Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i Limited
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 OBW 2.5i limited with about 135k miles on in. When I bought the car 2 years ago, I always felt there was a "boy-oy-oy-yong" shuddering feeling when hitting the bumps, like the whole car was shaking. Hit a moderate bump on a turn (like an on-ramp) and I can feel the same shuddering along with the car taking a hop towards the outside of the turn.

I took it back to the dealer after I bought it and they swore that it was normal. Now those symptoms are worse. When I push down hard on a fender or bumper, it bounces up, then down, then it kind of wiggles a little before it settles. In older cars when I'd do this, it would go up and down and up and down if the shocks were bad.

So, I'm trying to figure out if I have bad struts, as I've long suspected, or if there are any other potential causes of these symptoms. SubaruOnlineParts.com has summer sale prices that make the OEM struts less expensive than any decent aftermarket option.

If replacing the struts is necessary, do I also need to replace the boots and bumpers, or is it fine to reuse the old ones? Or do we just replace them anyway?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2017 Honda CRV Touring
108 Posts
With 135k miles, it would not be a bad idea to replace all four struts. I am assuming that you bought it used, you have no idea what kind of roads or terrain the previous owners took the car. I know that every car that I have replaced the struts on has drastically improved the ride and overall control of the car. Your car should not hop when taking a turn, your probably have a leaking/worn strut. As far as replacing the rest of the hardware, that is up to you, I would personally just spend the extra cash and do it right so that you don't have to attend to it down the road.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts