Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2010 OB 2.5i CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The panic button on the key fob is too sensitive. It's set off the alarm several times when I grab my keys. I want to keep the security system but just not have it set off with the panic button.
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Johnp said:
The panic button on the key fob is too sensitive. It's set off the alarm several times when I grab my keys. I want to keep the security system but just not have it set off with the panic button.
Thanks
My fingers set it off starting the car quite often. If I would have known this earlier, I never would have purchased the Outback nor would I get another with this key system.

·
Registered
Former: 2010 & 2002 OB
360 Posts
Re: Re: Disable panic button on key fob?

Porky said:

My fingers set it off starting the car quite often. If I would have known this earlier, I never would have purchased the Outback nor would I get another with this key system.
I have set it off starting the car too...what PITA! I couldn't seem to shut it off and my daughter was saying 'What's Wrong daddy???" as I fumbled with those little buttons like a moron :eek:

I now try to grasp the sides of the key when I start it...which, according to the manual will shut off the alarm...go figure :rolleyes:

A programming override would be nice...you could always modify the key from the inside, but would be nice to have a reversible mod for when we sell the car.

·
Registered
2011 OB Prem. 6MT
147 Posts
Re: Re: Disable panic button on key fob?

Porky said:

I have a hard time believing that you're serious. It seems simple to grab the key differently or just use the valet key?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i LTD
6 Posts
I have had this happen on one of my other cars. What I done was pull the remote apart as you would to replace the battery. Then put a small piece of tape under the panic button. Have not had this happen with my Outback yet, but if it does it will get the tape mod.

Jim C

·
Registered
360 Posts
thxbaby said:
I have had this happen on one of my other cars. What I done was pull the remote apart as you would to replace the battery. Then put a small piece of tape under the panic button. Have not had this happen with my Outback yet, but if it does it will get the tape mod.

Jim C
I tried that, but the immobilizer module with the buttons is apparently sealed. You can access the battery by taking off the cover, but that seems to be about it. Maybe someone more daring then me will try it... :12:

·
Registered
2010 3.6R
94 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Disable panic button on key fob?

Seaweed said:

I have a hard time believing that you're serious. It seems simple to grab the key differently or just use the valet key?
If someone only read what was in this place, they'd be convinced the sky is falling. :help:

I am used to the keys b/c my current car has the same keys pretty much..... So from that I can tell everyone that you will get used to it. It is not a big deal.

·
Registered
250 Posts
mattski said:

Only if it is reversible glue...
You could probably take it apart and glue the button with crazy glue on the inside. It would keep the button from accidentally being pressed, but if pressed hard it would break the glue bond and work like it had never been altered. Then again it could permanently mess up the key fob.:22:

·
Registered
360 Posts
CheesyRider said:

You could probably take it apart and glue the button with crazy glue on the inside. It would keep the button from accidentally being pressed, but if pressed hard it would break the glue bond and work like it had never been altered. Then again it could permanently mess up the key fob.:22:
My wife took my super glue away :mad:

I tried to glue the volume knob on my daughter's computer so that she wouldn't keep pulling it off and letting the cats bat it away...long story short, the the entire knob got fused to the speaker and vise grips needed to be employed, thus shredding aforementioned knob and rendering on-off switch unresponsive...speaker now has to be unplugged to turn on and off...whooops :8:

I can live with the panic button - albeit ergonomically incorrect - once was enough of a lesson for me!

·
Registered
09 Outback PZEV, H4, 4EAT
166 Posts
If you just want to stop the button from being pressed, use clear nail polish around the edges. Nail polish is quite brittle and will readily crack with sufficient pressure. If it's an emergency, you'll press it that hard! :)

This trick works for loose screws and all sort of similar problems. It's a cheap form of Loctite! :)

·
Registered
2010 OB 2.5i CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Seaweed said:

And I have a hard time believing that you bothered to post this response.

·
Registered
2011 OB Prem. 6MT
147 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Disable panic button on key fob?

Johnp said:

And I have a hard time believing that you bothered to post this response.
Likewise.

At least I offered two possible solutions.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Seaweed said:

On mine you don't have to touch the button and it goes off. Turn the key with a key ring sets the alarm off just twisting the key. I use the valet key to start it now, they are getting me a new key. Can't put the key in a pocket as any movement sets it off.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, 2010 2.5i Premium CVT
139 Posts

Porky said:

On mine you don't have to touch the button and it goes off. Turn the key with a key ring sets the alarm off just twisting the key. I use the valet key to start it now, they are getting me a new key. Can't put the key in a pocket as any movement sets it off.
It sounds like you have found the best solution in getting a new key. I've had my OB for almost 4 months and have never accidentally set off the panic alarm. I take no special precautions so it makes sense to me that problem stems from your particular key. Hope the new one resolves the issue.

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts

Porky said:

My car came with two keys, in addition to the valet key. Do both of your key/remotes behave the same way? I've not had the issue myself and the carry the key around with me all the time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disable panic button on key fob?

chrisi said:

My car came with two keys, in addition to the valet key. Do both of your key/remotes behave the same way? I've not had the issue myself and the carry the key around with me all the time.
The second key that Kathy has isn't as bad as mine but still needs replacement. She can't push the unlock button without setting off the alarm, so that must have been just a bad batch of keys early on along with the clockspring in the steering wheel so cruise, airbag, paddle shifters and stuff won't work either. Ready to get rid of it soon... Porky

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Ltd w/Eyesight; 2016 OB 3.6R LTD w/Eyesight
26 Posts
Bumping this thread, as this has happened to me on a few occassions. The panic button just happens to be optimally located on the key to be prone to accidental presses.

The Subaru key appears to come from the same manufacturer that supplies for Honda. I was thinking about getting one of these silicone skins (http://www.thejacketstore.com/servlet/the-186/Honda-Keyless-Remote-Key/Detail) which might limit the accidental presses on the panic button.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
major said:
Bumping this thread, as this has happened to me on a few occassions. The panic button just happens to be optimally located on the key to be prone to accidental presses.

The Subaru key appears to come from the same manufacturer that supplies for Honda. I was thinking about getting one of these silicone skins (http://www.thejacketstore.com/servlet/the-186/Honda-Keyless-Remote-Key/Detail) which might limit the accidental presses on the panic button.
A cover from the JacketStore would definitely help with the accidental presses. I had these covers on my similar Lexus keys and they work great. They also offer great protection for the key shell. One of the first things I did after purchasing my Legacy and Outback was go to the JacketStore site to get key covers. I was disappointed to see they did not have them for Subaru. The Honda key you posted looks to be shaped a little differently (but it may work). It may be worth a call or email to the jacketStore to ask about Subaru keys.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts