question like 4 hours ago. This was a response from suechuck, "
I installed the backlit pro yellows a few months ago wicked bright and wide in all weather conditions. Makes a huge difference on the beach at night.
I went with the yellow for all weather conditions - extremely happy with them, excellent investment. "

I think I might go Yellow Pro's since they will be more useful in rainy / foggy conditions as well. Now about the backlight? Not sure I want to spend $30 extra if it is only for cool looks.

·
Registered
2023 OBW Silica Black
135 Posts
I am intersted in the yellows myself. I am not comfortable with dropping the bumper ad putting it back on with no issues. The only installer I found was over an hour away and $300-$400 to install. Not sure what to do on that.

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahahah, I just posted this exact question like 4 hours ago. This was a response from suechuck, "
I installed the backlit pro yellows a few months ago wicked bright and wide in all weather conditions. Makes a huge difference on the beach at night.
I went with the yellow for all weather conditions - extremely happy with them, excellent investment. "

I think I might go Yellow Pro's since they will be more useful in rainy / foggy conditions as well. Now about the backlight? Not sure I want to spend $30 extra if it is only for cool looks.
The non SS4 ones come with the back light.These are the ones with the cutoff lenses. etc

·
Registered
2023 Outback Wilderness
16 Posts
The fog lights are awesome! No comparison to the stock lights. I have the Max in yellow without the backlight. Pulled them from my 2019 when I traded in so I'm definitely a big fan of them. The bumper removal is not difficult, but just take your time. Disconnect the front camera plug that is on the left side. Remove the clips on the top and there were also 2 bolts to remove. Remove 3 clips from each wheel well and the clips on the bottom. Then carefully pop the bumper off starting at the wheel wells. Would be easier with a 2nd set of hands, but I was able to do it by myself. Unplug the lights just inside the bumper before removing all of the way. You will see where they are clipped in on either side. I suggest using blue painters tape or something similar to cover the edges of where the bumper meets the car. This will help prevent scratches when aligning it back up and snapping into place. Carefully pop it back on.

Vehicle registration plate Car Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness White (the best color)
130 Posts
I have the SS3 Max version in white. Very powerful and illuminate to the sides awesomely. I get flashed at night but whatever. I installed mine without removing the bumper. Just removed the lower wheel well shroud. Easy peasy.

Don

·
Registered
2023 Touring XT
50 Posts
I have yellow pros on my truck, they’re awesome. i want to see how the fogs are in our 2023 touring xt with the yellow overlays before purchasing DD fogs, but I have a feeling i will be purchasing them eventually.

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness Outback Autum Green
211 Posts
The fog lights are awesome! No comparison to the stock lights. I have the Max in yellow without the backlight. Pulled them from my 2019 when I traded in so I'm definitely a big fan of them. The bumper removal is not difficult, but just take your time. Disconnect the front camera plug that is on the left side. Remove the clips on the top and there were also 2 bolts to remove. Remove 3 clips from each wheel well and the clips on the bottom. Then carefully pop the bumper off starting at the wheel wells. Would be easier with a 2nd set of hands, but I was able to do it by myself. Unplug the lights just inside the bumper before removing all of the way. You will see where they are clipped in on either side. I suggest using blue painters tape or something similar to cover the edges of where the bumper meets the car. This will help prevent scratches when aligning it back up and snapping into place. Carefully pop it back on.

View attachment 554491
How do you aim them since they are not readily accessible with the bumper installed?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the SS3 in yellow, and am very happy with them.

Install is easy, if you're handy in any sort of capacity. Its more nerves pulling away the bumper after you've removed the pins/screws than anything, IMO. Just make sure you have a soft blanket (or like) to lay the bumper down on when you do the swap. And, plan to zip tie or fasten the modules.

\/ \/ you can get to the adjustment screws from underneath (each fog) with a long screwdriver..
How do you aim them since they are not readily accessible with the bumper installed?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i in Wilderness Green
152 Posts
Just ordered a pair of the wilderness elite fogs in white 6000k, will be a while until they arrive and I get to install. I like the fact they fit factory location and they'll work nicely alongside my current bar mounted SS3's.

Factoid : I don't even have a wilderness but after lots of looking I'm pretty sure these will fit right upto the the factory fogs on a JDM 2018 Outback. Slight modification may be required for the shroud, but I'll make em work.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
56 Posts
It's a pain on the wilderness. Their are (2) 5/32" allen bolt on the side of the fog light to allow for adjustment. Which are hard to access through the panel underneath the car. The fog lights needs some gap between the bumper and the pods to set them correctly. The top may sit flush to the bumper and the bottom may have a slight gap, depending how you aim them. They DO NOT adjust like the factory fogs with a screw driver.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness Outback Autum Green
211 Posts
It's a pain on the wilderness. Their are (2) 5/32" allen bolt on the side of the fog light to allow for adjustment. Which are hard to access through the panel underneath the car. The fog lights needs some gap between the bumper and the pods to set them correctly. The top may sit flush to the bumper and the bottom may have a slight gap, depending how you aim them. They DO NOT adjust like the factory fogs with a screw driver.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You are correct it"s a pain to aim them on the Wilderness since he bumper assemble doesn't allow any access.
Probably going to go with the Elite series since they aim similar to the OEM. Yes I am giving up lumen but at least I won't be flashed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts