Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I searched - I was unable to find what I really want. Typically, I'd experiment, but it is cold and I would like to see if someone else has accomplished this:

I had an aftermarket remote start installed in my 2002 OBW. When you start it, the alarm goes off, but it does start. You can stop alarm by pressing lock on OEM key fob.

I want to disable the security system. I don't want to carry 2 fobs, I don't want to put it in valet mode, etc. I want to disable the security system. I disconnected the security horn so that I could experiment without annoying beeping - and I'll be darned if it didn't blow the regular horn! I want to disable the security system. I am not worried about someone stealing my 11 yr old car with 116K miles and I don't care if insurance refuses to pay. I want to disable the security system.

Is it as simple as unplugging the security module? What about the starter interrupt?

I have service manual, but I have been unable to find the installation manuals mentioned in other posts.

Thanks,
Wally

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,277 Posts
Wally,

Which system do you want to remove? The factory system or the remote start?

The factory security module is in the center console stack to the right of the radio/CD tray. Just unplug it. The keyless entry should still operate.

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,977 Posts
Start at Page 7 of this installation guide, and work backwards! I would suggest that you remove not only the Security CPU module, but the relays installed for the starter interrupt ckt also. Not knowing exactly how these are wired together, you don't want to leave something dangling that might bite you some time in the future.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
depending on what you are trying to do , you can unplug the remote entry / alarm unit under the dash and disable that system. but i suspect you will lose your ability to lock and unlock the driver door electrically. iirc, the other doors will respond to the lock button on the door, but not the driver door. you will have to lock and unlock it manually. i think.

·
Premium Member
16,277 Posts
The keyless module is separate. Unplugging the security module will put it in the same condition as if it never had it. The keyless will still work for locking and unlocking the car. The starter interupt relay becomes ineffective.

I've attached the wiring diagrams.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies, folks...

I ended up using the "installation manual working backwards" method. I think I could have left the starter interrupt relay in place, but I decided to remove it also. I found a post on one of the other boards that had a pic of the interrupt relay jumper, and used it to make a jumper of my own out of heavy wire and a couple of spade lugs. I also removed the security horn for good measure.

Working great!

Thanks,
Wally

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI I followed cardoc's advise and accessed the module using these instructions:

http://butkus.org/subaru/outback_stereo/outback_stereo.htm

I can now use a key instead of my useless keyfob to unlock my 2001 Outback. Thanks everyone!!

Cheers,

>K<

·
Registered
2003 Outback LL Bean with 224,000 on the clock and a 03 Outback Limited with 157K
138 Posts
The factory security module is in the center console stack to the right of the radio/

Wally,

Which system do you want to remove? The factory system or the remote start?

The factory security module is in the center console stack to the right of the radio/CD tray. Just unplug it. The keyless entry should still operate.
Hmm, I was just trying to do this yesterday on my 2003 Outback LL Bean
In my car the module is NOT attached to the center stack on the right side..........there is nothing there at all. I have had the stack lose twice while installing a Kenwood stereo so I have looked carefully and the module is NOT there ???? :surprise:
Where the heck is the module ???????? See attached pic

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,587 Posts

Hmm, I was just trying to do this yesterday on my 2003 Outback LL Bean
In my car the module is NOT attached to the center stack on the right side..........there is nothing there at all. I have had the stack lose twice while installing a Kenwood stereo so I have looked carefully and the module is NOT there ???? :surprise:
Where the heck is the module ???????? See attached pic

Thanks,
Jim
Odd.

Is it possible you or a previous owner relocated it when installing an aftermarket stereo?

The picture shows below the head unit with the stereo removed, the plug that isn't going anywhere I believe is where the security module was:

This is the same area with the dash still in place:

Some models used the brackets behind the stereo to hold modules and relays. They are still attached in the second picture but hard to see. Look at the yellow airbag harness behind the plugs and you'll see them. The bolt gives away the bracket.

That would be the first place I looked because otherwise the harness would have to be changed to move it anywhere else.

·
Registered
2003 Outback LL Bean with 224,000 on the clock and a 03 Outback Limited with 157K
138 Posts
Thanks

Odd.

Is it possible you or a previous owner relocated it when installing an aftermarket stereo?

The picture shows below the head unit with the stereo removed, the plug that isn't going anywhere I believe is where the security module was:
THANKS for the fast response :smile2:

I still have the center dash trim and console out and I cannot find the alarm module or the harness. The module must still be in the car and working or I wouldn't have the issues with the alarm/horns going off all the time.
I will search again while the parts are removed..........but so far I cannot locate the alarm module:frown2:
BTW, the car still had the OEM radio/cd player installed when I started. I found no sign of the center stack being accessed before.

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,277 Posts
^^^^^^ What brucey said.

The module is not very big. The screws are in a spot where they can be dropped easily if you don't have a magnetic driver; dito putting the screws back in. It's possible someone had the center stack apart in the past and got frustrated with it (or left it out on reassembly). It's held to the bracket with 2 screws. See pic. The integrated module is the white one between the steering column shaft and the relay box. See pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
cardoc,

Thanks for the reply!

I did look well for the black Alpine box and could not locate it. I can't get the entire center console stack out as there is another module on the top of the stack that has what looks like a CB wire connected at the left top corner and that prevents me from pulling out the stack.
Are you suggesting that I disconnect all the bundles attached to the module under the dash?

Thanks,
JIm

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 2005 outback (right hand drive) and having the same issues. I started with the centre console and couldn't see the security unit. I did see the airbag unit (yellow cables) and didn't go any further in the centre. I investigate the area behind the glove compartment with no success and furthermore behind the driver console. Sometimes the alarm doesn't go off at all, and then, like magic, goes off at 5 in the morning or some other random time. I was expecting it would be sitting there with it's magic label (Subaru Security Unit) like I've see in other videos of other cars not like mine. Did you ever resolve this issue?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts