Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Premium - Satin White Pearl
43 Posts
You probably have already done it, but I found this guy's instructions and pics very helpful. 2010 Subaru Outback: First Oil Change Frozenrobot

Subies are easy as **** to change oil/filter. My old 2001 Impreza 2.5RS was even easier than the 2010 2.5i Outback. The only major difference is the location of the filter. The 2010 OB has the filter between the exhaust pipes so it gets pretty hot. So I highly suggest not warming up the car too long or you will burn! Actually don't even warm it up, just move the car from one side of the garage to the other and you should be good. ;)

You don't even need to jack up the OB and it took me about 30mins. :) I highly suggest buying OEM filters and replacing the crush washer everytime. Oil filter wrench is great to have and highly recommended. Just find the one that fits the subie filter, I found mine at Orielly's.

You don't really need that fumoto valve to be honest. I had it on my old Impreza, but on the OB, the oil pan drain plug is facing pretty much straight down, so draining is not much of a problem. I just bought a set of oem filters with the crush washers included for a really great deal (ebay), and I'm good for at least 10 oils changes. Also, I'm using full synthetic as well so I go about 5-7K miles per oil change.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Premium - Satin White Pearl
43 Posts
The fumoto valve threads did stick out beyond the thickness of the oil pan, when I had it on my Impreza RS. I had to cut a slit halfway down the thread just so the oil would properly drain. That is why I just passed on it on the OB.
Also another concern I had with the valve was that it stuck out a bit more than the stock plug, so I worried it would get damaged if it hit something on the road. It saves you a bit of time and cost of the crush washers every oil change, but honestly IMHO you really don't need it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.