Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering since we Subaru owners all suffer from lack of custom/dress up/performance accessories (unless it is for Impreza/WRX),

What have you done to get the accessories that you want?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We can get some good stuff our OBs, but, for my '90 Legacy sedan, getting parts is another matter.

I've read universal Impreza strut braces work, probably an early Impreza intake tube would work too.

Surreal Image opened a hole for an extra charge of air and an underdrive pulley.

I have an idea to make my own custom intake and currently I am shaving huge amounts of weight by making my own aluminum brackets, yea, every gram counts!

Just this past Saturday I scored a set of stock '90 14 hole aluminum rims (14" was looking for 15") for $12 each at U-Wrench-It. I've been looking for two years for a complete set, so I'm happy, even if they are small!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a few parts that have made for my '90. I've ID'd a few things on my '02 OB and am looking forward to them as soon as I get my jig saw fixed/replaced.

Attachments

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
I've been clicking like mad!

I'm going to be burning my warranty and getting a new headers & exhaust and adding an intake.

I'd also like to upgrade the brakes, but that will have to wait a bit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The only thing I have planned is to remove the bad headgaskets and replace them with good ones.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not having much experience with Subarus, I'm actually quite unaware of what can be done. What can I do to a '99 OBS to improve performance, etc? I'm always looking for ideas for DIY stuff! :D

Matt

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Well the most basic mod I tell everyone about is the Universal Subaru Intake Silencer Removal. Other than that I had a Custom Intake built for my H6-3.0, there's not a whole lot of "Do-It-Yourself" things I've seen done to any Outbacks nor do I think there are that many you could do without a great imagination :)

·
Registered
97 Outback LTD EJ25
5 Posts
as far as body kits are concerned, there is virtually nothing available unless you want to go full custom. i have seen an awesome looking gold 2000 model wagon that was at the tokyo auto salon, but i have not been able to find any more images or info.
The WRX is the same chassis as the liberty/legacy and im pretty sure forrester is too, just with a different body around it, so all mounting points for bars etc are the pretty well the same.
I know in my case, a 97 wrx bar will fit my 97 OB, but would have to be widened about an inch, change to a normal legacy style grille (not big open oval shape) and the shape of the wheel arch has to be re-moulded. Not too much work if you're handy with fibreglass.. s15 silvia bars can be modified to fit without too much hassle i am told. i got quoted about $1500 AUD plus my original bar to modify one to suit.
As for suspension, engine, driveline etc, everything is interchangable.

·
Registered
97 Outback LTD EJ25
5 Posts
Mericet said:
The only thing I have planned is to remove the bad headgaskets and replace them with good ones.
not a 96 - 98 model ej25 by any chance???
been there, done that ;)

mine blew when i was 50km out in the forrest while marshalling at a local rally... cooked the motor which was incentive to build a tougher one :p

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
OK, this one is so minor it barely deserves mention - I've added squares of reflective tape to several spots on the car.

I put it on the insides of the doors, which are visible to the rear when the doors are open, to help indicate that part of the car is projecting beyond the width indicated by the stock tail-light reflectors. Same thing with the inside rear corners of the hatch.

I also put two sections of red reflective tape on the backs of the rear rack supports. My intention was to have some kind of reflector surface higher than stock, to give a first warning of the car's presence to someone cresting a hill behind it in the dark.

I'm considering putting white reflective tape on the sides of the front rack supports, to put some reflectivity between the front and rear sets.

(the Babe Magnet benefit of these mods appears to be minimal *G*)

·
Registered
194 Posts
sneh said:

not a 96 - 98 model ej25 by any chance???
been there, done that ;)

mine blew when i was 50km out in the forrest while marshalling at a local rally... cooked the motor which was incentive to build a tougher one :p
Actually mine is a 99 with the EJ25.

·
Registered
194 Posts
SHO Type U said:

are these vehicles known for blown head gaskets in general?
Just for a few years. I believe the new headgaskets from Subaru solves this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The WRX is the same chassis as the liberty/legacy and im pretty sure forrester is too, just with a different body around it, so all mounting points for bars etc are the pretty well the same
is that a joke??? a impreza chassis the same as liberty? i heard you saying as well that a dog box in aus costs 10k, haha yeah rite. try 5k!

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
upgrades

Since I shatterred my front (lower) engine cover in the snow! I have replaced it with a custom folded aluminum skid plate from a local Subaru rally racer. It's open on the sides and easier to change oil too!

I plan on giving my '03 outback a 2" body lift/nudge bar and some better brakes!!! lighter pulleys/cold air intake.:cool:

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
My do it yourself project is quite a small one.

On the new 3.0R Outback on the inside of the upturned spare wheel there is a cast foam piece where the jack sits. As I have a socket set that I like to carry around and no place to put it I decided to make a different foam set up inside the spare wheel.

I went to a foam rubber place and bought some heavy duty 2" and 1" thick foam (the type used for mattresses, but a very firm type). I used a template to cut out the foam to the inner dimension of the spare wheel and glued them together to make layers. I made 2 seperate pieces of layered foam glued together. One piece for the socket set (bottom most piece) and one piece for the jack (top most piece).

The bottom most layer was 2" and had a small hole in the centre for the hub of the wheel. The next layer was also 2" and cut out to suit the socket set box and then glued to the first layer. The bottom piece ended up being 4" total thickness.

The 3rd layer was 1" and basically left uncut to leave a barrier between the socket set and where the jack would eventually sit above it. The 4th layer was also 1" and I used the jack as a template to cut out to suit the jack. The 5th layer was 2" and also cut out to suit the jack. The 3rd, 4th and 5th layers were then glued together to make one piece to suit where the jack would fit. The top piece ended up also 4" total thickness.

So, I ended up with 2 pieces that fit into the spare wheel. The bottom most piece housed the socket set (made up of the first 2 layers glued together). The top most piece (made up of 3 layers glued together but not glued to the first 2 layers) to house the jack.

I used a jigsaw set on highest speed with a blade for cutting wood to cut out the foam. I used glue that is sold by the foam rubber shop to glue it together. It is a type of contact adhesive especially designed for foam rubber.

Fits nicely and looks good. Much better than having the socket set flying around the rear of the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hei Lizard and 3.0R have great ideas, the reflector tape is excellent. The foam rubber mod is already giving me ideas for other vehicles, including my new '03 pop up trailer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts