Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
The OB 2.5 couldn’t get any easier, upright filter and drain bolt both within an arm’s reach.

I wonder about the Fumoto/spigot-type valves.<O:p</O:p
Assuming the same condition as with the oem plug/bolt, the male thread protrudes beyond the thickness of the sheet metal (inside the oil pan). It appears the drain hole is at the pan low point, thus removing the bolt completely drains the most oil. Conversely, the spigot captive thread blocks the pan low point (at least equal to the male-thd height) = sludge.<O:p</O:p
Also, given the position of the drain hole/plug, I would think that drain valve sticks out (?).

My observation… With the plug out I let it drain for ~hr, and it still drips when I close the drain. I use a PureOne filter which is longer than stock, and fill 4.7qts to exactly the full cold/hole dipstick.<O:p</O:p
Anybody measure the Fumoto oil displacement?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I’m not sure I can quantify the time/washer-cost saved on the Fumoto.
Time… DIY is to allow more time to drain.
Cost… the oem crush-washers are $0.52 ea, and is easily offset by oil cost (especially by the case). And the Fumoto isn’t free either.

Pssst… even my dealer says (of which he will plausibly deny under oath) you can use the washers 2x.
And I’m not surprised either, my Accord has the same type and I’ve tried/tested it several times – no leaks till the next dump. Albeit pointless given the washer cost.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
There is no aftermarket, only at the dealer’s. They come in 5-pack, or they can break it each (same price). And no sense in online, unless he’s 50 miles away.
PN-803916010.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Depends too how tight/loose the difference between cap-wrench/filter. A latex glove between cap/filter works too. The only problem for me was the first time (indicative of installed dry at the factory), before I got too far and got stuck in my garage I brought it to the dealer. No problems on succeeding dumps, with just the bare cap/filter.<O:p</O:p
Yes, most importantly lube the o-ring. Hand tight the filter on, wrench 1/4 turn for extra security.<O:p</O:p
To remove… after breaking loose > remove cap wrench > grab the filter with a cold cup (pre-2013) and hand remove, no drips.<O:p</O:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.