Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 outback LLBean which I bought new-the car currently has about 62,500 miles. In the last 6 months I have had 2 mechanical failures which had safety implications requiring the car to be flat bedded to the dealership (throttle position management sensor and engine control module failure). In these two separate incidents the car went from normal operation to "limp mode" with a top speed of less than 10 MPH-pretty scary. During this same period I have needed 2 axle boot covers replaced (consider this fairly normal due to age) and have had to have front and (I think) rear O2 sensors replaced (separate failures 2 days apart). Dealer has been very sympathetic and supportive but I no longer have any confidence in the reliability of the vehicle and have questions about its road worthiness. Total repairs in the last 6 months about $2000 documented at the dealership. Given this dismal history and desire to be rid of it, I am shopping replacement vehicles. As part of that effort, I called SOA and asked if they had any customer retention incentives. The fellow I spoke with was very pleasant and verified my service history and presumably expense. He then proceeded to offer an "incentive" of $500. Quite frankly, with the 2013 model year quickly coming to a close, I would imagine discounts on existing 2013's will be forthcoming soon. At any rate I told the fellow that that offer was insufficient to stay with Subaru and I don't think he really cared. Needless to say I will advise friends and family of my experience. Currently looking at Acura, Ford Edge and Hyundai Tuscon and Santa Fe's. Hyundais are kinda goofy looking to me but they are priced right, get good reviews and have an impressive warranty. Suggest others in the market might want to shop around as, based on my experience SOA doesn't seem real concerned about keeping your business

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Someone might call me a jerk for this, but I don't like to sugar coat things...

You are complaining about having to make repairs on an 8 year old car? Cars break, it happens. If you want to get a new car, well, that is your prerogative and your money, but quite frankly that should be expected of a car that old. Don't blame the car, blame the age.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,772 Posts
...that is pretty much the way it is...as they get older they fall apart...same thing happens to us as we age too...lol. And there is definitely no warranty on us. We are like cars. We last longer if we take care of ourselves...but even with regular service cars eventually die.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
In general, I agree with what others have said here, but to be fair I think it is unusual for an ECM to fail (the other stuff doesn't really surprise me a whole lot), an I suspect that was a pretty hefty bill.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree and acknowledge that mechanical things fail over time as evidenced by my comment regarding the axle boots in my original post. My issues are that the car only has 62,500 ish miles and all the "electrical issues" TPMS, ECM and O2 sensors occurred in the last 6 months with the first and second O2 sensors failing 2 days and less than 100 miles apart. The ECM was $970. This car is clearly out of warranty and SOA has no obligation to do anything. My call to SOA was to afford them the opportunity to sell a new 3.6 SAP, keep me as a somewhat satisfied customer and encourage me to purchase my 4th Subaru. From my perspective, they did not exhibit any interest in doing that.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 25i
6 Posts
I thought there was an extended warranty on parts that controlled the emissions systems, ie the engine control module. In fact, I just checked the manual and the warranty is good for 8 yrs and 80,000 miles. I guess the op may have been out side of the 8 years, but if the failures happened 6 months ago, you would have thought the time frame was within the warranty period.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
My call to SOA was to afford them the opportunity to sell a new 3.6 SAP, keep me as a somewhat satisfied customer and encourage me to purchase my 4th Subaru. From my perspective, they did not exhibit any interest in doing that.

Maybe it's because you came off like as self-entitled?

/just sayin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The in-service date was 8/2/2004 so out of time. I've read a lot of comments on this board about buying the first production of a new model year being a bad idea. Based on this experience I would suggest that is very sound advice

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
BTD: If you had trouble (and repairs) on these components, while still in warranty, they may still be under warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the thought about previous repairs might still be under warranty. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) these are all recent. TPMS was in October, ECM was Jan and O2 sensors were both this month. Given this history/pattern, I don't know what might go next or when and it is for this reason it has to go.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
The ECM was likely the problem all along and the 02 sensors were casulties. They likely could've just been cleaned but most shops prefer to replace them.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,346 Posts
This it's the first "good bye" post in a while to follow what others here have stated would be a productive complaint post.

Stated specific problems with the car and the process used to diagnose and fix the issues.

OP, if I had all those failures so quickly in a short time i would most likely get rid of the car too. I had a Jeep that at 130k needed 5k in repairs, it was time to move on. $2k in 60k miles is a little high.

The only thing that is a little unrealistic is that SOA would give you more than a $500 credit. Dealers make the deals. If you have a good relation ship with them why not talk to them about a new car... get a low price... Then add the $500 credit to that?

Life is like chess, don't give up the game because you lose a couple pieces. Use what you got to get back in the lead.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
This it's the first "good bye" post in a while to follow what others here have stated would be a productive complaint post.

Stated specific problems with the car and the process used to diagnose and fix the issues.

OP, if I had all those failures so quickly in a short time i would most likely get rid of the car too. I had a Jeep that at 130k needed 5k in repairs, it was time to move on. $2k in 60k miles is a little high.

The only thing that is a little unrealistic is that SOA would give you more than a $500 credit. Dealers make the deals. If you have a good relation ship with them why not talk to them about a new car... get a low price... Then add the $500 credit to that?

Life is like chess, don't give up the game because you lose a couple pieces. Use what you got to get back in the lead.
Not to mention SOA is not in the used car business. Dealers are 3rd party players and when they sell used cars its on the dealer to make the buyer happy or fix the issue. Like I said my first thought right off the start is that your driving a car that was dunked. It's on the dealer to fix this having sold you a car that probably should not have been on their lot to start with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually had lined up a deal with the dealer-they would give me low trade for my car and sell me a 3.6 SAP at a fair price. While this deal would seem fair on the surface, I would be eating approximately $2000 in recent repairs thus my actual trade in value is what I could get from the average used car lot. Here's how I hoped the conversation with SOA would have gone

Me. I've had all these documented problems and expenses which make me concerned about buying another Subaru given oil consumption issues, tire concerns, radio hum, lousy Nav, etc etc.

Subaru. It sure looks like you got a lemon and we can verify that you have had to put a lot of $$ into a car with relatively few miles. We are also concerned that some of your issues could have safety repercussions

Subaru Headquarters is thinking

1. This person is a multiple repeat Subaru owner
2. He's had some real, documented, expensive and seemingly premature issues with his car
3. This guy is willing to stay with our product
4. Our net profit margin on car sales is 10 % (or whatever)
5. Given this guy has documented problems and expenses and it is in SOA's best interest to kee him happy and in the family, let's offer him 5% back on the net price he pays for a new Ru.

This way, we move a 2013 unit which will soon be obsolete
The dealer makes a sale
Our customer is happy
We keep the owner in the family

Kinda seems like business 101

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I'll take it off your hands for the 2k that you had to put in to the repairs :)

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
92 Posts
I agree and acknowledge that mechanical things fail over time as evidenced by my comment regarding the axle boots in my original post. My issues are that the car only has 62,500 ish miles and all the "electrical issues" TPMS, ECM and O2 sensors occurred in the last 6 months with the first and second O2 sensors failing 2 days and less than 100 miles apart. The ECM was $970. This car is clearly out of warranty and SOA has no obligation to do anything. My call to SOA was to afford them the opportunity to sell a new 3.6 SAP, keep me as a somewhat satisfied customer and encourage me to purchase my 4th Subaru. From my perspective, they did not exhibit any interest in doing that.

One major part in obtaining goals or identifying success is setting realistic goals. To say that SOA let you down because they only offered you $500.00 is a bit unrealistic. If they didn't care they wouldn't have offered you anything. Your disappointment is based on the reality of what they offered vs the amount or option you had in mind. What exactly was the amount or option you had in your mind that would have showed that they cared?

Probably the biggest cause for the issues with your car is that you put less than 8k miles a year on the car for a period of almost a decade. The worst thing you can do to a vehicle is not drive it. Ask any mechanic and they will likely tell you the same. They are designed to be driven.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
One major part in obtaining goals or identifying success is setting realistic goals. To say that SOA let you down because they only offered you $500.00 is a bit unrealistic. If they didn't care they wouldn't have offered you anything. Your disappointment is based on the reality of what they offered vs the amount or option you had in mind. What exactly was the amount or option you had in your mind that would have showed that they cared?

Probably the biggest cause for the issues with your car is that you put less than 8k miles a year on the car for a period of almost a decade. The worst thing you can do to a vehicle is not drive it. Ask any mechanic and they will likely tell you the same. They are designed to be driven.
And you can ask an engineer who will tell you they wear more the more they are driven. yes, a car that stands almost all the time may get problems of some sort (mostly with rubber components, and getting problems like tire rot), but neither the electronics nor the mechanics will have problems (besides me being an engineer, my son is an ASE Certified Master Technician).

And yes, it is possible to convince SOA to pay a higher incentive than $500 to buy a new Outback. That is the reason why I have another Outback!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts