Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
This is my first post. I have a 2017 Outback Limited 4cyl.

Is there any way to disable/delete/destroy/nuke or otherwise remove this pestilential expired gratis intro Sirius service from my radio?

Every time I switch from my iPod to classical FM, the radio lands on an incredibly loud and obnoxious stream of continuous Sirius promo bloviation, from which I have to quickly switch away or be deafened.

There is no way to cover up the Sirius presets with the same repeated FM station that is the only decent radio in this rural area.

I've even considered wrenching on the shark fin antenna to get it to stop. Is there one wire that I could cut to disconnect the satellite reception? Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
Just call Sirius and cancel the service!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service is cancelled, but it is still blasting promo content (same on every channel) on the Sirius preset slots, which cannot be covered with regular FM radio selections.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
64 Posts
The service is cancelled, but it is still blasting promo content (same on every channel) on the Sirius preset slots, which cannot be covered with regular FM radio selections.
Ditto! I let my subscription expire as well and am quite annoyed at all the ads and phone calls to re-up. I probably would not mess with the shark fin since it probably is also connected to your Subaru Link/Starlink and other telematics/telemetry information.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,017 Posts
Sirius ='s one of the most crooked businesses in this country. If you ever give them your credit card...then cancel. They will charge you again and you can not reverse the charges unless you can provide them with a cancellation number they give you when you call in and cancel. I no longer even owned the car when I noticed. Even American Express sided with sirius when I tried a charge back. They lost a big class action suit several years ago due to this parctice and they are still doing it! Even after over a year they stll pester the crap out of me trying to get me to subscribe for my Subaru! If I could stick my hand through the phone I would ring the callers neck so hard their head would go rolling away!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I know the promo station that you're talking about....horrible! These guys have a monopoly and don't appreciate that they could really be liked by all if they were fair. I only listen a bit and have to argue with them at each renewal to get some "one-time promotional rate" which is still too expensive.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
553 Posts
Are you sure about this? Can’t you reset the presets and then just not set any Sirius presets?

Is your #1 preset an FM or Sirius station? When switching to FM, could you hit source (in the top right) and then select FM?

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Are you sure about this? Can’t you reset the presets and then just not set any Sirius presets?

Is your #1 preset an FM or Sirius station? When switching to FM, could you hit source (in the top right) and then select FM?
That was my thought. I am a Sirius subscriber so have never tried to shut it down. I do believe channel 1 is the demo channel and by default is set to preset #1. Seems to me you select the FM station of one's choice then press and hold preset #1 to assign it to that station.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R EyeSight, 20mm RSB, STB, 2" ECOhitch
627 Posts
I thought you could turn off the Sirius antenna in the settings. I have been planning to do this to disable the lousy traffic information which causes stupid nav routing. I saw it in the settings on my 2016.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,148 Posts
The 2015 head unit allows you to wipe all the presets so nothing from SiriusXM shows if you don't have an active subscription (I currently subscribe only to traffic and still have no SXM presets). (BTW, the menu system also allows you to tell the NAV to ignore traffic when routing)

WRT killing the SXM signal, that's easy to do on the 2015 head unit if you don't mind pulling the dash apart a bit to get the unit out. Unscrew the unit, pull it out, then disconnect the antenna. There are 3 antenna connections on my unit, possibly 4 for yours (I don't have the emergency service cellular system), so check for no signal before reassembling. That should definitely do the trick.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium
83 Posts
On my last three new cars I never signed up for the free 6 months Sirius XM service. My email box and home mail box was bombarded with all these "You haven't signed up yet" BS from them. They're a dirty company no doubt and I won't give them my business ever!

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,498 Posts
I only listen a bit and have to argue with them at each renewal to get some "one-time promotional rate" which is still too expensive.
I do that, too.

The trick is to refuse to give them a CC number, request a mailed invoice, and pay by paper check. Otherwise you will be automatically renewed (at retail) when the "promo' ends, and it's going to be an even bigger PITA to get the better rate. The deal varies, but if you threaten to cancel, they usually manage to find a subscription price somewhere half the standard rate ($16/mo? I forget) plus taxes and fees.

Set up a "throwaway" email account on gmail, etc. and give them that address; I keep an account like that for the times when you have to respond to an email to complete a registration and stuff that might attract spam; it gets checked when I'm specifically looking for a message, but only occasionally otherwise. I don't think I get phone calls from SXM - I can't remember what it took to get those to stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know the promo station that you're talking about....horrible! These guys have a monopoly and don't appreciate that they could really be liked by all if they were fair. I only listen a bit and have to argue with them at each renewal to get some "one-time promotional rate" which is still too expensive.
I got a years subscription for $60 after Thanksgiving, but I believe it comes out to $73 after all taxes. I usually cancel a few days before contract comes due.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
I agre the company sucks. I got my 2017 OB premium in june and never subscribed but for the free trial. Bombarding me with emails and paper mail to sign up. Never got a phone call from them. I guess Subaru didn't give them my phone thank goodness. I still get shrill lookimg mail from them but after unsubscribing I don't get their emails any more.

But I don't understand the problems with the blairing ads. I have nered heard them.When i got the car I set the first 3 radio presets to the three off the air FM and AM ststions I sometimes listen to. The Starlink never put the radio onto any Sirius station.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I found a better solution. All of the music services such as Pandora have an upgrade plan ($60/yr or $120/yr depending on your needs) that will download your favorite music streams/channels to your phone while in a WiFi area, such as home.. Then when in the car you connect via bluetooth and play the music OFFLINE, using no data.
Then you cancel Sirius/XM

Reactions: EFT

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
My salesperson had set up our '17 for SXM when we picked it up in June. Shortly there after we got a welcome email from them, to which I replied don't welcome me, I didn't sign up. Every time I got an email from them I would tell them I'm not interested in anything your'e offering period and when the trial period is up we're gone. Trial period was over 2 months ago and I haven't heard from them. As soon as we no longer received the SXM signal I overwrote the SXM presets with the AM and FM stations we do listen to.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,148 Posts
Music leaves a lot to be desired from the heavily-compressed signal. I subscribe for the exclusive live programming they offer, but I agree, their business model stinks. Another simple way to stop them from charging you for renewal, if your credit card happens to have this feature, is to generate a temporary credit card number. I just log into my BOA Visa account and generate a new card number that expires in 1 month and use that to pay for any SiriusXM services.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,290 Posts
I let Sirius expire but I do not get any loud ads at any time. My station settings 1-8 are FM radio stations. My former Sirius presets below the FM stations seem to play demo music only when selected. Try overwriting your first preset.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5 Limited w ES. Tungsten.
122 Posts
Just wondering if there are any updates. We have a 2019 Outback. Sirius 3 month free just expired. I would like it to be totally gone from the head unit. We have our own music on USB stick and for radio listen to FM stations.

It is still reverting to the annoying advertising channel. Hopefully I can prevent that? Seems like it switches to that channel and comes on loud whenever I turn engine off? I must do some more experimenting, but would be interested in what others have done. Hopefully step by step for an old guy with a 2019 model :)

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,148 Posts
Make sure you've deleted ALL of the SXM presets and then maybe set some for a few FM stations. This worked for the 2015 HU, I haven't heard my head unit playing Sirius in years. If you've cleared the presets and it's still defaulting to the SXM promo channel, then you might consider a quick visit to your dealer. IF they have some familiarity with the system, they should be able to get you sorted out very quickly. I wouldn't even make an appointment.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts