Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a stupid question I’m sure but I’m going to ask.

I bought a 1,900 lbs insulated tandem trailer I’m going to park in my backyard for an office.

I only have a 4-way connector and Class IIi hitch. Just to drive it I’m home 40 miles, do I need to get a brake controller and 7-way installed?

Installing a brake controller is beyond my skill level I’m comfortable doing, and I’m having trouble finding somewhere in Memphis that installs them.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
Seems like a stupid question I’m sure but I’m going to ask.

I bought a 1,900 lbs insulated tandem trailer I’m going to park in my backyard for an office.

I only have a 4-way connector and Class IIi hitch. Just to drive it I’m home 40 miles, do I need to get a brake controller and 7-way installed?

Installing a brake controller is beyond my skill level I’m comfortable doing, and I’m having trouble finding somewhere in Memphis that installs them.

Suggestions?
Assuming the trailer has electric brakes that depends on what your total weight is going to be. Not really sure if it's different with cars than trucks, but I'd probably use them if your total weight will be over 3,000.

There are wireless brake controllers and also one that is integrated into the hitch assembly. Neither requires installation and should probably be fine for your relatively light trailer (unless the one that is integrated says it requires a minimum weight).

Here is the integrated one. Not sure if it would hang too low on a Subaru. Review for Intelli-Hitch automatic trailer brake controller

Not sure which the best wireless option is.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,226 Posts
I'd just get an adapter so the lights will work and haul it home for this one-time pull.
if TN is one of those states that require trailer brakes you will be running a non-compliant setup so you have that risk to assume. I don't think TN does since they are an otherwise free state, but it is up to you to check.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts