Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to disable the LKA- BUT keep warning dings?

Wife's Subby (in the box to the left) will give me all the various dings/chimes of lane departure and whatever, but NEVER have I felt any sort of mechanical feedback to correct anything.

I'm happy that is doesn't try to drive, from all the reading, watching various YouTube Vids...I'm just getting more and more confused as to what is 'on' and what is 'off'.

Hope this makes sense.

Bill

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
I believe LKA is automatically turned off every time you start the car.

You have to turn it on each time.

All warnings will stay on by default.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanx!

Yea, that's my impression too. Then how do ya turn the thing back on? That's where I'm loosing it.

Bill

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
button on right side of wheel.

I actually turn off LDW, but the orange light that stays lit when you disable it plucks with my OCD.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,204 Posts

Somebody mentioned in another thread about the LKA staying at whatever the setting was when car was shut off in the 2018 models. So if it was on when car was shut off it will still be on when car is next started. I know in my 2017 the default is off when you start the car but it may have been changed now. Maybe someone with a 2018 can confirm or reject this.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
315 Posts
Lane Keep Assist (LKA) is different than Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and they can work independently.

It appears, in 2018 models at least, that the car will "remember" whether LKA and LDW is on or off as set by the user, even after turning the car off and restarting later, unlike other Eyesight features (i.e., Pre-Collision Braking and Pre-Collision Throttle Management turn back on by default once the car is restarted, even if the driver previously turned them off last time driving).

In direct answer to OP's question: You can leave LDW on (and get warning beeps if you're drifting) while LKA is turned off (i.e., no steering assistance).

This is in fact how I usually drive -- my LDW is "on" and LKA is "off."

See the attached thumbnails for (1) the indicator lights representing the two systems (LKA is #10 and appears in the center LCD screen and LDW is #17 and appears in the tachometer), and (2) the controls to turn them on on off (LKA on/off is #3 and is on the steering wheel, right hand side; and LDW is #9 and is on the lower left control panel down by the fuse box). These images, BTW, are from the 2018 Eyesight Manual, pages 13 and 17.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Somebody mentioned in another thread about the LKA staying at whatever the setting was when car was shut off in the 2018 models. So if it was on when car was shut off it will still be on when car is next started. I know in my 2017 the default is off when you start the car but it may have been changed now. Maybe someone with a 2018 can confirm or reject this.
Yes, on my 2018 LKA remains whatever setting it was on when I turned the car off. If it was on, it will again be on at next start. If it was off, it remains off. Since I rarely use it, I prefer it this way.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,204 Posts
Yes, on my 2018 LKA remains whatever setting it was on when I turned the car off. If it was on, it will again be on at next start. If it was off, it remains off. Since I rarely use it, I prefer it this way.
Thanks for confirming that; I was pretty sure that had been mentioned somewhere. I rarely use LKA either so I am okay with off being the default on mine. I can see advantages either way but for someone who uses it all the time the new setup would be better for sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate all the replies-Thank you!

I 'think' where I'm having problems is I've been putzin' with her car while it's sitting in the garage. Example-If I hit the #3 switch on the steering wheel, I get the "Eye Sight" disabled picture. After MORE reading It seems for me that to be able to turn LKA on or off...one needs to be movin' down the road in excess of about 37MPH. THEN #3 will work as the pictures say.

We'll see tomorrow.

Again thnx for the help...

Bill

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got 'it' to work!

Call me stupid or whatever but for switch #3 to work the engine must be up and running. For 'it' to activate, ya gotta be movin' better then 35 (or so)+ MPH.

Inna a nut shell, no LKA but all the ding/chimes work = Happy Camper!

Thanx again guys!

Bill

·
Registered
24 Posts
With 2018 LKA on the lines beside the car icon are normally white. They sometimes turn green. I don't know if they change to other colors? Can anyone explain what the color changes mean? I really did search the manual.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
296 Posts
This is a post I made in another thread, it applies to the 2018 and I think most of it applies to other years as well.
It also explains why the LKA lines sometimes turn green.

"Most of you probably already know these things but I will repeat them for new people or those who haven't used these systems:

LDW (Lane Departure Warning) dings at you when you get close to or touch the lane edge marker. The LDW can be turned off with a switch below the dash light dimmer, there are 4 switches the LDW is the 3rd one from the left. You need to push it for a couple of seconds to turn off or back on. When LDW is off you will get a yellow indicator in the tachometer.

LKA (Lane Keep Assist) gives the steering wheel a little nudge when you are near the lane edge. LKA has a chime that chimes at you (almost a ding) when on one side or the other it can not see the lane edge marker. It looks a little way ahead so you usually won't hear it if the cameras see the lane edge continuing up ahead. The LKA is controlled by a switch on the right steering wheel spoke. When it is on and acquires the lane edges heavy vertical white lines show on each side of the ACC indicator. If you hear the chime glance down and you will notice that one (or both) of the heavy white lines is gone. It will reappear when the eyesight cameras reacquire the lane edge. The small LKA indicator is normally white but it turns green when the LKA is actually making a correction for you.

These two systems operate independently. You can turn either of them on or off without effecting the other."

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a post I made in another thread, it applies to the 2018 and I think most of it applies to other years as well.
It also explains why the LKA lines sometimes turn green.

"Most of you probably already know these things but I will repeat them for new people or those who haven't used these systems:

LDW (Lane Departure Warning) dings at you when you get close to or touch the lane edge marker. The LDW can be turned off with a switch below the dash light dimmer, there are 4 switches the LDW is the 3rd one from the left. You need to push it for a couple of seconds to turn off or back on. When LDW is off you will get a yellow indicator in the tachometer.

LKA (Lane Keep Assist) gives the steering wheel a little nudge when you are near the lane edge. LKA has a chime that chimes at you (almost a ding) when on one side or the other it can not see the lane edge marker. It looks a little way ahead so you usually won't hear it if the cameras see the lane edge continuing up ahead. The LKA is controlled by a switch on the right steering wheel spoke. When it is on and acquires the lane edges heavy vertical white lines show on each side of the ACC indicator. If you hear the chime glance down and you will notice that one (or both) of the heavy white lines is gone. It will reappear when the eyesight cameras reacquire the lane edge. The small LKA indicator is normally white but it turns green when the LKA is actually making a correction for you.

These two systems operate independently. You can turn either of them on or off without effecting the other."
Thanks so much. You explained this to me already re chimes but I missed the part about Lka color changes

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hate the LDW (simply annoying) and therefore switched it off.
LKA also is usually off, but I use it when on highway, quite useful then (active steering correction) due to the higher speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts