Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Won't be long before I'll need brake pads: front and/or back. Haven't yet examined them that closely but wondering if it'll be as easy as what I find for older years – for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTvQX612yFI&list=RDNTvQX612yFI#t=53

Thought I recall a poster saying the rear pads are totally different on Gen5 and require extra steps. Maybe someone can clarify that. Rather not spend what my dealer wants if it can be done in house.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I remember someone mentioning the same thing (about the backs being different) but the reasoning was the electric parking brake. I would think that it wouldn't affect the pads (due to it being actuated much before), but I can't be 100% sure.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium Eyesight
265 Posts
Are you beyond the 36k mile warranty? I believe it's been stated several times that the brake pads are a wear item under warranty and can be replaced under warranty, except in abusive driving situations.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you beyond the 36k mile warranty? I believe it's been stated several times that the brake pads are a wear item under warranty and can be replaced under warranty, except in abusive driving situations.
No but I hit 21K this month which is I why I started thinking about them. So how long should the brake pads last on my subie?

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
No but I hit 21K this month which is I why I started thinking about them. So how long should the brake pads last on my subie?
Every car is different, and entirely dependent on the driver. But I have never had a set of pads last less than 50k miles.

My '05 had the pads replaced by the last owner at 90k, and it has 150 on it now.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,219 Posts
My 2011 is just about to 50K miles and I think it's about time for new pads (hearing a grinding as I come to a stop). I won't get a chance to have them checked out for around a week though.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i base
44 Posts
Do somebody knows if you can push the rear piston caliper (using a c-clamp) without damaging the parking brake electric motor?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R, Venetian Red Pearl/Black Interior
225 Posts
This is from the 2016 Outback Factory Service Manual. It appears to me that you can. Information at the very end of the file.

Do somebody knows if you can push the rear piston caliper (using a c-clamp) without damaging the parking brake electric motor?

Attachments

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
pictures show what looks like a rather normal looking caliper with nothing preventing a normal c clamp from working, if they are pressed in pistons. a google/ebay search will bring some up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From the procedure provided in this thread, it asks to use the Subaru Select Monitor to set the brake in maintenance mode. I guess the maintenance mode retracts the rear break motor. Does anyone know which affordable system to use to do the same thing (retract the rear brake motor)? I am planning to replace the rear brake pads on my 2015 Subaru Legacy (Outback) soon.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,290 Posts
pictures show what looks like a rather normal looking caliper with nothing preventing a normal c clamp from working, if they are pressed in pistons. a google/ebay search will bring some up.
I have not done brakes on my Subaru, but the ******* in me uses a big screwdriver and the old brake pads to push the pistons back. Did that this morning on my Yamaha FJR1300 when I removed and reinstalled the front wheel using old brake pads. Calipers have to come off, left and right, because the space between is only about 1/3rd the width of the wheel.

On automobiles use the screwdriver between outside pad and outside caliper before removing from disc. Caliper comes off the disc easier when piston(s) are retracted.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
793 Posts
Ya know....when you get your pads replaced, you can replace them with 'lifetime' pads.

Why don't car makers install 'lifetime' pads at the factory?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
The Select Monitor operates the MC/ABS, per the 'Note' instructions it's not required. As for releasing the p-brake, you only do so when you remove the rotor, which you don't need to replace pads.
Go to Harbor Freight for an $8 piston compressor similar to the illustration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Select Monitor operates the MC/ABS, per the 'Note' instructions it's not required. As for releasing the p-brake, you only do so when you remove the rotor, which you don't need to replace pads.
Go to Harbor Freight for an $8 piston compressor similar to the illustration.
This may be the case for 2014 or earlier Outback/Legacy. From 2015+, the rear break does not come with break shoes anymore, and it only has break pads. More importantly, 2015+ rear break has a motor gear like some European brands, e.g., Audi/VW, Volvo, etc.:

REAR BRAKE.. Fits: 2015 Subaru Legacy Limited Sedan w/EyeSight 2.5L CVT 4WD | Subaru Parts Online

To my understanding, the motor needs to be retracted before piston clamp can be used. Can someone offer some advises on this, especially on the rear break job on 2015+?

·
Registered
431 Posts
This may be the case for 2014 or earlier Outback/Legacy. From 2015+, the rear break does not come with break shoes anymore, and it only has break pads. More importantly, 2015+ rear break has a motor gear like some European brands, e.g., Audi/VW, Volvo, etc.:

REAR BRAKE.. Fits: 2015 Subaru Legacy Limited Sedan w/EyeSight 2.5L CVT 4WD | Subaru Parts Online

To my understanding, the motor needs to be retracted before piston clamp can be used. Can someone offer some advises on this, especially on the rear break job on 2015+?
Read the "Note" part. The Subaru Select Monitor is not needed. Unless you've "set" the parking brake, the motor is retracted.

·
Registered
My wifes 2016 2.5 LTD W/ Everything -and 2" Eco-hitch
189 Posts
Ya know....when you get your pads replaced, you can replace them with 'lifetime' pads.

Why don't car makers install 'lifetime' pads at the factory?
LIFETIME doesn't mean that one set of pads lasts forever, just that if you take them down to .0001-.0003" (exaggeration) they will supply a new set of pads. Not labor. In my experience. I am amazed somebody thinks pads need replacing at 25k - I've had Honda pads last well over 100k!

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,290 Posts
LIFETIME doesn't mean that one set of pads lasts forever, just that if you take them down to .0001-.0003" (exaggeration) they will supply a new set of pads. Not labor. In my experience. I am amazed somebody thinks pads need replacing at 25k - I've had Honda pads last well over 100k!
"Lifetime" is often a self-fulfilling prophecy. The part kills you as it fails.

Steel pads on a steel rotor will last a long time, but not stop the vehicle very well. Lots of damage to the rotor. When selecting brake pads one must consider fiction properties, and brake rotor wear. Would you rather replace pads and rotor every time, or maybe 3 pads per rotor?

30 years ago 30k miles was a long time for brake pads to last.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts