Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this is a very simple DIY but if I can save one person from going to the dealership and paying to have these installed, I will be a happy guy.

Plus, I'm obsessive about tracking everything I do with cars, so here it goes..

Equipment needed: Rear cargo nets (P/N F551SAJ101 you can get here) and/or rear side compartment nets (P/N F551SAJ201 you can get here)
Tools needed: Drill, 1/4" drill bit, 1/2" drill bit
Level of difficulty: Low
Time needed: 10 minutes

The installation is a piece of cake, especially for North American vehicles that have the hole locations already marked with dimples. First step is to locate these four dimples (or two, if only doing the rear cargo net), shown here circled in blue (two on either side of the vehicle):

Next, use the 1/4" drill bit to drill pilot holes through the dimples. Use ONLY enough force to break through the plastic trim; about 1/4" depth.

Now that you have the pilot holes, switch to the 1/2" drill bit to expand the holes. Again, only go about 1/4" deep (just enough to cut away the trim). You may pull out some white sound deadening material, that's O.K., but don't go deeper!!!

"Hard" work is over. Put a black spacer on the mushroom plug, push into the holes, and turn clockwise until snug.

Loop the rear cargo net and/or rear side compartment nets around the mushroom plugs and the bottom plastic hooks through the tie-down hooks in the vehicle. Done.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the information. I went by the dealer and they had the hardware packs - 7.00 for one set so if you have two side nets you need to buy 2 packs. Used the nets from one of my traded in outbacks. Works like a charm. Got to admit I was nervous drilling, but no problems.

·
Registered
2017 Carbide Gray Metallic Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2014 Venetian Red Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited (sold), 2011 Ruby Red Pearl 3.6R Outback Limited (sold)
181 Posts
So the Rear Cargo Net hooks onto the aft Side Cargo Net mushroom plugs? If side nets are installed looks like no additional drilling for the rear net?

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback: 4EAT: Sidney Blue Pearl
4 Posts
I am interested in retrofitting side cargo nets to my 1997 OBW, but nobody makes ones sized to my model year, at least as far as I've seen. I've found side nets for newer models, but measurements aren't listed. I think they'll work, I'd just like to be more certain before purchasing.
AORiver, would you be willing to provide measurements for the distance from loop to loop both top and bottom as well as the height and width of the side nets? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
158 Posts
does anyone have the part number for the hardware? I have a set of side nets left over from another subi but I need hardware

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am interested in retrofitting side cargo nets to my 1997 OBW, but nobody makes ones sized to my model year, at least as far as I've seen. I've found side nets for newer models, but measurements aren't listed. I think they'll work, I'd just like to be more certain before purchasing.
AORiver, would you be willing to provide measurements for the distance from loop to loop both top and bottom as well as the height and width of the side nets? Thanks.
The picture below shows the dimensions between the cargo net mushroom plugs and hook connectors. The cargo net is pretty much the same dimensions as the loop, but could be stretched a little wider since the loops are elastic.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ No problem, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

·
Registered
1963 gt
3 Posts
Thanks for your great tip. Highly appreciated. Seriously, you would be happy to hear that you have saved mine money which I was going to pay to the dealer.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Premium
373 Posts
I've been wondering about this since i got my car but couldn't explain it well: what is that little door-type thing on the left side of your top picture? thanks.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your great tip. Highly appreciated. Seriously, you would be happy to hear that you have saved mine money which I was going to pay to the dealer.
That was the goal - glad to be of help.

I've been wondering about this since i got my car but couldn't explain it well: what is that little door-type thing on the left side of your top picture? thanks.

Outlined in red is the shopping bag hook. It swings down and you can hang plastic bag handles on it, then push it back up to lock.

It doesn't really work with reusable bags though, which is where the cargo nets come in handy.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Premium
373 Posts
That was the goal - glad to be of help.

Outlined in red is the shopping bag hook. It swings down and you can hang plastic bag handles on it, then push it back up to lock.

It doesn't really work with reusable bags though, which is where the cargo nets come in handy.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback: 4EAT: Sidney Blue Pearl
4 Posts
The picture below shows the dimensions between the cargo net mushroom plugs and hook connectors. The cargo net is pretty much the same dimensions as the loop, but could be stretched a little wider since the loops are elastic.

-IMAGE SNIPPED-
I can confirm that Gen4 side cargo nets can be made to fit in a Gen1 trunk. I used one mushroom plug per net (I already have a rear net, so I used the existing mounting hardware for both). For the lower hooks, I used the existing cargo tie downs.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
you mean you have to drill? no thank you, i'd never have the nerve for that.

oh wait, i drilled into the sheet metal on my fenders and drilled hundreds of holes to put my bumper back together.

·
Registered
80 Posts
^^I believe that little flip/clip is referred too as a 'grocery bag holder' or something similar in the owners manual.

When you flip it down it does do a decent job at holding plastic grocery bags.

But I've got all the cargo nets installed, and they work much better. :)

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV CVT
18 Posts
Feel good today, you just saved somebody else a few bucks :)

Just finished putting in some side and front nets. It took longer to clear out the back and vacuum it out than it did to pop the mushroom thingies in there :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Question, does the rear net nearest the hatch come with everything I need except the drill? If so, done deal! This forum is so much help...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Question, does the rear net nearest the hatch come with everything I need except the drill? If so, done deal! This forum is so much help...
Yes it will - two mushroom plugs, and the net.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dude you kick ass btw. I am going to subscribe to just about everything you posted. We seem to have most of the same taste in car mods and quality of workmanship.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts