Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always enjoy reading threads that show DIY-maintenance on cars so I thought I'd share one I did this afternoon.

Tools needed: None
Level of difficulty: Low
Time needed: 2 minutes

Have you ever seen this light come on and thought, "Aw man, there goes another $325 at the dealership"?

Well let me show you how to do it yourself!

First, buy a bottle of this stuff. I like Krystal Kleer because it's cheap and available locally, YMMV. You can get it here but any windshield washer fluid should suffice.

Next, remove the safety cap by pressing in on the sides and turning counterclockwise at the same time. If this is a new bottle, you may need to remove a foil seal as well.

Then open the hood by pulling the hood release latch. (Don't forget the safety catch when actually popping the hood!!!)

Locate the windshield wiper fluid cap on your Outback.

And remove it by lifting the cap up.

Carefully pour in the fluid, filling to the "Fill" line on the plastic reservoir neck.

Close the cap, recap the windshield washer fluid bottle, drop the hood and you're done!

Coming soon: Cargo Net Installation, WeatherTech Floor Mats Installation, and more!

:7:
I just couldn't wait for April 1

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,954 Posts
Rob, I followed all your steps, but when I tip up the jug nothing comes out.

Is there a step missing?

Am I using incompatible fluid?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Well Dave, it could be one of two things: first, the bottle may be empty; second (and more likely), did you remember Step 2 - removing the cap?

Also, I want to mention that it is recommended that you disconnect the negative battery terminal before doing this, but it's not absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
Foil?

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Good catch, edited original post. Probably saved a lot of people some frustration there!

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Someone might be more bored than I am today :)

On the 2009 and earlier Outbacks, there is no "low washer fluid" light, but the third generation cars have a dipstick for the washer fluid that will tell you the level (since you can't see the tank). In the 2004 and earlier cars, the reservoir is visible so you can clearly see how full it is.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

Moderator, do we really need another ** RIDICULOUS THREAD ** ?

Looby

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,338 Posts
Moderator, do we really need another ** RIDICULOUS THREAD ** ?

Looby
This thread technically meets criteria for DIY.

"I'll allow it."
(to be read in the voice of the referee from Celebrity Death Match)

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
You forgot to metion to select the tempurature range for your location. If it's -60 outside and you use "all-season" it will freeze.

:p

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
You forgot to metion to select the tempurature range for your location.
But first, we'll need a pictorial DIY-HOWTO for determining one's location.

"If it's not one thing, it's another!"
- Roseanne Roseannadanna

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,907 Posts
This thread technically meets criteria for DIY.

"I'll allow it."
(to be read in the voice of the referee from Celebrity Death Match)
...this thread technically meets the criteria for someone who should not be driving in the first place...but it is a great laugh...why didn't I think of this...oh yah...I am still trying to figure out how to get the cap off the reservoir...I lifted but it won't open. I think it is stuck...lol..oh...this is too funny...lol..:D

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
822 Posts
I always enjoy reading threads that show DIY-maintenance on cars so I thought I'd share one I did this afternoon.

Tools needed: None
Level of difficulty: Low
Time needed: 2 minutes

Have you ever seen this light come on and thought, "Aw man, there goes another $325 at the dealership"?

Coming soon: Cargo Net Installation, WeatherTech Floor Mats Installation, and more!

:7:
I just couldn't wait for April 1
F'n Genius. Next, or after you do the cargo nets and floor mats, maybe you could do one on filling the coolant overflow. I was having trouble with that one. Just a thought.

Well done!

Ummm. That filter on top sure is goood lookin'. I see a bunch of nice pics in a '13 2.5 DIY oil filter change thread (w/out the actually oil change to make the oil last longer.)

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Can you walk me through what to do when the "low fuel" light comes on? My wife usually takes care of that, but she went out to lunch, and I would like to use the car. ;)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bumping this to the top. It's winter time, consider topping off with some deicer. :jester2:

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Just watch the foil I've seen people typically poke it with their car key then leave loose bits of foil hanging off the bottle as they pour it. Foil in the water tank could foul up the works. Just say'n

Recent temps would also suggest if the fluid in the refill bottle is frozen solid it may not pour even with the lid and foil removed ;-)

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Actually, this DIY is less complicated than the version in the owner's manual. Thanks for saving me all that wasted time reading when I can just look at your pictures. K.I.S.S.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
AO River - how did you come up with 2 minutes "time needed" ? Have you actually timed that?

Is this a "slow-move" or has that been specifically allocated to senior citizens suffering from arthritis...LOL

1 - 20 of 45 Posts