Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just joined the forum and just joined the Gen 5 club. Upgraded a month ago from a 1999 Impreza to my 2016 Outback.

My Outback came with the upgraded Harmon Kardon system and I think it sounded pretty good by I immediately noticed the complete lack of low end in the system. The stock “sub” is... awful. So, I hadn’t even had the car a week when I started looking at these forums for what others have done to add a subwoofer. I didn’t see any pre-bought options I liked and I didn’t want to take it to a shop and spend even more money. So I decided to try to DIY it.

My requirements:
Affordable
Take up no cargo space
Sound fairly loud, but quality
Have space for the spare, and all the tools
Spare cover to sit flush

I “finished” it yesterday after two weeks of research, planning, and mostly building. I’ll see how performs in the long term, with my primary concern being overheating (not that I will really push the sub that hard).

24FFC8D2-AD57-42E4-B85F-3EEA414D99D1.jpeg

I’m still waiting on a few things to arrive (such as a new pair of RCA cables..) but this is the mostly finished product. It sounds good, the sub meets its volume requirement, can’t tell its there, and all the spare tire and tools are in there.

I can give some more details if anyone’s interested, but I wanted to share what I came up with after finding so much useful information on these forums.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
209 Posts
You did a good job. It's nice and clean and, my guess, unless you were really pounding it for an hour+, you're not going to have an issue with heat.

Re: "Professional"
A LOT of these stereo shops and their "professional" installs suck. They have post-high school kids who don't understand what they're doing and do sloppy jobs (not keeping up with screws / wrong screws in wrong holes / missing screws, crappy connections, permanent damage, - just overall sloppy work). I wouldn't have some kid in some stereo shop touch my car.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited
1 Posts
Awesome! I would love to hear the details of what/how you did it. I noticed the same lack of bass in my "new" 2017 Outback with HK audio.

·
Registered
05,Outback XT Limited
323 Posts
I've definitely wanting to be upgrading the sound quality on the factory radio at low volume it sounds great but at the higher end to get kind of muddied in the bass drops out my attention is to hook up amp feeding off the rear speakers And only keeping the front ones for mids and highs and a sub the back love your idea it looks good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts