Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5i CVT PZEV Dark Blue
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going through a couple of dvd players and headrest monitors with no satisfaction, I decided to upgrade to 7in tablets for backseat entertainment for my two boys.

I decided on Google Nexus 7in tablets and Poetic covers for them. I wasted a few hours of time searching for dedicated headrest mounts but found nothing economical or useful.

I decided to go with tried and true velro wrapped around my headrest and used the flipped tablet cover as a mount. I found some cut-to-length velcro on amazon and cut it to fit.
VELCRO® Brand One-Wrap® Tie Rolls

The solution is easy to remove, stays in place during travel, and is easily adjustable so it works in my Outback and the wife's Forester.

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Nice, a removable touch screen that doesn't cost the $2500 the dealer wants.

·
Registered
'03 Outback Ltd wagon (2.5L/5spd)
47 Posts
1 device for 2 kids

Nice DIY job! :29: (DIY is always neat/smart/functional/economical.)

By the way, you mentioned "two boys". I have 2 kids as well, and one DVD player. They sorta argue as to which front-seat head-rest (driver side vs passenger side) it gets mounted. Do you have two of those tablets, or just one, for 2 kids? I've been trying to device something that sits in the middle of / between the front seats, but nothing sturdy/satisfactory enough yet...

Cheers,
- PiroChu

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 4yo and a soon to be 2yo. I have 2 tablets; 1 on each headrest. We dont use them all the time; only on longer trips. I converted all the kid dvds to mp4s so we have many options. I could not find a dvd player that would also play mp4s. The tablets work great and will provide more options in the future.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback
2 Posts
converting

this is getting a bit off-topic for the board, but what program do you use to convert your DVDs to mp4? I have DVDFab 8 but it seems that half or more of the DVDs I insert aren't recognized by the program (I'm on Win 7).

Look forward to your response since I use a similar setup but the kids always want something new to watch!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
97 Legacy.. soon to be 08 Outback
2 Posts
I just use windshield mount and stick it to sunroof instead and both my kids can see from behind. I have google N7 too.

·
Registered
3rd Outback - '21 Autumn Green Metallic Limited XT Outback
16 Posts
I back up my CDs using this software. DVD Ripper : Copy a DVD It's worked great for all of the kids DVDS.

BTW, the sunroof idea is brilliant!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I back up my CDs using this software. DVD Ripper : Copy a DVD It's worked great for all of the kids DVDS.

BTW, the sunroof idea is brilliant!
thanks for the tip.

yeah, a pic of that sunroof mount would be awesome. I would totally do that if I had a sunroof.

·
Registered
'02 OB H6 3.0 '09 OB 2.5i SE
110 Posts
One warning to those attempting to stick something to their sunroof (especially something as heavy and expensive as a tablet. Sudden stops may be a problem! I would stick with the headrest "mount". Especially if you do not wish to be decapitated by your media device...

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 LTD Nav/Eyesight
24 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good brand of mobile DVD players to take on trips? Maybe something that doesn't go back to the beginning of the DVD when the car is turned off?

Amazon has all these great car mounts. I just don't know what to put in them!

Amazon.com: dvd car mount

1 - 13 of 13 Posts