Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Sold: Outback H6 Now: 300ZX
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To disable Daytime Running Lights, simply look under the driver side dash. To the left of the steering column is a box running vertically with two identical black and white connectors. Simply unplug the white connector only. Doing so will disable DRL while maintaining all other light functions.

Pictures:

Connector unplugged:

This should work on all 2000-2004 H6 Outbacks and Legacy GT models. I can't confirm it will work on H4 or Legacy L models.

·
Registered
07 Outback, LL Bean
20 Posts
Nifty,

Just picked up my 07 OB L.L. Bean and would love to disable the DRL and also the seat belt connect chime.

Anyone know how to do these?

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
Great pics, not much the write-up, but not much is necessary, so it is great. THANKS! This should be really useful to a lot of people.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,072 Posts
Why would someone want to disable this safety feature?

I can understand being annoyed by the seat belt chime, or something like that, but headlights being on while you are driving in the day time? You can't even see them from the inside of the vehicle, so how can they annoy you?

I don't get it.

·
Registered
07 Outback, LL Bean
20 Posts
wilsonhp said:

I can understand being annoyed by the seat belt chime, or something like that, but headlights being on while you are driving in the day time? You can't even see them from the inside of the vehicle, so how can they annoy you?

I don't get it.
They don't annoy me at all. They just cause premature headlight bulb failure.

If you can't see a car coming toward you in the daylight, you should sit in the passenger seat only.

In my opinion, they are not a safety feature at all.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I believe it is safer to run with your headlights on than with them off, but I think you should be able to turn them off if you want to. Which is what this Mod does. When you have DRLs with these cars, it is very easy to drive around at night with nothing but the DRLs on, which means you have no taillights. By not having DRLs, you are forced to turn your headlights on at night. So all depends on your priorities, to each his own.

·
Registered
106 Posts
wilsonhp said:

I don't get it.
I'm with Wilson on this one. It's a safety feature designed to assist other drivers with seeing you. Aside from the obvious oncoming traffic, I prefer to drive with them on the freeways of So Cal, so that people changing lanes know I'm there.

As for the seatbelt chime - it goes away when you buckle it - sounds like a good (proven) solution to me.

I know it's to each their own, but it just seems moot to me.

·
Hokey Pokey Champion
'05 Gold OBXT Stg2+
3,592 Posts
I know this is uncommon, but you also need to disable the DRL's if you want to install a HID kit. I will be doing this shortly.

FWIW - the DRL "plug" is in almost the exact same place on 05-07 models. It's labeled "DRL" and it takes all of 10 sec to unplug and (reversably) disable them.

Anecdotally, my headlights have now burned out twice in 23k miles. I'm not sure if the DRL's are to blame, but that is a whole lot more often than I like.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Well, this may sound funny to some of you city slickers, but I disconnected mine because I often hunt from my car, and I like to be able to sneak around at daybreak or dusk on Forest roads without my headlights on. Many of us have good reason for wanting DRLs or not wanting DRLs, and they are all equally valid because they are important to US as individuals. We got around for **** near a 100 years without having DRLs on cars, so I don't think disabling a feature like this is in anyway questionable if you have a good reason to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
JazzyMT said:
I know this is uncommon, but you also need to disable the DRL's if you want to install a HID kit. I will be doing this shortly.

FWIW - the DRL "plug" is in almost the exact same place on 05-07 models. It's labeled "DRL" and it takes all of 10 sec to unplug and (reversably) disable them.

Anecdotally, my headlights have now burned out twice in 23k miles. I'm not sure if the DRL's are to blame, but that is a whole lot more often than I like.
Hey Jazzy, what are you doing to get around the auto leveling issue? I am assuming that the projector beam design of the 05 and up headlight housings accommodates the HID beam pattern well.

·
Registered
Sold: Outback H6 Now: 300ZX
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I personally disabled my DRL because I just got some new Silverstar bulbs and want them to last a long time, I saw a few other posts on here from people asking how to disable DRL, so bam, I made a DIY.

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
As for the seatbelt chime - it goes away when you buckle it - sounds like a good (proven) solution to me.
Not when the car is in "Park" and you're sitting there, say changing the CDs in the CD Changer... I've disabled my seatbelt chime since it is really meaningless. I always drive with my seatbelt, but I don't always sit in Park with it.

Jay

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd, 5EAT
72 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,094 Posts
I always run my headlights, (no drls) but when I want to park and have just the parking lights on, I just pull the ebrake up. With one click they go off, and I can still drive around with no headlights at all.
I dont believe that DRLs are a safety feature. If they're going to go that far, why not just make headlights permanent?

·
Registered
33 Posts
seat belt chime can be disabled by turnign the key to acc, and click and unclick your seatbelt 20 times within 30 seconds. Then turn the key off then back on. It will only beep when you first turn the car on. Otherwise you can drive at 100 with no belt and it won't give a ****. Also after the first time if your in park it won't beep either which is the real reason I did it.

DRL, while under a very few cirsumstances I have seen them work. Mainly they just increase your fuel consumption via draw on the alternator and engine load, and contribute to the stock value of the lightbulb companies.

·
Registered
07 Outback, LL Bean
20 Posts
flatsphere said:

Hi Flying Fossil,

If it's the same setup as for the 05 and 06 Legacy's, then check out this link.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2117&highlight=disable+drl

I did this on my 05 OBXT and my 06 LGT.

Cheers!
The seat belt chime worked fine after a few attempts. I simple switch would have been a lot easier. Someone stayed awake a lot of nights to dream up a 20 click routine for such a simple operation.

Unfortunately, the DRL's are not the same on the 07. I may have to spring for an independent shop to do it for me.
This again could easily been put on a switch to allow them or turn them off.
:9:

·
Registered
04 H6 LL Bean Wagon
325 Posts
One thing I would add is that there is a push in/pinch clip that is part of the white connector that obviously needs to be pushed in. Otherwise, very easy and tests your contortion abilities.

·
Registered
2009 outback wagon 2.5
68 Posts
i've just gotta throw my .02 in here...

as far as headlamp life, i've run w/ headlights/taillights on 24/7 since the car was new in '01. love that suburu option. have put a grand total of 1 lamp in the headlights.

most if not all of you don't work out on the street around traffic. it's really nice to be able to see the headlights of an oncoming car in your periphial vision. w/ the drl's, my job is safer.

to each their own tho...

kl

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually one biggest reason I need to turn off my DRL's is driving in snow. In upstate NY you can't have anything but the fogs on in a bilzzard because of the glare.
And yes i expect to get a response that says well don't drive in the snow. However if you've ever lived in the snow belt, that's wishful thinking, you will get caught at some point esp with nightly lake effect.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium; 2012 Impreza 2.0i Premium (wife's); a pair of white, 1972 Porsche 914's (one on the road, one one of these days); 2006 HD FLHRI Fireman's Edition; 1971 HD XLCH "work in pro
72 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I just joined yesterday, and am glad I did. I hate DRL's, personally, and am happy to report it worked on my 03 H4 wagon the same as it does on the H6.

The hardest part was getting twisted around to see up in there and unplug it...I wear a size 56 coat...

BTW, here's a link to a site dedicated to exterminating DRL's...some interesting reading, and I have to say I agree with him:

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html

Maybe DRL's work, maybe they don't...they are mandatory on motorcycles, and more often than not cagers (drivers in cars) STILL try to kill me every chance they get!

~R

1 - 20 of 65 Posts