Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2001 Subaru Outback that handled beautifully in snow. I recently got a 2015 Outback and I absolutely HATE it in the winter. It does not handle well and even with just a little snow it seems to be all over the road. Anyone else have the same problem? And do you think a good set of snow tires would help?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
OEM tires? Probably half worn by now?

Gonna handle terrible.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
I live in upstate NY, studded snows on the H6 one, regular snows on the other.

I guess I could happily get by with a fresh set of all seasons every single november. ...but that sounds expensive.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
48 Posts
My 2016 with OEM tires, 36K miles has started slipping badly on wet roads. The tires really don't look worn but is there any other reason for this to happen? I have an appointment on the 16th for new tires and alignment. I have become extremely wary with handling in wet conditions. Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Soon as it snows, I'll get out and test mine with 15,000 miles on the OEM tires and let ya know.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,117 Posts
Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R WGM
151 Posts
It's OK to be wrong (at least that is what I hear)

All seasons may work for some, but if you NEED to get somewhere in the winter...

Is it on par with the 2001? I don't know never owned one but it's a larger heavier car so there is a bound to be a little trade off. With the right tires its pretty ridic.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,296 Posts
Define "handling"? As far as my experience goes, it's more "hooked" to the ground than any car I have had before it. I have driven my '05 Legacy in the minor amounts of snow and ice we get here, my SO's old '04 Forester XT and her '16 Forester. The '16 Foz and '16 Outback have all done, by far, the best at getting going and maintaining their track. Now, I have had the most fun in my Legacy, but that is the complete opposite of what I'm sure you are trying to accomplish. I find my new car *much less* fun due to the nannies that keep it tracking in the way it was intended and stop wheel spin when detected. So, no, I can't say I have experienced that.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R WGM
151 Posts
Maybe she can hold a grudge?
It has been blowing up in South America and Australia. They are getting hit similarly to how the Sierras were this winter. I'm pretty jealous but rumor has it the NE will finally be getting their fair share this winter.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
Where are you that it's snowing right now?
I would think she is thinking about last winter, and contemplating this coming winter.

while both you and I sleep happy with a stack of snow tires on rims,...patiently waiting to be re-installed.

______

2nd winter on all seasons sucks. 3rd winter would really really suck,...not enough tread to bite slick types of snow and climb mild grades.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,299 Posts
It's OK to be wrong (at least that is what I hear)

All seasons may work for some, but if you NEED to get somewhere in the winter...

Is it on par with the 2001? I don't know never owned one but it's a larger heavier car so there is a bound to be a little trade off. With the right tires its pretty ridic.
Your experience is the same as mine.

Maybe the green ones are better in the snow?

>:)

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts
I had a 2001 Subaru Outback that handled beautifully in snow. I recently got a 2015 Outback and I absolutely HATE it in the winter. It does not handle well and even with just a little snow it seems to be all over the road. Anyone else have the same problem? And do you think a good set of snow tires would help?
Snow tires would not help as they are only good for highway driving in hot summers!

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited
20 Posts
Consumer Reports says that snow tires make a bigger improvement in winter handling than 4-wheel drive. Based on that, I bought snow tires for my '14 OB Premium a couple years ago.

Last month I traded in my '14 for an '18 OB Limited. I still have the snow tires from the '14 OB but of course, they don't fit the '18: the '18 has 18" wheels, the '14 had 17" wheels.

Before I spend the money on a new set of snow tires, does anyone know if I could continue using the old snow tires simply by getting a set of rims for them?

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
The first winter after I purchased my 2016, it snowed often enough to go out and see what the fuss was all about with Subaru AWD and traction control and x-mode and what not.
I impressed every single person I took out for a drive in the snow. We never got stuck, even when I tried a couple times to plow through 2-3 ft high snow drifts. I just popped into R and off I went.

I am trying to imagine any situation where a Gen5 Outback would be all over the road, and [black] ice under the snow certainly qualifies. Well, that or, turning off the helpful features, and slamming on the gas and brake a lot to never let the car get its "footing" for lack of a better term.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,117 Posts
Last month I traded in my '14 for an '18 OB Limited. I still have the snow tires from the '14 OB but of course, they don't fit the '18: the '18 has 18" wheels, the '14 had 17" wheels.

Before I spend the money on a new set of snow tires, does anyone know if I could continue using the old snow tires simply by getting a set of rims for them?
So not on wheels? Sure. Just get 17" wheels that would fit an '18 Base or Premium. Those still come 17", right? Or watch classifieds here.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,299 Posts
Consumer Reports says that snow tires make a bigger improvement in winter handling than 4-wheel drive. Based on that, I bought snow tires for my '14 OB Premium a couple years ago.

They'll fit assuming you buy 17" wheels but the tire diameter will be slightly less and throw off the speedometer a few mph.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts