Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,682 Posts
:2cents:...nope!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
i've never noticed and hard to imagine unless you were really refined and anal in your driving habits being 100% repeatable, etc.

*if* gas did cause variation in gas mileage i would assume it could vary wildly, like an indeterminate differential equation.....meaning for some vehicles it does make a difference based on engine type, engine condition, others it doesn't.....and then in some cases it might not make a difference and others it might...like city verses highway, flat land verses highway, towing or hauling heavy loads, heavy go pedal foot or not, big brake user...etc.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
I can get worse mileage if i go to BJ's Wholesale club or use some off brand gas.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
i've never noticed and hard to imagine unless you were really refined and anal in your driving habits being 100% repeatable, etc.

*if* gas did cause variation in gas mileage i would assume it could vary wildly, like an indeterminate differential equation.....meaning for some vehicles it does make a difference based on engine type, engine condition, others it doesn't.....and then in some cases it might not make a difference and others it might...like city verses highway, flat land verses highway, towing or hauling heavy loads, heavy go pedal foot or not, big brake user...etc.
Oh, c'mon. Differential equation -- give me a break.

Crappy, discount gas (irrespective of grade) is unreliable, the big-ticket national brands less so. Saving a few pennies a gallon, particularly for the more sensitive drive trains (and I'm talking about the XT ones here) just isn't worth it. This isn't an MPG issue so much as it's a crud-in-your-system issue.

Just buy good-quality gas, and you won't have to worry about this stuff. HPH

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Agree. I had to fire my old favorite cheap generic gas station when I got the XT. My '98 never seemed to mind but the new one always runs better and shows a slight MPG boost on the oil co. branded gas.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
^ Thank you.

One of the pleasures of driving rental cars is buying the cheapest gas I can find and not worrying about the consequences.

But I don't do that with cars I own. And my wife has been trained to buy only quality gas for her OBXT. (My tuned LGT-B is truly finicky indeed. Fortunately, we have 93 octane here at sea level.) HPH

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Seeing as I only buy "name brand" gas from stations that stay busy....nope.

Kaylee prefers pure gas when I can find it, but it is very rare.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Oh, c'mon. Differential equation -- give me a break.
that was a joke, was making fun of the idea...hence the "*if*" at the beginning of my comment. should have added a ;)

that being said i don't do the cheap gas outlets either. i have seen significant mileage reduction at one place. was super cheap and so it attracted business. back alley, sold nothing but gas (that should be a sign), and was very sloppy looking area/place. my grandmother frequented the place until we talked her out of it.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I'm starting to wonder about this with my 2008. I'm getting 17.1 MPG. It could be due to the extreme cold, my heavy foot, and my use of sport sharp mode a little too often, but I don't think I ever saw less than 18.5 in weather like this with my 2004.

I've always just run whatever 93 Octane gas I happened to be close to, but maybe the 2004 was a little less picky. I think I'll try Sunoco or Shell 93 next fillup to see if there's any change.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the reason i ask is that i seem to get about 2-3 mpg less with a gas like Arco compared to Chevron. Both stations are close to my home.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
It is possible. If they are not related chains, between your cars age/personaility and the chemical make up of the fuel (one may be more additve heavy then the other) it is possible.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
the reason i ask is that i seem to get about 2-3 mpg less with a gas like Arco compared to Chevron. Both stations are close to my home.
Dunno that I would expect that with arco. They are (were?) a big oil company. No idea what their setup is for gasoline production though.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
grossgary said:
that was a joke...
Ah, good. I'm reassured. :29:

NWSub said:
the reason i ask...
The truly cheap places (and I don't know about Arco either) purchase gas from whatever trucker comes along with some and I've heard (on the Internet so it must be true) that they get discounts for taking the stuff at the bottom of the tank, meaning it could be literally dirty. Between that and the unknown source, it just seems risky, for a high-performance engine, at least. HPH

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
In my Suby I really don't notice a difference. However, in my wife's 2012 Santa Fe, yup, I definitely notice a difference. If I fill it up at the Loves truck stop or local Shell or Conoco the thing feels lethargic through the entire tank and we are usually down 1 - 2 mpg. But, if we fill up at the King Soopers grocery store or the local Phillips, yowza, by the middle of the tank the thing really comes alive and we get our normal mpg back. It's sooo weird.

I can usually tell where she's filled it up as soon as I get in and get on the highway.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
402 Posts
A number of years ago I had a job which in which I had a company vehicle. My boss at the time always told us to use Chevron gas because of better MPG's. Anecdotal evidence at best, although I do seem to get slightly better mileage using it in the OB but not enough to justify the .30 or more cost per gallon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts