Subaru Outback Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
OK... So maybe I'm the only person who has this problem, but when I removed the oil filter last night, I got hot (not scorching, thank God) oil all over my hand. It must have been a cup or two worth of hot oil that gushed out. Anybody else drench their hand in oil?

This was my first oil change on this car, but I've been changing my own oil for years. And yes, the oil had drained from the car already. (I let it drain for 30 or so minutes.)

To remove… after breaking loose > remove cap wrench > grab the filter with a cold cup (pre-2013) and hand remove, no drips.<O:p</O:p
This might be a really dumb question, but 'grab the filter with a cold cup' means....? Just use a regular ol' plastic drinking cup to grab the filter and catch the oil as it comes out? If so, I really wish I'd thought of that (or seen this thread) before doing the change.

Thanks.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
This might be a really dumb question, but 'grab the filter with a cold cup' means....? Just use a regular ol' plastic drinking cup to grab the filter and catch the oil as it comes out? If so, I really wish I'd thought of that (or seen this thread) before doing the change.

Thanks.
Yep, I have a pack of Solo cups (red of course ;) ) just for this. Loosen by hand, then slide cup over it and finish removing it with the cup on the filter. It catches all the oil spillage and makes it neat and clean.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Yep, I have a pack of Solo cups (red of course ;) ) just for this. Loosen by hand, then slide cup over it and finish removing it with the cup on the filter. It catches all the oil spillage and makes it neat and clean.
Thanks! I'd just never heard the term 'cold cup' before. I've definitely heard of Solo cups! I have some old stadium cups from Bryant Denny laying around that will work perfectly next time.

Thanks again.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.