Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I have just purchased my first Subaru, a 2012 Outback. So far I'm very much enjoying the car.

I'm trying to disable the feature that lets all my neighbors know when I come and go. I found this post, which describes the procedure (and of course it's also in the manual).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...31400-how-disable-beep-when-you-lock-car.html

I tried it half a dozen times and nothing happened. It's supposed to blink a few times to tell you it worked. That didn't happen, and the beep didn't go away.

Could someone who has made this work perhaps describe any nuances of the procedure that are not obvious from the manual?

For example, do you push AND HOLD the door unlock button to start the procedure, continuing to hold it all the way through the end of step 4, or do you push (and release) it, then insert the key, then push and hold it again while inserting and removing the key. It could be read either way.

I tried it both ways, but maybe once you screw it up it won't acknowledge the procedure again until something resets? I don't know. I just couldn't get it to work and rather than continuing to act like a laboratory monkey I figured I'd ask :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured it out

What the manual does not make at all clear is that you must press and hold the door unlock button throughout the entire procedure (not just step 4), including the last step when you open and close the door to finish. That was what I was missing. You must not release the door unlock button until you've finished by opening and close the door. Definitely requires two hands!

Anyway hopefully this will help someone else in the future who was confused by the directions.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium
3 Posts
What the manual does not make at all clear is that you must press and hold the door unlock button throughout the entire procedure (not just step 4), including the last step when you open and close the door to finish. That was what I was missing. You must not release the door unlock button until you've finished by opening and close the door. Definitely requires two hands!

Anyway hopefully this will help someone else in the future who was confused by the directions.
I'm glad you figured it out, I did the procedure and had to try a few times to make it work, but couldn't remember any specifics.

Although I may have done more than I should have to disable the beep--now when I lock the door with the button inside before closing the car, the alarm is enabled. Good to have the option I suppose, though I generally consider alarms useless and annoying. But this at least makes sure I lock it with the fob, the best assurance I won't lock my keys in the car :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts