Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that Evil Twin's DIY oil change thread pictures had been lost in the Google cloud; which is unfortunate, because his thread is way more informative than this one and the pics were sick. Read his https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...533-diy-10-11-3-6r-oil-change.html#post308871 and look at the inferior pics in this thread. Hopefully, these pics won't be lost in the Google cloud, but I can't guarantee it.

The main difference in this thread is that the quick change doesn't require a 17mm socket and ratchet. The downside is that if my Fumoto valve gets clipped by a rock - things get ugly quick. I don't need a skidplate for 99.99% of what I do. So I guess the convenience is worth the risk. The correct number for the Fumoto valve is the F-105.

Oil and Filter:
Subaru (Black Roki) Filter
Just shy of 7 quarts of 5w30.

Tools:
Gloves
Rag

Make sure oil container is below valve.

Open Valve.

Remove old Filter

Close Drain.

Add a little oil to the new Filter and install.

Add just shy of 7 quarts (including what went in when you primed your filter) of your favorite (or whatever was on sale) 5w30.

Put the filler cap back on. Start the motor. Shut it down. Check your level on the dipstick. Done.

Not that it hard to grab a ratchet, 17mm socket, and a new crush washer - the Fumoto just makes it a tool-less fluid change.

I have used the valves on my last three vehicles without problem, but they do add a certain amount of risk with one more part that could be snapped off or possibly fail.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i w/Moonroof - Deep Indigo Blue
63 Posts
when installing the Fumoto Valve, how tight should that go on? Torque?

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
What is the part number of Fumoto oil drain valve for OB 3.6 engine. thx:)

·
Registered
2014 3.6R SAP Carbide Gray
12 Posts
great thread. I like the black plastic bumper "guards" on the corners, what are those?

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
Got it , thanks jogo.

·
Registered
2011 Graphite Gray 3.6 R Limited
46 Posts
For those who install the F series valve, you can also purchase part LC -10 for added piece of mind. It is available thru fumotousa.com

LC-10 description per fumotousa website
"SMALL LEVER CLIP FOR F-SERIES VALVES
The Fumoto lever clip gives you extra security while using Fumoto Valves under normal or unusual conditions. No Tools required! The lever clip can only be installed when the valve is 100% in the closed and locked position."

My service contract for my 2011 Subaru 3.6R Outback is completed. I will be changing oil soon. I noticed that some members use black filters vs the normal blue filters. Are these black filters OME and their corresponding part # for 3.6R? If so where do you get them?

Also I am thinking of changing to synthetic oil. Any recommendation and any duration between oil change? Much thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts