Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I plan on doing my oil change this weekend. I took a quick look underneath the car and saw the oil filter is near the front and is vertical with exhaust pipes all around. I think I see the drain plug bolt, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't want to drain the CVT! Are there any pics of the location of the drain plug for a 2010 Outback?

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
on the 2010-2012 models:
- Filter is located underneath the car.... The exhaust wraps around where you need to reach for the oil filter.
- ...there's a strong probability that you will burn your arm on the exhaust.
FYI - this
is perfect for removing the oil filter and not burning yourself

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
...get a fumoto valve...:29:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did the oil change this morning. Some comments.

I drove the front wheels on a few stacked 2x4's to get the vehicle up a few more inches to give me room. Could have done without, but why struggle?

I think the previous mechanic used a impact wrench to put on the drain plug! :( I had to get out my 1/2" drive breaker bar on a 14 mm socket to loosen it.

I used my Lisle 63600 tool to get the filter off. No problems. It was a little messy with the oil dripping down, but not bad.

Installed plug with new crush washer and torqued it to 34 ft-lb. This seemed tighter than I was expecting. Next time, Fumoto valve! No more crush washers. ;)

Filled new oil filter with oil, smeared new oil on gasket, hand tighten it as much as possible. I think I got about 3/4 turns after contact. I hope this is enough as the FSM and filter itself stated 7/8 turns, but it's hard to get to it with the exhaust right there. I didn't want to use the Lisle on it (plus, I'm not sure if this can be used to tighten!).

Filled it with Castrol GTX 5W30. I used about 4-1/3 qt. It still seemed a little low, but took it to the store and back. Let it sit a few minutes and checked again to see it at the notch, above the upper hole. Weird! Seems like I gained oil during the trip.

Overall, a pretty easy job in nice weather. I'm not sure I want to do this in 20F weather in February!

·
Registered
49 Posts
where does everyone purchase said Fumoto valve for the best price and which one is for the engine model described in this thread?

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
My gen 4 doesn't look like that :) Maybe we should add that this is for the b series engine?
...yup...the rest of us schleps have to crawl under our OB in order to get the filter..which is between two exhaust manifold...off...:28:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
where does everyone purchase said Fumoto valve for the best price and which one is for the engine model described in this thread?

Order from here. Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™

For the 2010 thru 2014 2.5 Outback, you want the F108 series. I would recommend the F108S. Search results :: Qwik Valve

It has a short nipple on the end. A small plastic hose barb comes with the valve. this hose barb snaps onto the nipple. Either order the 3/8" tubing they offer, or pick up some elsewhere. Attach the tubing to the hose barb. When you get ready to do an oil change, you snap the hose barb/tubing assembly onto the nipple of the valve. Put the other end of the tubing into a container for the waste motor oil. Open the valve and the oil drains directly into the container that you will take to the recycler. Easy as that. Close the valve. snap off the hose barb/tubing assembly and wipe off any waste oil. No mess. No fuss. No cleaning out a drain pan afterwards. Unless, of course, you are one of those schleps that has to pull the oil filter off the bottom of the engine, and you use an oil drain pan to catch dripping oil from the filter. :rolleyes:

If you have any fear about the valve getting caught on underbrush or such, and accidentally opening, but the safety clip also. It would be cheap peace of mind. Also, I ordered a few extra of the plastic hose barb, so I would have them if it ever wore out. Who knows. Maybe the original will last as long as my car. But, they are only $1. Nice insurance. http://www.qwikvalve.com/product.php?productid=16297

·
Registered
36 Posts
What filter wrench do you guys use for the new 2.5 oil filter on top of engine? I did my first at home oil change on my 13 I had a cap style wrench fit over filter but slipped and ended up with channelock pliers to get it loose I think popeye the sailor man works at the dealership that had done the previous 2 changes! !! I wish the subie filters had the grip stuff like the frams and purolater pureone filers do!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
What filter wrench do you guys use for the new 2.5 oil filter on top of engine? I did my first at home oil change on my 13 I had a cap style wrench fit over filter but slipped and ended up with channelock pliers to get it loose I think popeye the sailor man works at the dealership that had done the previous 2 changes! !! I wish the subie filters had the grip stuff like the frams and purolater pureone filers do!!!!
I used this: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool. It's adjustable, so I'm sure it would fit your filter. I got mine off eBay for under $10 with shipping although I think the identical one with a Fram name on it was available in Walmart.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anyone know if the 2015 OB has the drain plug in the same spot? There is a cover over the bottom of the car and I can't really get underneath to check.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yesterday, I did the first oil change on my 2014 after six months and 3k miles. That was about the easiest car ever, and the mess is very well contained. I may go one better and get the Fumoto, that seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

And I didn't use ramps, just a single piece of 2x4 under each tire. There's no need to go higher and make long paths for the drips to blow around.

One reason I like doing my own changes is so I don't need tools for the oil filter. I used rubber garding gloves take the factory filter off -- I understand they are sometimes overtightened, but mine came off using both hands and a lot of grunt.

The spec on the Mobil 1 I put on said to tighten until touching, then add 3/4 turn. That does not need a wrench. We'll see what happens when I take it off in the spring, but with my other cars, I never need an oil filter tool.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just did my 7500 mile change & put on Fumoto on my 2014. Can not imagine how easy it will be next time. No ramps - Probably no tools at all - Might need a filter wrench but it is sitting right on top. I got the one with the hose so I wont even need a drain pan - straight in a jug.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The spec on the Mobil 1 I put on said to tighten until touching, then add 3/4 turn. That does not need a wrench. We'll see what happens when I take it off in the spring, but with my other cars, I never need an oil filter tool.
Which mobil1 filter did you use? I haven't looked for a year, but last year the only one they had did not have the higher bypass pressure spec that the subaru ones have.
Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just did my very first one at 3700miles and wish I did it sooner, it was pretty dark and thick coming out.

Didn't use ramps, the drain is easy to reach. I thought the oil filter would spill because it is upside down but no problems there either.

The hardest part was the dipstick. Hard to read because it smears on the tube so easily.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts