Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day I got my new Outback my Australian Shepherd stood, for about 15 sec, with her feet on the lid. It immediately dented and to this day, over a year later, still has deep nail marks in it. She's about 60 lbs and wasn't jumping, just stood while walking front to back. Subaru advertises "pet friendly" cars and even show dogs in the commercials. How can they put out a product that gets ruined right away.
In order to keep this from continually happening my husband made a cover from an old carpet to place over the console when the dog is in the car.
I'm so disapointed in Subaru about this. Otherwise, it's a great car.
(Just wanted to vent...I can't be the only one with this issue):(

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,107 Posts
I wouldn't say the car was 'unfriendly' to the dog.

Many vehicles have components that could be damaged by concentrated application of force whether from a dogs feet or a kids toy or lumber from the hardware store,etc.

did you make a warranty claim?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't say the car was 'unfriendly' to the dog.

Many vehicles have components that could be damaged by concentrated application of force whether from a dogs feet or a kids toy or lumber from the hardware store,etc.

did you make a warranty claim?
I did not make a warranty claim. I'd mentioned it to the dealer but didn't get the impression it would be covered under warranty ...guess I should check.
If she had jumped or rough-house on the lid it wouldn't have bothered me but all she did was put her paws on it to go from back to front. I've never owned a car that was that sensitive...

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
I'm not surprised that nails from a 60 lb. dog will damage a console lid. Barring the use of extremely hard plastics, such treatment will lead to damage of "soft touch" materials like rubberized plastic or leather.

To be honest, I can't think of a car that's more "dog friendly" than the average vehicle other than maybe vehicles like the Element which can be hosed out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am annoyed by this as well. I made a over for my console but it has not been a perfect solution, and the damage was already done.

·
Registered
2015 OB Ltd, Lapis Blue Pearl, should arrive in May
66 Posts
Keep your dog outa the car. Or get a crate. I'll never understand dog people!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i crystal white pearl
472 Posts
the console lid was not made to stand on by dogs or small children.that why there is a FLOOR in the car.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited with Tech package, 2004 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor 4 Dr 105,000 km.
301 Posts
Dog stays in the back, way in the back! Don't need a 125 lb Tosa or 120 Akita sitting in my lap. Crate is the best choice for the dogs and safety for the driver.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,689 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
354 Posts
In my '09 one of the first things I noticed when I test drove it was that there were marks from the previous owners dog(s). Same thing that you mentioned on the console, and then also on the rear passenger side arm rest. Knowing that I was getting a new Chocolate lab puppy, and have a 1.5year old with another on the way it didn't concern me too much. Still better than cigarette burns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts