Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I really want to get some "Ditch" lights on my Gen 5 outback. Currently looking at the LP Adventure hood brackets but with shipping to the USA they get a bit pricey. Any other options out there? Doesnt look too hard to DIY

I also ideally want to be able to easily swivel at least one light around (for night photography purposes). Any good mounting options out there?

What is everyone running for lights on these? Rigid Dually's ? Lot of nice options out there but some are quite pricey.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I run Baja Designs S2 in work/scene light on an ADF bracket for my ditch lights.

For photography/camp setup, I have a light mounted on my roof basket via ram mount meant for a motorcycle mirror that I can swivel around. I can take a picture later, I recently took off my basket to remove some rust.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have Baja Designs S2 on LP Adventure brackets.
I think they all work same but if you need to swivel why not just replace the hex nut on the bottom with a wingnut then you can loosen and readjust and re-tighten by hand?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anderson Design & Fab sells them, and they are American Made. Im running KC Hilites C3 lights. Easily adjusted with the wrench I leave in my tool kit in the trunk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, first post...

I've got the LP Aventure (Lachute out of Quebec) brackets. Only ones I've seen made from stainless steel. Mounts easy. Spent more time making a wiring harness, wiring relay, and adding a switch inside the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, first post...

I've got the LP Aventure (Lachute out of Quebec) brackets. Only ones I've seen made from stainless steel. Mounts easy. Spent more time making a wiring harness, wiring relay, and adding a switch inside the car.
If you don't mind posting some more info about your switch setup and how you wired it actually I would be very interested. Was there a good spot you found in the dashbor maybe by the lower left light controls to put something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Essentially I piggybacked the "12V outlet" fuse (armrest outlet) as the signal wire to the relay. I happened to have a leftover PIAA foglight switch that I never used because I wired the PIAA's to use the OEM foglight switch.

I popped one of the blanks from the lower left dashboard and ran the switch wire thru. I used some double sided tape to stick the switch so I could see the LED because those bitches are bright and I'd hate to forget them on.

The wire runs thru the firewall grommet to the relay by the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you replace the OEM fogs? Was also looking at upgrading the bulbs on those to something brighter and more yellow

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Essentially I piggybacked the "12V outlet" fuse (armrest outlet) as the signal wire to the relay. I happened to have a leftover PIAA foglight switch that I never used because I wired the PIAA's to use the OEM foglight switch.

I popped one of the blanks from the lower left dashboard and ran the switch wire thru. I used some double sided tape to stick the switch so I could see the LED because those bitches are bright and I'd hate to forget them on.

The wire runs thru the firewall grommet to the relay by the battery.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did you replace the OEM fogs? Was also looking at upgrading the bulbs on those to something brighter and more yellow
I replaced the OE fogs with 4000 lumen halogens. Never need brights again and they don’t blind on-coming traffic. Also put a 12,000 lumen light bar mounted low for times when I am off-road or on a remote road filled with critters. The light bar is on a separate circuit and is controlled from a toggle on the dash
2E4E527F-194D-4272-A883-9F7D625EF5C9.jpeg
2E4E527F-194D-4272-A883-9F7D625EF5C9.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't replace the OEM fogs, just added some. So both sets of fogs operate off the OEM switch on the steering stalk switch.

I ended up building brackets for them, but they're a little Ghetto Fabulous. I couldnt justify >$300 for a light bar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Were the fog light replacement bulbs an exact swap with the same connectors? Do you have a link to the make/model of bulbs?

Are those deer whistles on your hood?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts