Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if everyone goes to the dealer for maintenance or goes to a independent Subaru place.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
It depends on the car. What do you have ...

A new car with a maintenance package? Or a 2010 with an aging CVT?

Reactions: Midas

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
For what kinda vehicle?

A 2017? Depends on the work needed.

Either of the ones in my fleet? LOLno. Well, actually Kaylee had her timing belt done at a dealer when we lived in Chicago, because they were within $100 of the indy place and gave me a loaner for the weekend.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
722 Posts
Midas,

It depends. I'm a backyard mechanic and do my own oil changes, brake jobs, etc. I've changed out trannies and motors, wheel bearings, window regulators, etc., but I wouldn't tackle rebuilding a motor or tranny.

I have a 2017 OBW Premier which is my 5th OBW. Ive had one of each new generation OBW since 1997.

When new and under warranty, they go to the dealership for warranty work. Once off warranty, I do the work myself, or I take the car to an independent mechanic on issues beyond my expertise because its soooo much cheaper than the dealership. And you should too. Be aware that some issues will require a Subie tech to fix them, such as Eyesight, as Subaru is the only manufacturer using this system.

That said, there are people who either have deep pockets, or just like the security feel that it gives them, so they always take the car to the dealership. It really comes down to what works for you.

What I can say is that I have had very few issues at all with any of the Subaru's that I've owned. They are almost bullet proof if properly maintained and treated with respect.

Gene

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2017 Outback
Was just in the shop for warranty work and had them do the 6000 oil change.
Cost was 88.00

Not sure if I should do the Oil changes myself. Use to do it on my other cars.

·
Registered
'17 OB Touring
107 Posts
I usually let the dealer do it until they demonstrate they are not capable. One time, after the first oil change (free) the car dripped old oil spilled on the lower cover all over my new driveway.

With another car, I got three different answers as to what weight oil was installed. The work order said one (incorrect) weight. The service manager said another (incorrect) weight. Then he went and checked and he came back with the correct weight for that vehicle. Who knows what they really used?

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
While under warranty, it goes to the dealer.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Dealer for recalls, independent for everything else.

The dealer bays usually have extended hours, nice waiting rooms with wifi & coffee, and they often have loaner cars.

My indy doesn't offer any of that, but they are 10 minutes closer and the labor rate is 35% lower. It may not be for everyone but that particular set of benefits is what does it for me.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,324 Posts
2017 Outback
Was just in the shop for warranty work and had them do the 6000 oil change.
Cost was 88.00

Not sure if I should do the Oil changes myself. Use to do it on my other cars.
$88 dollars?

filter is on top,

buy a couple subaru OEM oil filters online, full synthetic oil from wallymart.

and a nice oil extractor, and suck it up the dip stick tube. (then you don't even have to crawl underneath at all).
(this is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFJM14/ )

some dealers are doing them from the top too. (don't even need to tie up a lift).

and boy does this thread topic get posted a whole lot as a new thread,...when people stare at that oil change bill.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts

The dealer bays usually have extended hours, nice waiting rooms with wifi & coffee, and they often have loaner cars.

My indy doesn't offer any of that, but they are 10 minutes closer and the labor rate is 35% lower. It may not be for everyone but that particular set of benefits is what does it for me.
This is my general rule of thumb. I have yet, in my 20+ years of driving, owned a vehicle new enough to have a warranty but have had some recalls to deal with.

If it's a long repair and a loaner is provided at a cost that is within reason of an indy shop plus rental car, I'll go to a dealer. Otherwise, I do basic tune up and small repairs myself and indy for all else.

Reactions: johnre

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,364 Posts

What he said. And "independent" to me means for most small things "the shop of DIY".

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
...And "independent" to me means for most small things "the shop of DIY".
I usually get a 100% discount at TSODIY, but sometimes the boss is stingy about it. ;)

Yeah, I do lots of the little stuff at home, but I have my limits and they seem to be dropping as I age.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,364 Posts
I usually get a 100% discount at TSODIY, but sometimes the boss is stingy about it. ;)
Yeah, I hear you. And for a while I sometimes heard the boss say "why does it take you so much longer, I need this car now". Then she found out the answer one time with a hack mechanic who left parts off / loose / slipshod assembled, and that part of it was quieted.

I do lots of the little stuff at home, but I have my limits and they seem to be dropping as I age.
Funny how that is. When I was young I used to do things in winter in the Midwest outdoors with minimal tools. Now I have all the tools and an attached garage, and I don't even want to do things on the bare concrete - I'll drag out a mechanic's creeper.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback 2.5L NA
21 Posts
I do the maintenance myself, my next job is to replace the rear struts...

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Dealer only gets visited for recall fixes and the cvt 60k drain fill or failures that Subaru will fix at no cost to me.

All other stuff is basic easy stuff my local shop can do or I can do. This is our 2nd Subaru in 17 yrs back to back both not counting tires or oil were Less than $1000 service / parts cost through 100,000 miles.

The way dealers charge people for fake mileage based xxxxxx miles services Im sure lots of people have spent near $3000 on oil changes at the dealer by the time their car reaches 100,000 miles. No thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
80 Posts
My very first car, I always went to the dealer because I felt I wanted to have recourse with the manufacturer if something went really wrong. Of course, nothing did go really wrong in the 11 years I owned the car, so I simply ended up spending way more money than I would have at a reputable independent shop. All my cars since then have the small stuff (oil, sway bars, brakes) done at an independent shop, but big stuff (timing belts) done at the dealer. Sometimes I'll go to the dealer's quick lube annex because they offer a good coupon for an oil change. There's often a shorter wait there too because the annex doesn't do all the full-blown services that my local shop does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts