Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: This is my first post and the site will not allow me to put in the image links. I will re-post with the proper images and links when I am able to do so.

I converted the low beams on our '10 Outback and thought I'd share the experience.

Changing the halogen bulbs has been a PITA, and I find myself doing it about every 18 months. I decided to go for LEDs in the hopes they will last.

Parts - Prices have been falling. Via amazon, I purchased some very inexpensive hardware:
$16.50 - "Heinmo Plug and Play LED Car Led Headlights kit" (H7)
(URL redacted)
Note the LED and an original halogen in the box for comparison.
(Image redacted)

$9.99 - "CAR ROVER Car Headlight Seal Dustproof Cover"
(URL redacted)
(Image redacted)

Time: It took me about two hours end to end, quite a bit longer than just swapping in another set of halogens. The awkward location and access to the headlights compounds what would otherwise be minor complications with clips, wires, etc. associated with the LED bulbs.

Process: While in the past I've turned the front wheel in and only partially removed the liner, for this job I removed the wheel and wheel well liner. I recommend this, as getting the LEDs and new dust covers in requires good visibility and access.

1) I started with the right (passenger) side. Jack the front wheel off the ground and remove. Make sure you work safely - use jack stands and additional supports with the jack to make sure your car will not come back down. Locate the grey dust cover (upper right in photo). Twist to unlock and remove.
(Image redacted)
(Image redacted)
(Image redacted)

2) Remove the electrical connector by pulling straight back, unhook the spring clip on the left side, and remove the bulb. Note the orientation of the key tab to know how to insert the new bulb. Also note the shape of that spring clip in the picture; that U shaped tab drops down from the wire that pins the lamp in place, and the very end of it sticks out to hook in on the left.
(Image redacted)
(Image redacted)

3) Insert the LED bulb, matching the direction of the key tab observed when removing the original bulb. Seat it and gently try to twist left and right to make sure the tab is in the right spot and it is fully seated.

4) Now the tricky part: While holding the LED so it does not shift or fall out with your right thumb, use your fingers to flip the spring clip up and over the wire on the LED, then back over to the left, and push it in, down, in some more, then sightly up to hook it on the left. It ain't easy. :frown2:
(Image redacted)

5) Plug the wire from the LED into the connector pulled off the original bulb, and press together with your fingers. Doing this one handed in the confined space is tricky. When done, test the headlight. If it does not work, you may need to reverse the electrical connector.
(Image redacted)
(Image redacted)

6) Stretch the hole of the dust cover over the fan and heat sink of the LED, and over the wire. Try to seat it as far down the body of the LED as possible. Then press in the outer rim of the dust cover up to the headlight housing, getting the inner folds inside and a lip still on the outside.
(Image redacted)

7) Re-assemble wheel liner, replace wheel, and take car off blocks/stands and jack. Repeat for other side.

I found the driver's side to be even tighter and harder to do than the passenger side - maybe it's because I'm right handed, but maybe too because there were more wires in the way. I was able to use long nose pliers on this side to get the spring wire hooked back in. Here's a picture before I tucked the wire back in and placed the dust cover:
(Image redacted)

Focus and scatter with the LEDs is not as sharp as the halogens, but still pretty good - better than I expected given the thickness and larger light emitting area of the LEDs.

I hope these notes are helpful!

Cheers,
- Neil

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
Focus and scatter with the LEDs is not as sharp as the halogens, but still pretty good - better than I expected given the thickness and larger light emitting area of the LEDs.
The focus and scatter will not be the same because the parabolic reflector in your OEM headlight is not designed for an LED emitter.

You may very well be blinding oncoming cars now because of the offset origin of the light source.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The focus and scatter will not be the same because the parabolic reflector in your OEM headlight is not designed for an LED emitter.

You may very well be blinding oncoming cars now because of the offset origin of the light source.
A valid concern. Testing against the garage door showed the cut off line to be not as sharp as the halogens but still very good. Observations confirmed in a test drive where the cutoff was visible on reflective road signs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts