Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,248 Posts
356 CCA is a joke in my opinion.
356 CCA is obviously adequate for the FB25 engine, as long as the battery is healthy, fully charged, and actually capable of delivering that level of starting current.

·
Registered
18 Posts
356 CCA is obviously adequate for the FB25 engine, as long as the battery is healthy, fully charged, and actually capable of delivering that level of starting current.
You are describing a Brand NEW Battery. Not OEM that has been used for 3 years in my case.
There are lots of things that are adequate but some us don't like setting for just adequate whether its batteries or food.
A hamburger is adequate for curbing hunger but most folks would rather have a good steak.

·
Premium Member
7,248 Posts
You are describing a Brand NEW Battery. Not OEM that has been used for 3 years in my case.
In that case your complaint is not with a 356 CCA battery, but rather with a worn out, 3 year old battery that may (or may not) have been marginal even when new.

FWIW, I preemptively replaced the OE batteries in both our Legacy and Outback at approximately 3 years, even though neither had ever given us problems. My anecdote is just as valid as yours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In that case your complaint is not with a 356 CCA battery, but rather with a worn out, 3 year old battery that may (or may not) have been marginal even when new.

FWIW, I preemptively replaced the OE batteries in both our Legacy and Outback at approximately 3 years, even though neither had ever given us problems. My anecdote is just as valid as yours.
In my opinion 356 CCA 's for any 4 cylinder car engine sucks. My engine starter really performed very poorly in cold weather from Day 1 . Battery did fine in warm weather. My complaint is with 356 CCA's.
My New battery with 550 CCA's has made a huge improvement in cold weather starts.[From Day 1]

·
Registered
2018 OB 3.6 Limited
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have a 2018 3.6 OB it that is 3 years old. I still have the OEM battery and have had no problems. However, with all the posts about the bad Subie batteries, I decided to test it with a volt meter. Here are the readings.
1) First thing in morning, car has not been driven in 24 hours, 50 degrees 12.24 volts was the reading
2) After driving car for 1 hour, car not running 12.5 was the reading.
3) While car was running 14.35

Any thoughts....time for a new battery? If I get a new battery I was thinking of getting an Interstate from Costco, do they carry a group 25 battery? If not, should I get a group 24? will the heat wrap that is currently on the OEM battery fit a group 24? I will put in new battery myself. Thank You
T
fixed that for you. 😁
Thank you everyone for the advice. So I ended up getting a group 25 from Costco for $79. Put it in very easy and car works great. Had to reset the windows and the tire pressure gauge. The costco group 25 is a Interstate Battery with 550 CCA. Better than original. We will see how it lasts. Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i
173 Posts
So just tell them it is for a car that uses the battery that you want to buy. I doubt if they follow you home and check what you install it in.
Any idea what car uses the Group 24? I couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
93 Posts
Any idea what car uses the Group 24? I couldnt find anything.
I believe that Honda V-6 products all use group 24 batteries. Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline.

Reactions: jburner

·
Premium Member
7,248 Posts
Odyssey Says it’s 24F, same as Sienna.
Repeating what you probably already know, avoid Group 24F, which is a reversed-polarity variant of Group 24. (24F is used in many recent Ford vehicles.) Getting the battery polarity backwards can ruin your day ... a very costly mistake.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i
173 Posts
Repeating what you probably already know, avoid Group 24F, which is a reversed-polarity variant of Group 24. (24F is used in many recent Ford vehicles.) Getting the battery polarity backwards can be a very costly mistake.
Right. Good to remember. Too bad because it would work for either of my vehicles then. :)

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
903 Posts

similar, replaced last November the 48-month old battery that tested ok but had discharged and been revived once/reconditioned ... Based on experience I didn’t trust it to get through this winter, especially with mainly short trips due to Covid etc.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts