Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snapped my sway bar end link a couple weeks ago and it also damaged the boot on my outer tie rod when it came off. I recently replaced them both and I made sure to mark and tighten the outer tie rod to the same length that the original one was at. Do you think I should still get an alignment done after this and the end link replacement? I’m about to go on a long trip and want to make sure I don’t unevenly wear out my tires. Any insight appreciated!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,960 Posts
Link, no. Tie rod, well, you should, but the times I did it, I used OE parts and counted the turns to take the end off, then put the new end on the same number of turns. I think you're fine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Link, no. Tie rod, well, you should, but the times I did it, I used OE parts and counted the turns to take the end off, then put the new end on the same number of turns.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I counted the exact amount of turns also so I can’t really see how it would be off, but at the same time I waited too long to get an alignment after I changed an axle and I ruined my front tires and had to replace them all. Might just be worth getting?? Can’t decide.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,960 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I counted the exact amount of turns also so I can’t really see how it would be off, but at the same time I waited too long to get an alignment after I changed an axle and I ruined my front tires and had to replace them all. Might just be worth getting?? Can’t decide.
If it makes you feel better, but you have my opinion. Anytime I've had an alignment, my tires ended up in worse shape after, so...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it makes you feel better, but you have my opinion. Anytime I've had an alignment, my tires ended up in worse shape after, so...
Well **** now I definitely can’t decide. I have to drive about 600 miles Friday. I guess I’ll just check the tread after and if it’s worn at all unevenly then I’ll get one and if not I’ll leave it be.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,860 Posts
Any time I touch the suspension I think it's a good idea to get an alignment.

I don't always do it but I do think it's a good idea.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any time I touch the suspension I think it's a good idea to get an alignment.

I don't always do it but I do think it's a good idea.
I’m conflicted now. I just can’t see how it would be that off considering I measured the exact length of the tie rod and did the exact same amount of turns. That being said, I guess when my end link snapped off and damaged the tie rod, it’s possible that stuff got a little out of line. Maybe I’ll just get one done.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,860 Posts
I’m conflicted now. I just can’t see how it would be that off considering I measured the exact length of the tie rod and did the exact same amount of turns. That being said, I guess when my end link snapped off and damaged the tie rod, it’s possible that stuff got a little out of line. Maybe I’ll just get one done.
I just get one done when I get the car inspected since it's gotta go in anyway.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,173 Posts
Do you notice any change in the steering after changing the tie rod? If not, you got it back close enough to spec.
If you want, take a tape measure and maybe a helper and measure the width at the front of the tires and at the rear of the tires (the OB clearance makes this easier). You are making a rough toe check so measure from the same tire groove when taking the front vs rear measurement. In case, it isn't obvious, this is all on the front tires. It should be less than 1/4inch difference or even close to zero.
600 miles is not that much and unless the tires are egregiously out of toe, it will be okay.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
909 Posts
Rule of thumb is anytime you mess with suspension factor in an alignment.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Rule of thumb is anytime you mess with suspension factor in an alignment.
+1. Counting threads when replacing a tie rod end is not an exact science. Doesn't take much to be a couple of degrees off. An alignment is not as expensive as new tires. Seems like an easy decision to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts