Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Been scouring the forums and reading up on lift kits. Wanted to add a slight lift to the car and thought I’d post up my experience and things we learned while doing the lift kit. Hopefully it will save someone some time and energy if you decide to go that route. Had much help from a very handy friend.

Materials purchased:
1” HDPE I bought from amazon. 12x12” was about 30$
Hardware was:
6 x m8 with thread pitch of 1.25 and 45mm.
4x m10 x 1.25 and 50mm. The 45mm isn’t long enough for my own comfort for a 1” lift. Hardware cost was approximately 10$.

Keep in mind these are Canadian pricing so for you south of the border, your total cost will probably be half.

Mark off the struts with chalk before you take them off to save you time later to align everything.

The rears you WILL need a second person to help you with this. Use a jack under the rear strut during re-installation to compress the strut and line up the bottom bolt. You may need a pry bar to help you get things lined up. I’m not confident that you’ll be able to do more than 1” without much more mods.

Mark off struts with chalk to align.
Rear need 45mm minimum.
Jack the strut up to compress and line up. May need pry bar.

Here’s some pics as well as before and after.

Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wasn’t able to find specific hardware info for the 05-09 outback/legacy so I thought I’d post it.

Also, if your time is a bit more valuable and you’d still like to get a lift in there, you might consider buying a kit instead. Lots of time was spent on this but I’m happy with the results.

Time for an alignment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And for further reference, tires are 225/50/17. Measurement from ground to the middle / highest point of wheel arch was 29” before and 30” after.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for posting this!
From what I've read so far my understanding is that a 2" lift would require at minumum the strut spacers and subframe spacers. Yes/no? Anybody?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Very nice. Did you use a drill press with a hole saw for the central hole?

Automatic Laser cutting of 1/4" HPDE / Delrin / nylon stock is possible, then you can stack multiple layers to customize your height. Had considered doing a quick production run of these on a 4'x8' sheet buy too many other projects...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for posting this!
From what I've read so far my understanding is that a 2" lift would require at minumum the strut spacers and subframe spacers. Yes/no? Anybody?
You'd definitely need the subframe spacers.

@Boo-saru The top hats had to be removed to install, hence the spring compressors.

@phatvw Yes, I believe my friend used drill press then hole saw. 1/4" also would've been possible but a lot of cutting involved and room for error. Automatic laser cutting would definitely fix that if anyone had access. Delrin looked to be a more expensive option when I was ordering and I wasn't sure if it could hold enough weight.

Looks like I'll be getting some slightly beefier tires once these are worn out:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
oh dear me ..... lets make the car dangerous ....... if you are going to do a lift then dont mess about ... either do it right or dont do it at all... you have made a safe car with out the lift into a dangerous car with "a lift " ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
waynieRS
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing