Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Limited
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the "wood" trim on the 2010-2012 Limited bugs me. It really bugs me. It doesn't even look like wood. I would have prefered the faux wood used on IKEA furniture because that, at least, looks like wood.

We can debate the quality of the trim pieces and different ways to paint or cover the "wood" trim with vinyl, etc., but I felt like the "silver" pieces looked better. Plus it's OEM. That was worth it to me.

Having said all that, here's how I replaced my "wood" trim with the "silver" trim from the base/premium models.

PARTS
There's seven pieces total. Here are the part numbers...
Front door left: 94218AJ05A
Front front right: 94218AJ04A
Rear front left: 94228AJ05A
Rear front right: 94228AJ04A
Steering column - rectangular piece: 66077AJ00A
Steering column - small triangle piece: 66076AJ02A
Glove box: 66076AJ03A

Here's where the various parts are listed in the parts catalog on SPW with prices:

Glove box & steering column pieces are labeled titanium, but it's the same as silver. I couldn't find where the small triangle piece is listed in the catalog. I had to give the VIN for a base/premium Legacy/Outback to the parts dept at a dealership for them to get me a correct part number.

TOOLS
Phillips screwdriver
Trim removal tool or a flat head screwdriver
Painters tape or rag to protect the trim you don't want to scratch

INSTALLATION
I originally tried to find someone to trade with, but this would've meant taking everything apart to remove the trim, putting everything back together, and shipping it off. I'd then have to wait 5+ days to get the silver trim pieces, then remove all the panels again and reinstall. A tad too long and too much effort for the cost of buying the trim myself and doing everything at once.

All the steps are already online in one thread or another so I'll just consolidate and link to relevant posts.

Front/Rear Doors
*Use painters tape to cover the painted surfaces on the b-pillar side of the doors/window openings before you remove the door cards. I ended up with some small scratches that had to be touched up.

Steering column (left side)

Steering column (small triangle on the right side)
*This was the scariest part since you have to pull the trim piece around the stereo.

Glove box

All told, it took about 2hrs to replace all the pieces and put everything back together.

Side by side of "wood" vs "silver"

subarupartswarehouse.com also has the trim in wood (bleh) and carbon fiber (too dark with a black interior).

Each of these is approx $400 + shipping for all the pieces. The silver was $116 + shipping. They usually have 15-20% off discounts so look for those.

P.S. I take no responsibility for your actions. This is just what I've done. I am by no means a Subaru tech or another kind of expert.

P.P.S. Big thanks to those that posted the various DIYs on how to remove the different trim pieces.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
Coming Soon: FS thread with wood trim pieces. :D

Me personally, I'd probably go the carbon fiber look, if its decent and not that superficial paint over silver crap. No doubt though that the silver looks better than the wood IMO.

·
Registered
'10 OB Premium 3.6R
143 Posts
I just pulled mine and painted them the color of my wheels. If you take your time it looks better than stock. Bringing some of your exterior color in to your cab has a nice looking.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Limited
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may pull mine and paint them in the future. Maybe with a more brushed aluminum look or to match the other trim pieces.

For now, I'm pretty happy with it. After selling my wood trim, I came out slightly ahead so can't complain about that.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5
14 Posts
I recently replaced my trim a few times.... the second time took a little over an hour!!

First... I replaced the trim with the Legacy GT's carbon look and then had my stock silver trim refinished with a silver brushed aluminum look....

I liked the carbon look... but the glare, reflections and finger prints where a bit much! :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Op what did you do with you're old parts? I actually like the wood look, I have a cloth Prem with the silver. IMO the silver pieces look "cheaper" than the faux wood. Too bad I didn't know of you're swap ahead, I would have traded you straight across for silver parts.

Anyone near Sacramento, CA or Nor Cal want to meet up and trade? I would like the faux wood instead, so if you want silver lets swap. If nothing turns up I'm likely going to wait for the 2013 wood which looks 10x better.

2013 Wood below...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Every time I see that picture my first thought is how ugly the auto show purple lights make that interior look.:eek:

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Limited
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Op what did you do with you're old parts? I actually like the wood look, I have a cloth Prem with the silver. IMO the silver pieces look "cheaper" than the faux wood. Too bad I didn't know of you're swap ahead, I would have traded you straight across for silver parts.
DOH! Sold them to another member on this site.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i PZEV Premium 6MT, 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe 6MT
266 Posts
I love the fake wood. WTB, folks for my new '14!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Anyone near Sacramento, CA or Nor Cal want to meet up and trade? I would like the faux wood instead, so if you want silver lets swap. If nothing turns up I'm likely going to wait for the 2013 wood which looks 10x better.

2013 Wood below...

I live in Truckee and would be willing to trade. Are you still interested?
I have a 2012 Outback Limited with wood grain trim.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My wife's '12 Limited has the same faux wood as the OP and my '14 Premium has the silver brushed aluminum look. I like her faux wood better.

The later faux wood pieces look cheap like pine with pecan stain. I don't know why they started doing that.

John

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Was it easy to remove the trim? No screws and they just pryed off with a trim tool?? thanks!
There are screws. You have to remove each door panel to get to them from behind. It's described in the first post of the thread.

Are people still doing this swap? I had my silver trim in the classifieds for ever and not a single bite. I thought people would be all over it, Oh well...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Complete "wood" trim set available

I just replaced the "wood" trim on my 2011 Outback Limited with OEM silver, as described in this post. I have all of the "wood" pieces available for sale if someone would like to buy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts