Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

First post so take it easy on me :D

I have a small problem with a Subaru 1996 Outback,

The issue is: The Dash lights will not light up/work after I replaced the standard head unit with an after market pioneer one.

The unit is hard wired in (as i could not buy an after market harness)

I have done the following:

Checked all fueses (yes both the one in the engine bay and the one in side the car)
I have checked the dash light control is turned on.

When I rewired the head unit there was two wires I taped up the white/green (illumination) and the Yellow/Blue (Dimmer) all lights and systems are working perfectly...but the dash lights?

Can anyone shed some light on my issue??

Cheers, and thanks in advance :cool:

SKK

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Did you check your brightener roller it might be off,or should I say dimmer roller.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,664 Posts
it's possible the Ilumination Control Module got fried or, the new head unit needs a different connection to the Illumination wiring than expected.

the system is weird, everything gets 12V on one side, the other side varies from (I think) about 4v (bright) to 11 volts or so (dim)

check for a blown fuse of course.

Consider disconnecting the head unti and testing the dash backlights. If still not varying/working, you probably need the IC module. Then, do more research before connecting it to the head unit.

that's all I have - hopefully a real electrical guru will chime in here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's possible the Ilumination Control Module got fried or, the new head unit needs a different connection to the Illumination wiring than expected.

the system is weird, everything gets 12V on one side, the other side varies from (I think) about 4v (bright) to 11 volts or so (dim)

check for a blown fuse of course.

Consider disconnecting the head unti and testing the dash backlights. If still not varying/working, you probably need the IC module. Then, do more research before connecting it to the head unit.

that's all I have - hopefully a real electrical guru will chime in here.
Thanks for that LuckyTexan,

All fuses are fine, funny how the A/C light works, ash tray light works, all other lights on the dash work... just the dash lights and the lights on the gear leaver are out.

I pulled it all apart again today thinking i may have missed connection plug but all seems fine.

thanks again for your input.

Thinking it might need to see an auto electric :mad:

·
Premium Member
18,664 Posts
one other way out there thought

I recently had extremely dim dash lightes (though the knob would still vary them ever-so-slightly) on the wife's 03 OBW. I even bought a (used) Illum. module to put in. Then, after reading several posts and looking at schematics,asking more people, etc. ,someone pointed out that grounds and relays related to the dash switches and instrumentation have some odd common wiring and it was even suggested that the parking light (virgin) switch on top of the steering column shares some circuitry with a lot of stuff. It may be just coincidence, but, after I cycled that switch, the dashlight dimmer was working again! Unfortunately, that day, I went out to her car and cycled the switch, THEN looked at the dash lighting so, I can't say for CERTAIN they had just begun working anyway.

I've made a career in electronics for 38 years but, most car schematics confuse the h3ll outta me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would I check that the Illumination control module is fried? Also where would this be located?

Cheers, SKK

·
Premium Member
18,664 Posts
as said, unplug the new head unit and test the cluster backlights. If they work, you have some issue with the new unit or how the dimmer is connected to it.

I have tried on many occasions to determine for certain where my module is located. Still don't know.

But, it seems, some older models like yours have in mounted behind the 'knee' panel below the steering wheel. Try looking with a mirror or taking some pics with a camera. Or just drop the panel. You should probably source a replacement before going too far. They have been hard to get lately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts