Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - 5 speed - 191K
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those not following all my drama, I have my engine out because one head gasket was leaking. Car only had 10k miles on it since the Head Gaskets were done on this car. Turns out one of the head bolts stripped its threads (see attached photo). I am dealing with that issue now.

I ordered one 2005 Turbo head gasket from Subaru. It came today and they seemed to have sent me TWO. I only ordered one. The other head gasket IS NOT leaking. Do I leave well enough alone or go ahead and put the Turbo head gasket on it. The head gaskets on it are the improved MLS design Del Pros.

I am too indecisive. I'm worried I take off the other head and run into 20 new issues.

Thoughts?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
in your particular case as you just did the work before, I would just do the one with the current trouble.

IF the existing intact good one is also a turbo subaru OEM gasket.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
If it isn't broken.......
You might need the other one in about 10k anyway lol. Too soon?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those not following all my drama, I have my engine out because one head gasket was leaking. Car only had 10k miles on it since the Head Gaskets were done on this car. Turns out one of the head bolts stripped its threads (see attached photo). I am dealing with that issue now.

I ordered one 2005 Turbo head gasket from Subaru. It came today and they seemed to have sent me TWO. I only ordered one. The other head gasket IS NOT leaking. Do I leave well enough alone or go ahead and put the Turbo head gasket on it. The head gaskets on it are the improved MLS design Del Pros.

I am too indecisive. I'm worried I take off the other head and run into 20 new issues.

Thoughts?
The existing GOOD head gasket is NOT a turbo HG. It is a FelPro MLS improved design.

I am thinking that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I am asking only because the engine is out of the car now.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts
The existing GOOD head gasket is NOT a turbo HG. It is a FelPro MLS improved design.

I am thinking that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I am asking only because the engine is out of the car now.
does that felpro have any coating on it at all.

someone posted a pick of one of the pale blue / pale green ones a few weeks back here. and all that crap had melted and it was leaking again.

I notice Felpro no longer sells those with that crap on them.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts
Here is a photo of one of them....

So....bite the bullet and do BOTH Head Gaskets?
I will defer to @ntippet who use work at a dealer as a mechanic and pulled six stars off his and put on subaru bare steel turbo gaskets.

but if you got 2 of those good subaru turbo ones in hand,...and you got the engine out now. no need to pull the engine again,..when and if that blue one craps out.

(while you are doing it,...you could think all the people that brush all of their teeth, vs. those only on the left or right side).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a photo of one of them....

So....bite the bullet and do BOTH Head Gaskets?
I will defer to @ntippet who use work at a dealer as a mechanic and pulled six stars off his and put on subaru bare steel turbo gaskets.

but if you got 2 of those good subaru turbo ones in hand,...and you got the engine out now. no need to pull the engine again,..when and if that blue one craps out.

(while you are doing it,...you could think all the people that brush all of their teeth, vs. those only on the left or right side).
I got the other head off without issue. One bolt was stubborn but no threads came out. I'm gonna run a tap down the hole and clean the threads. Will also run a die down the bolt threads. I ordered the Time-Sert kit to repair the one stripped set of threads on the driver side. Nervous about drilling into the block.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
I got the other head off without issue. One bolt was stubborn but no threads came out. I'm gonna run a tap down the hole and clean the threads. Will also run a die down the bolt threads. I ordered the Time-Sert kit to repair the one stripped set of threads on the driver side. Nervous about drilling into the block.

I'd be curious about the time-sert kit you ordered.. I haven't found one yet that has the 8"+ drill bit/tap plus the ~ 2.5" long thread insert that's required to get to the threads in the block. Especially for M11x1.25.

Were your FelPro gaskets leaking externally? And they DID still have the "FelPro" writing/ink stamp on them, correct? I've seen a few cheap knock-offs that have the same blue coating, but are not FelPro.

And IIRC, the turbo gaskets have a different compressed thickness than the non-turbo sets. You can use them, but you need to have the same thickness gasket on both sides in order to avoid any odd running issues that stem from uneven compression.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i SE 4EAT
131 Posts
Do them both. Why live with the stress of wondering, knowing you might have to pull it a second time "some day"? Plus they will match in both compression and age.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd be curious about the time-sert kit you ordered.. I haven't found one yet that has the 8"+ drill bit/tap plus the ~ 2.5" long thread insert that's required to get to the threads in the block. Especially for M11x1.25.

Were your FelPro gaskets leaking externally? And they DID still have the "FelPro" writing/ink stamp on them, correct? I've seen a few cheap knock-offs that have the same blue coating, but are not FelPro.

And IIRC, the turbo gaskets have a different compressed thickness than the non-turbo sets. You can use them, but you need to have the same thickness gasket on both sides in order to avoid any odd running issues that stem from uneven compression.
I'm doing both! I got the other head off without issues. I also got the Time-Sert thread repair kit and will be doing the bad hole this Sunday. Wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Woo!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Time-Sert was a breeze. New threads in. Engine going back together tomorrow. New gaskets and all the other new parts. Fingers still crossed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts