Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I am an ardent DIY'er, have been a SAAB owner for 21 years, of which the recent 15 years have seen us as an exclusively SAAB household. I am trading in my '08 9-5 Aero Sedan daily driver today for a very low mileage '19 Outback 3.6R. As result, I am looking for advice regarding the following items which are common DIY tasks.

Maintenance Interval:
Accustomed to doing Major Maintenance at 60K mile intervals with oil & filter changes at 5K miles intervals. What is the recommended intervals for Subaru?

Spark Plugs:
Because of SAAB's high-tech ignition systems they pretty much run best on only NGK plugs. What does the Gen 5 3.6R require?

Oil & Filter Recommendations:
I am accustomed to using Rotella T6 5W/40 in my older SAABs and Mobil-1 0W/40 in the less old ones. What is recommended for the Gen 5 3.6R engine? Is there a recommended alternate filter size? (the older SAABs used a very small filter which is recommended to be up-sized by many.)

Coolant and Transmission Fluids:
Is the coolant to be the Pink fluid common for Japanese brands?
Subaru only Transmission fluid with the CVT?

Rear Sway Bar:
Not a maintenance item but I ran across a link this morning recommending an upgrade to a 19mm or 20mm rear anti-sway bar on the Outbacks. I did similar on my SAAB Viggen to make the car less deadly. Is this anti-sway bar upgrade a highly recommended change for the Gen 5 Outbacks or highly unusual?

Brake Pads:
Recommendations for pad or rotor changes to improve brake feel, i.e. more aggressive braking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5 w/eyesight
23 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I knew someone with a saab convertible and she loved it. They made quickly little cars it's a shame that they no longer exist.

Intervals for oil are 6k miles. Intervals to other maintenance should be in your manual. I would follow those.

Oil is 0w/20 I hear a lot of people saying good things about Amsoil but Mobil 1 and Rotella are good oils too. Stock filter should be fine. Haven't heard anything about it being too small.

Transmission fluid is claimed to be lifetime fill by subaru but most will disagree with that claim. People that do change fluid have to pump it out and then put in the same amount they took out. 60k-80k is probably a safe range to do transmission intervals. Subaru has their own CVT fluid but there is a member here that used Amsoil.

Personally I have no issue with the way my Subaru drives with stock brakes and stock sway bar.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,678 Posts
...Oil is 0w/20 I hear a lot of people saying good things about Amsoil but Mobil 1 and Rotella are good oils too. Stock filter should be fine. Haven't heard anything about it being too small.
OP has a 3.6R - that engine was designed to run conventional 5W30. The correct intervals can be found in this thread from last week (similar topic):
The correct fluids can be found in your owners manual. Coolant is "asian blue" type - be sure to get something compatible or use Subaru's coolant - IMO, it's a total waste to change this type of coolant before 100k miles and once you touch it you're required to switch to a 60k interval (it's conservatively rated for 130k). Everything else can be found in Subaru's FSM - plenty of folks make silly mistakes by not referencing the FSM before attempting to DIY certain jobs. You can get it with paid access to STIS ($35) or possibly via internet search (not sure if the 2019 FSM is out there, but earlier Gen 5 FSMs can substitute for most things). Plugs are NGK and only NGK (SILFR6C11). All available evidence I've seen suggests that oils and filters are no big deal for this engine (IOW, good UOAs from cheap oil do exist) - don't overthink it, IMO. RSB is overrated, IMO, but plenty of folks have done it and recommend it. The stock brakes don't have the bite some like, but the pads are good quality from Akebono (kind to rotors, very quiet and very low dust). They will stop the car just as fast as anything else you put on assuming your foot works - tires are more important here and the stock Bridgestones are pretty poorly rated (I found them ok until I was maybe 2/3 of the way through the useable tread).

·
Registered
195 Posts
19' 3.6r with 34k miles.. I personally buy OEM parts due to convenience and ability to get wholesale prices since I work at a shop. I have my own technicians do the labor for me, usually paid with lunches or cash. 🤑

Comparing Saab with a Subaru is literally the same as comparing an orange to an apple, totally different beasts..

Maintenance Interval:
Accustomed to doing Major Maintenance at 60K mile intervals with oil & filter changes at 5K miles intervals. What is the recommended intervals for Subaru?

-I been changing my oil and rotating tires every 5k, easier to remember.
-Cabin filters are done once a year (12k-15k). (I drive 15k a year, no bad odors. If I notice a bad odor, I spray Lysol or Ozium with A/C on for a few minutes)
-Air filter every 30k
-I will be replacing the front & rear diff fluids @ 45k miles (dealer suggested @ 30k).
-I will be replacing the spark plugs @ 60k
-I will drain & refill coolant @ 60k.
-Wheel alignments every 1-2 years

Spark Plugs:
Because of SAAB's high-tech ignition systems they pretty much run best on only NGK plugs. What does the Gen 5 3.6R require?

-From AllData, here are the spark plug specs: NGK: SILFR6C11 = NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug
-I am going to assume that a spark plug purchased from Subaru will have Subaru Packaging but NGK stamped on the actual plug.

Oil & Filter Recommendations:
I am accustomed to using Rotella T6 5W/40 in my older SAABs and Mobil-1 0W/40 in the less old ones. What is recommended for the Gen 5 3.6R engine? Is there a recommended alternate filter size? (the older SAABs used a very small filter which is recommended to be up-sized by many.)

-Dealer puts in 5w30 conventional.
-I have got in the habit of buying gallons of 5w30 synthetic (mobil, castrol pennz, etc) whenever they are on sale during my normal WalMart runs.
-I use OEM filters but FRAM or Mobil is sufficient as long as you are replacing every 5-6k

Coolant and Transmission Fluids:
Is the coolant to be the Pink fluid common for Japanese brands?
Subaru only Transmission fluid with the CVT?

-Coolant is blueish green.
-CVT, OEM preferred. I would highly suggest getting someone familiar to do the service, there are numerous horror stories where indie shops confuse the trans/diff fill & drain plugs.

Rear Sway Bar:
Not a maintenance item but I ran across a link this morning recommending an upgrade to a 19mm or 20mm rear anti-sway bar on the Outbacks. I did similar on my SAAB Viggen to make the car less deadly. Is this anti-sway bar upgrade a highly recommended change for the Gen 5 Outbacks or highly unusual?

-No complaints here and I drive pretty aggressive on the highway/city roads. I don't take turns/corners as fast as I do in my Cadillac ATS-V or my previous Impreza, those cars are lower to the ground so taking corners is a lot more fun. The OB is a lil higher off the ground so I honestly don't feel comfortable taking the turns/curves at full speed.

Brake Pads:
Recommendations for pad or rotor changes to improve brake feel, i.e. more aggressive braking.

-I vote OEM. Keep in mind, the OB is actually made for many different markets and demographics all over the world. OB's are used to commute to work (daily drivers), haul families safely, offroad/overland excursions, driven in extreme cold/hot weathers, etc.. I think the engineers take this into consideration when designing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all. I have had mixed experience with Akebono Ceramic pads. Work great in my wife's 9-3SC. Sucked big time in my 9-5. I switched that car to Textar semi-metallic after almost hitting a young child who darted across the road in front of me and the Akebobo pads could not quickly slow the car.

Is FSM the acronym for Factory Service Manual? Does it include a Parts Manual as well?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,678 Posts
All I know is my stock brakes are perfectly capable of activating the ABS system instantly for a panic stop (beast in the road). If they couldn't do that, I'd be getting the system checked out by a professional.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,370 Posts
Personal preference, I did not like the handling of the vehicle. I put a 19mm SB in the back, and a front strut tower brace in the front. I feel as though it improved the handling, and no, I don't plan to be taking it off-road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts